Rare Species

Thornius

I think more men should crochet...maybe they would have an outlet for their creativity

:welcome from Wisconsin and let me present you a:flowerfor joining us, along with :ghug. :tupfor beginning a fun way to spend a day. :wavingcome often and :dreaming of all your future projects like the rest of us. I hope you grow to :manyheart it here.

:hi and :welcome from Nashville! Well I'm not there now but it is my home. :)

Glad you found us. I look forward to seeing some of your projects.

I'm curious as to where you do your bird watchting? Radnor Lake?...or just your back yard?

Yes, I have birdwatched for 18 years, and photographed birds for the last 4. I started my training at Radnor Lake and The Warner Parks when I lived in West Nashville. I now live in Hermitage where I have added Long Hunter State Park, The Hermitage, Shutes Branch Recreation Area, and Hermitage Memorial Gardens to the other two, as favorite places to study birds. Most of my photography I do from my yard, that I am converting to a wilderness area because I am too lazy to mow. I built and set up 25 Bluebird nesting boxes on the grounds of The Hermitage National Monument about 10 years ago. I am the wildbird advisor for The GardenHelper.com, the world's largest gardening forum, with almost 11,000 members worldwide. One of the mebers there and here, Wrennie, told me about this site. They have been a great help in advising me on how to turn my yard into a tame jungle. In return, I tell them what that weird bird is that has been eating all their coneflower seeds or knocking the blooms off their hollyhocks. But, I have crocheted for TWICE as long as I have been birding.

Thornius, I admire you for your love of the outdoors (birds and wildlife). I too love the wildlife and try to protect whatever comes to my yard and my birdfeeders. I have yet to see a bluebird....and I know they are around here somewhere! I've got oodles of the goldfinches (little cuties) and we've got some Blue Herons and White Egrets that visit the pond behind our house in the common areas. Ducks that I've watched grow from little chicks and of course....the migrating geese. I think of the geese as airplanes when they form up to fly and and their graceful landings in the pond. I could spend all day looking out my windows watching every single move they make, but then I wouldn't get much of my crochet done, LOL! I would love to buy a farm and convert it into a wildlife sanctuary...that's been a longtime dream of mine, should I live long enough to see it happen. I could talk forever on the subject, so I'll just quit here and wish you and your family a wonderful Weekend......keep those binoculars handy :yes

Welcome!!

It 's great to see men doing needle crafts!!! I taught my husband to cross stitch shortly after we were married, he's just getting back into it with our DD. He finds it very relaxing, I look forward to seeing your work. But I don't think he will learn crochet but you never know!!

Hi! My friend Wrennie told me about this forum. I am that rarity, a MAN :eek that crochets!

Welcome, Thornius. I am on at least two Yahoo crochet lists with guys (actually, they are crochet designers) so guy crocheters aren't as rare as you think.:) Drew the Dude that Crochets in TX is one of them, and Peter Franzi, of Emeryville, CA (not that far from me, I am in San Jose, CA). Both sell their patterns online. So you aren't alone here in cyberland.

Daisy, if you want to see bluebirds......think golfcourses and horse and cow pastures. These are textbook examples of the IDEAL bluebird habitat. As a matter of fact, these are the places I go to to see bluebirds.

Thornius, you and I started crocheting for a similar reason! My husband and I were expecting our first child, and I wanted a crocheted afghan for her. Must have known she'd be a girl, they were kind of girl-y colours I used!

And my spouse does not crochet either, would be nice if he did, then his eyes wouldn't glaze over so much when I talked about my work!

Sally

Like many others have said, I wish my husband would crochet. But then again, I don't have the patience to untie all the knots that I am sure he would create. He prefers to play paintball anyway. He actually has had me make crochet bags for several of his paintball things.

Welcome, you will like it here.

Archived