Changing colors using a graph

Free2bme

Question

Hello ladies,

I want to try my hand at crocheting from a graph, but I'm having a problem keeping the yarn looking neat as I change colors. I know the mechanics of dropping color A and picking up color B, and then switching back to color A. The problem is when after I've completed the right side, I'll turn and proceed to the wrong side. When I switch back to color A, it's on the right side instead ot the wrong side and I end up with a mess of yarn from the right side instead of the wrong side. I guess my question is, do you carry both yarns as you go along? (all on the wrong side, of course). And if so, how do you do it?? :(

4 answers to this question

The real expert at explaining graphs is Tampa Doll, but I'll give it a try. If you are reusing the color that you just dropped within 5 or 6 stiches, go ahead and carry it across. If it is more than that, then you need to have that color on two different yarn bobbins. You can use whole skeins if you wish, but a yarn bobbin makes life much easier and far less messy when doing a graph.

Hope this helps.

I have done a few graphs now, and I will admit that I've carried yarn across more than 5 or 6 stitches...closer to 20....

I understand from your initial posting is how to keep all the changes on the wrong side of the piece and not showing on the right side? That was a little tricky to get used to, but if you keep in mind that all the bobbins hang on the wrong side of the fabric, and you need to do all the changes on the wrong side, it helps. When you're working across the right side of the fabric, all the bobbins are in the back, so it's easier to just switch and not have to think about it. The challenge (at least for me) was working across the wrong side. At first, I would put all the bobbins over the edge, so they were now hanging on the right side of the fabric...that's where I goofed myself up...keep them hanging on the wrong side, and it will remind you to bring the current color to the back before you pick up the new color...and doing it that way will keep all the changes on the back of the piece. After working a couple of wrong side rows, you'll get into the rhythm of it!!

Good luck!!

Jessie

Archived