Red Scarf Project 2007

Suebee42

I hadn't known about this project till I received the info in an email this year. I have 4 scarves made...just have to trim the fringe and attach the cards. Plan on mailing them out on Thursday. It felt so good to make them!

Doreen

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does anyone have a tag that they are putting on their scarves that they'd like to share? Are most of you just handwriting something?

redscarfproject2007.jpg

I just made up a card. They sell tags/small cards at the craft stores. I also purchased some heart stickers and a graduation/school inspiration sticker page (with sayings like: dream, believe, inspire, persevere etc) and made up my own little tags.

The yarn: Red - LB Homespun, Green- Joann's Angel Hair.

I'll be mailing my scarves out tommorrow.:manyheart I made 3.

I wish I could of made more than 3 this year. Time was against me! :yarn

Better luck next year!

th_IMG_1557.jpg

(clickable)

Here are the 3 scarves that I was able to finish. I hope to do more next year The horizontal stripe scarf is all Caron SS, the brown/tan/red is Red Heart, the black/red/grey is Softee Chunky; all are my own design.

Just waiting on DH to get me a box from work.

AndiM & others: I'm trying to crochet at least one scarf a month. That way I'll have at least 12 to send for the 2008 Red Scarf project.

Great idea! :c9

Since I was pressed for time and frankly am not crafty enough to design my own, I used these tags here: http://home.comcast.net/~crazycatladymel/red_scarf_all.pdf

I did write a personal note on the back of each one. Patty

Those are great tags! Thanks for sharing!:clap

I just got back from vacation, so I need to box up all the ones I made and get them out of here! I need to make some tags. Maybe that's what I will do this afternoon. :D

I only got one scarf done, but it was mailed out (with just a handwritten note, no card/tag) on Monday.

I have a picture, but haven't uploaded it yet from the camera.

Hi Sue,

I participated in this project last year. This past Dec. I got a windfall of yarn from a sweet lady in California so I sent 5 scarves off this past week. These kids need to be encouraged; they are our future.:)

I want to send 10 scarves next year! I'm so glad to see a few groups are promoting this special project.

Regards,

OneStitchMillie

Here's some of the ones I made.

th_croppedMVC-005F.jpg

One on the far left is RedHeart Strata and Bernat Softee Chunkee, pattern is something I made up from a picture I had in my head. This one is fringed, the rest are plain.

In the Middle is a Bernat self striping yarn, can't remember the name of it.. and the pattern is from the label.

Far Right is some Bernat Softee Chunkee.

th_croppedMVC-006F.jpg

The purple scarf is Bernat Softee Chunkee in a sideways shell pattern.. worked long ways.

The last one is RedHeart Strata.. don't remember what the pattern or stitches used were.

The last two are some vintage yarns of which I only had 1 skein each.

th_croppedMVC-007F.jpg

The pale one is much prettier in person.. muted tones throughout. I used Tunisian Simple Stitch to make both of these because I had heard that Tunisian uses less yarn than regular crochet.

I have some others, but the ends on them haven't been woven in yet (bad Lisa) so most likely they won't make it into the mail. :(

I -just- got my 15 in the mail last night on my way home from work! :D

(I tried to go before work, but surprise construction and related traffic forced me to bail so I wouldn't be late. Ugh)

But they're off! :D

This is the last of the "Red Scarves for Orphans" for this year. I had set a goal of 20.. and made it with 1 over (counting the 7 previously posted). I somehow missed getting a picture of the one extra.. silly me. :)

all pictures clickable.

th_MVC-003F.jpg

th_MVC-002F.jpg

th_MVC-001F.jpg

Beautiful scarves, Lisa! I'm so glad to see that you used other colors than red. I made a few non-red and felt funny, but I figured there would probably be some kids who'd love a crazy colored or maybe more manly colored scarf. The black and white self striping came out great--like cow spots! They're my favorite, although it was hard to chose just one favorite from your terrific bunch o' scarves. I haven't started on next year yet, but I have a big red pounder set aside just for Red Scarves. patty

Archived