Red Scarf Project 2007

Suebee42

I got an e-mail from the organizers today, announcing the 2007 drive... anyone else planning on participating? I already have about 8 done and in a bag, waiting to ship... LOL!

Here's the content of the .doc file they sent me, for those who don't know about this little project...

---

Orphan Foundation of America’s

Red Scarf Project – Guidelines, 2007

Love to knit, crochet or know someone who does?

Send warmth and encouragement to America’s college-bound foster youth. OFA needs thousands of handmade scarves to put in our Valentine Care Packages to these parentless youth attending college on their own. Your handiwork will truly be the personal touch in these packages and bring students the encouragement they need to move forward and graduate to a brighter future. For over 25 years, OFA has provided funding and family-like support to foster youth in transition. http://www.orphan.org

Scarf guidelines:

Size: approximately 60†long and 5†to 8†wide. Scarves should be long enough to be wrapped around the neck with tails long enough to be tied in the front.?

Style: Think unisex collegiate. Fringe optional. Should drape, tie easily and be soft. ?

Color: Red! This could mean burgundy, cherry, russet, red stripes with other colors, multicolor hues including red. Other unisex colors, including black, navy, gray, teal, olive or gold, are also welcome.?

Finished & tagged: Yarn ends securely sewn in. For the personal touch, attach a tag saying “Handmade for You†with your first name, city, and group affiliation, if any. Donors have also included washing instructions, messages of encouragement, and gift cards/burger bucks/book of stamps.

Thank you! Your scarf may be the first handmade gift a young man or woman has ever received. Your efforts will truly be appreciated!

Mail to (January Only):

Orphan Foundation of America

Red Scarf Project

21351 Gentry Drive, Unit 130

Sterling, VA 20166

Scarves are accepted throughout the month of January ONLY due to limited/temporary storage capacity.

----

Note: I am in no way affiliated, I just participated last year, and thought I would bring the project to everyone's attention again since I got the informational e-mail today. :D

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I participated last year with some nice skeins of Bernat Denim Style - made some very nice, cuddly, crocheted scarves, - but I need advice for some yarn I have brand new for this year.

Has anyone used Lion Brand Color Waves? I have the reddish color on hand to make a scarf and hat for this project and was wondering if it is soft, cuddly and warm ( will be knitting it this time acc. to the free pattern ).

You know, I have worked with it, but have not worn anything made with it to figure out how it feels... LOL!

I have really sensitive skin, so I find it mildly itchy, but that's me. It's sort of in the realm of the Jo-Ann Sensations Rainbow Boucle, if you've ever worked with that... I think it's a little sturdier than that, though. :D

I have no idea if that helps... LOL!

I'll be able to make up a lot of "guy" scarves this year... two people foisted their stashes on me, and I got some clearance deals, so I have a lot of different browns, some nice navy blues and a nice warm grey Wintuk... in addition to the sea of red!

Thank you SueBee,

I think I'll skip the ColorWaves and go back to my Denim Style. It was very easy to crochet with so I think I'll stick with what I know.

:wcold

Suebee,

I started on a red scarf yesterday for this project! It's knitted and 7"s wide and 9"s long so far, in bright red, and will be trimmed and given crocheted fringe with Red Heart Mexicana yarn when it's done! :wgrin

Thanks for letting us know about this project! :yes

I think this is a great idea and am going to get started right away..

count me in on the CAL...can someone send me the pattern they have posted for this i cant get into the site and dont have a good pattern that is for male or female..thanks

beth

This is a great cause! I'm in college now and I have some friends that are having their education paid for by the OFA and they are always delighted by the care packages they receive that include items like the red scarfs that you guys have made/are going to make. Count me in!

As for a pattern, I don't really use one... I just do half double crochet in the back loops, and crochet the "long" way up and down the scarf... it's nice and soft, and has a "ribbed" look that works for girls or guys, depending on the color. :)

Archived