Crochet & Camping???

So I went Camping this past weekend. I didn't bring my crochet because I couldn't figure out how to crochet without getting my yarn dirty. I bet there are a few of you out there who know the trick to that!

I'm so glad I didn't bring it too...it POURED for hours saturday night...EVERYTHING got soaked.

Such is life...

There are a couple of things you can do. I usually keep the socks I'm knitting in a ziplock bag. That way everything is together. When I'm done working on it, I just need to pop it in the bag with the needles and everything else.

I've also done that with smaller crochet projects, especially thread.

There is also a thing called a "yarntainer". It advertises that it's for knitters, but it works just as well for crocheting also.

And I can tell you from experience how well both work. I went to a baseball game a couple of weeks ago for "Stich 'n Pitch". First: Loads of fun. Second: The floor by the seats is dirty grimy. I kept my work in either the baggie or the yarntainer. And as often as I dropped both of the containers, I'm glad I did. Worked great.

I've taken my stuff camping - usually end up doing more crocheting in the CAR on the way than at the camp. I too use a ziplock bag - and I LOVE THE NEW ONES that are 2.5 Gallons - they can not only hold yarn and hooks, but the pattern as well. Back to camping, I don't find it easy to crochet at the campsite as it's usually to humid. The yarn starts sticking some and not gliding thru my fingers as normal.

Plastic bags and laminated patterns work out the best. I have taken my projects (small) and have just loved crocheting by the fire. If it is too humid, bring a small container of baby powder. Place a little powder in your hand and away you go. Or sit by the pool and crochet. Or by the beach. Or just about anywhere. Hats, socks, and other small projects work so well for travel.

Just enjoy camping and crochet!

Linda:manyheart

I remember when i was little, my gran had a version of a yarntainer. It looked like an old beehive, it had a lid and hole for the yarn to go through, it was so cool, ive been looking for something similar for a while now :) I need something to stop my yarn rolling away

I took along small projects while camping. Usually wash clothes. I did most of the crocheting in the car, like tiggerhale. I kept my ball of yarn on the picnic table. It wasn't very big, so it was easy to keep on the table while I crocheted.

I spoke with a woman how takes knitted sock projects on hiking trips. I should have asked how she did that.

Those yarntrainers look great. I have seen them at Michael's. I'll have to get one when I get a 40% off coupon. :)

I took my crochet along the last time I camped. Unfortunately, I was too busy to get to it! It's a nice idea, in theory.

I have a lovely vision of stringing a hammock between two trees, getting in it and crocheting. Yeah, right, like that would ever happen! First of all, I'd have to get a hammock! Then I'd have to fight everyone else off to get in it. Finally, I don't think a hammock promotes the correct posture for crocheting. I won't even talk about the mosquitos. But I can dream, can't I?

I did a massive doily this summer in Yosemite. We stay at a campground where we have tent/cabins. I had to drive up on my own to meet my family- so I actually filled the back seat of my car with yarn and patterns in case I wanted something new to make. I ended up spending the entire time finishing the doily from hell, but didnt get it dirty at all. Maybe because of the cement floor on the cabin, I dunno. But in the mornings I would drink coffee and crochet outside by the dead campfire, and still it didnt get dirty. (I kept the thread on the chair next to me as I worked)

I work on grannies, usually dark yarn because they're easier to make in natural sunlight. I never take a new pattern because while on vacation I'm simply too lazy or too busy. I have found a large coffee tin work well as a yarn container. Punch or cut a hole in the plastic lid, thread yarn through, place yarn in tin, replace lid. Wash tin with really hot water and soap because coffee is oily and you want any residue to be gone. I decorated the outside of my tin ( tins ) . You can also punch holes on the sides of the tin and put in a rope handle; I used an extra long shoe lace, knotted on the inside. Guard well because I have found mine dumped out and being used for sand pails!!!!

i made my own homemade version of a yarn trainer...i went to the dollar store and got one of those plastic canister that you'd put like flour or whatnot in, and poked a hole on top...my mom suggested using an old baby wipes thingy.

Claire ~ you should get one of those "upright" hammocks sorta like this : http://www.yardenvy.com/productdetail.asp?productid=16034&CategoryID=177&CatalogID=1&source=Shopzilla

but i don't think i can help with fighting off the others, or the mosquitos, lol, sorry

craftconnie1 ~ i was also going to suggest granny squares. they are small enough that you can make many, but don't have to worry about your work dragging on the ground. and also they are mostly easy enough that you don't have to be stressed out about counting and reading patterns when you should be relaxin'!

Lee Ann

Large ziploc bags work for me. I just keep my yarn and the WIP in the same bag. I leave the ball or skein in the bag when I'm working and don't have any problems with it.

My biggest problem with crocheting when camping is that the hooks are way too cold when I do it at night. Whatever I'm working on ends up being skewed all funky because the colder my hands get, the tighter I tend to hold the yarn. My friend bought me a supply of plastic hooks. I haven't tried them yet.

The absolute best thing I have learned on the Net is how to wind a centre pull skein around a TP tube. I have even strengthened a TP tube to use for this.

I mention this here because these pull skeins do not roll around or wander. They have a flat bottom (mine do) and they stay put. I could see one in the large ziploc staying neat and tidy for the whole camping event - assuming that someone would want to go camping of course...:no:eek:lol

I do this with quite large bits of yarn. I find the time to be well spent because I avoid all the tangles that are so annoying.

For a super easy/cheap yarn keeper that is waterproof I just get jugs/pitchers from the dollar store, string the yarn thru the pour spout... works like a charm. I crochet while camping all the time and I have a heavy duty canvas military laundry bag that I keep my stash and a large note book with copies of my patterns works excellent. I keep the big stash in the vehicle and just pull out whatever I dedide to work on.

For a recycled version of the yarntainer, use the container from the large size Clorox wipes. It is round, and even has a guide to put the yarn through.

Wash it out carefully, dry it and then put a skein of yarn in it. It works great.

As a preschool teacher, we use a LOT of Clorox wipes to keep the classroom clean, and I bring home the empty containers to keep yarn in.

So it's a freebie that works well for me.

Linda:manyheart

my greatgrandmother (the brilliant woman that first introduced me to this addiction) used to use two liter soda bottles. She'd cut them in half and duct tape the rough edges then insert her yarns and pull the peice you work with through the top and then tape it back up. When you're not working you can just put the lid on and it holds your yarn out of the "mouth" of the soda bottle.. they're great in general (and much cheaper than what you will find in the stores...and work well for camping in the woods and on the beach.

A word of caution about crocheting around the campfire... I don't do this anymore because the sparks and cinders can melt or ignite synthetic yarns. Our new bag chairs only look nice a few days before they are completely "holey" from flying sparks. The ashes also can ruin a pretty light crocheted fabric. I usually keep my yarn in a ziplock and stay away from the fire! :lol

I agree, Roli. My daughter ruined her coat at a campfire last spring, so I told her that she needs to keep that coat just for campfires (which she and her friends have a lot).

Archived