Embroidery Floss as "thread"?

OK, I know I've seen it posted here SOMEWHERE, but I can't find it on a search. I have a TON of embroidery floss, and I would like to use it as thread for bookmarks that I'm making. If I were to use 1,2,3,4,5 or 6 strands of this floss, what size cotton thread (10,20,30, etc) would each of those be equivalent to? For example, 1 strand would be 30 cotton, 2 strands would be 20 cotton, etc. I really need an experienced thread person to help me out! Thanks so much!

I LOVE using embroidery floss as thread. In fact, I made some pretty flowers with it the other day.

I'd say 6 strands is bigger than #10 bedspread weight, but not by too much. I haven't tried crocheting with only a few strands of floss.

I don't know the answer, however I am glad you asked- I have tons of floss and wasn't sure what to do with it. Now I have an idea. :)

...I'd say 6 strands is bigger than #10 bedspread weight, but not by too much. I haven't tried crocheting with only a few strands of floss.

I'd agree. Besides, if you're making bookmarks, the exact size wouldn't matter much.

I've used it mainly for flowers; I made a couple of change purses with it but the strands broke down to too much use. It works well for necklace cords as well and friendship bracelets, those I crochet as well , leave a long end for tying, about six inches, crochet the length of bracelet desired with several rows of slip stitch ending with opposite end and leaving six inches. I know they should be braided but crocheting them is so much quicker.

<snip> I know they should be braided but crocheting them is so much quicker.

who saids they HAVE to be braided?? I've done some of the braided/knotted 1's..... the knotted are just variations of macrame and somewhere on this site is several comparisons of macrame being a precursor to crochet. Would love to see some of the bracelets you've made. :)

Sandy

I have used embroidery floss in conjunction with size 10 thread on a couple pieces. To make the embroidery floss the same size as the size 10 thread I had to remove 2 strands of the thread. So I ended up working with 4 strands of embroidery floss. I have not tried figuring out for the smaller sizes as it's not my favorite thread to use.

I used embroidery floss to make my son a case for his game boy and it came out great...I can't remmeber if I used the whole thing or if I used a few strands. I can take a pic and post it if anybody's interested.

I just received Blue Ribbon Crochet from House of White Birches. Along with this book they also sent a bonus book titled Crochet Tips from the Experts. It says:

6 strands= size 5

4 strands= size 10

2 strands= size 20

1 strand= size 30 or 40

Hope this helps :bounce

Archived