Brugge Lace patterns?

sammimag

Samantha you have me trying the stuff on the beadsky link :D it works up quickly!! i couldnt try bobbin lace since i would never be able to buy bobbins, but i too would like to see more patterns on this crocheted bruges lace. any ideas how you do the chains as the ribbon bends? where it all links up? i need to play around with it. thanks for introducing me to yet another challenge :yay

I made up this list from my pattern collection for Samantha, and I thought I'd share it with the rest of you who are interested in crocheted Bruges lace.

The most noted designer that I am aware of who uses Bruges lace is Yoko Suzuki. My gallery has some of her designs using Bruges lace.

Books by Yoko Suzuki or published by Ondori

Crochet Lace Through Pictures has a section on the Bruges lace with excellent how-to photographs. There are a few Bruges lace patterns in the book, and the rest are a combination of Irish crochet and other wonderful designs. This is a must-have and worth the price you'll pay. To find a copy, look on www.bookfinder.com

Pretty Lace contains about two patterns and more Irish crochet.

White Crochet Lace by Ondori has one Bruges lace pattern.

Elegant Crochet Laces by Ondori/Yoko Suzuki has some Bruges lace patterns. It’s full of exquisite designs.

Back issues of Magic Crochet and Decorative Crochet

Magic Crochet

• Feb. 2004/#148
  • Sep 2004/#101—It contains a Bruges/Irish lace pillow pattern
  • Dec 1998 #117—has one pattern by Yoko Suzuki in Bruges lace
  • April 1996 #101—has a Bruges lace pattern by Sadayo Yoshida
  • Oct 2004 #152-contains the Fortune Teller doily as seen in my gallery. This one is Bruges lace-esque. Very challenging to assemble.
  • February 2002 #136—contains the Zither pattern as seen in my gallery. It looks like two hearts. Quick and easy to crochet
  • October 2003 #146 contains the Viennese Waltz table runner as seen in my gallery. This one is not that difficult to make, just time intensive.

Decorative Crochet

• March 1998 #2 contains a Yoko Suzuki design in Bruges lace—it’s outstanding!

My collection of back issues of Magic and Decorative Crochet is limited, so there could be more out there to find.

Take care,

Lori

any ideas how you do the chains as the ribbon bends? where it all links up? i need to play around with it. thanks for introducing me to yet another challenge :yay

Don't you just love this place you learn something new every day. I never thought I would be a thready but here I am :)

I have the book Crocheting School - A Complete Course and it has some basic info on Bruges Lace although they call it Belgian Lace. Maybe your library has it?

I want to be able to do it too because I have this table cloth idea in my head:)

Check out this bruges lace spiral here:

http://www-us.flickr.com/photos/10167940@N00/114047233/

:clap

I scored! I posted to freecycle and got a bunch of Magic Crochet issues.

I didn't get any of the magazine issues that Loris listed but I found more.

Magic Crochet issues:

Oct 1989 #62 - Making Waves by Fujiko Takagi - oval doily

Aug 1990 - #67 Fujiko Takagi design - a table cloth , the bruges lace weaves around floral motifs , very nice

June 1989 - #60 - Bruges Lace Centerpeice by Fujiko Takagi

Feb 1989- #58 - another Bruges Lace Centerpiece by Fujiko Takagi

April 1989 - #59 - Bruges Clover Leaf by Yukiko Ohkubo - this design is only made with the bruges ribbon most of the other patterns have other elements as well

also in #59 - Bruges Lace Mat by Mayumi Sato - very simple use of the bruges lace ribbon

I didn't find any of Yoko Suzuki's Bruges Lace designs but there were several of her other designs which were fantastic! I as you might guess I am on cloud nine. :c9

after using the flickr link sammimag posted I was able to find these useful sites, though you will need to use something like http://www.freetranslation.com to translate the German to English (the majority of it translates just fine, there is the occasional word which doesn't)

http://www.haekelspass.de/Brugger_Hakelei/brugger_hakelei.html

http://www.haekelspass.de/Hakelanleitungen/Osterei/umhakeltes_ei_5_5_cm/Brugger_Ei/brugger_ei.html

http://faden-hobby.de/bruegger.html

http://www.creadoo.com/themen.php?bereich_id=12&rubrik_id=27&kategorie=9324 (for this site you will need to click "article read" at the bottom of each post to see the images they are refering to.

You can also use google and search for Brügger Häkelei with Google and use the [translate this page] button beside the results.

That said, I am still none the wiser as how to join the chains when turning!! Ah well, hopefully reading a few of these pages will clear this up. It's amazing how helpful knowing the traditional/international names of things when hunting. It certainly opened up a whole new world of tatting to me some weeks ago (tatting, occhi, frivolet)

Samantha you have me trying the stuff on the beadsky link :D it works up quickly!! i couldnt try bobbin lace since i would never be able to buy bobbins, but i too would like to see more patterns on this crocheted bruges lace. any ideas how you do the chains as the ribbon bends? where it all links up? i need to play around with it. thanks for introducing me to yet another challenge :yay

Shell,

If you are still stuck, perhaps I may shed some light. To make a bend or turn, what you do is single crochet into the previous loops. I'll try to explain a little better.

To make a corner for a square you'll use three previous loops. If you are using a 5 chain turning chain, chain 2, then stick your hook through the three previous loops to the one you've half made. Single crochet, then chain 2. Turn and continue to work the lace. I've a diagram that shows this.

corner.gif

The three loop connection seems to make a corner for a square. Other amounts make different angles. You can also connect two loops together in a series with a gap in between to make subtle bends.

Hope this helps!

~ Lori

thanks so much Lori! that was what I thought was happening (well... something like that) I just wasn't quite sure how to pull it off. now I can play, yippee

yammi that is pretty! yeah I dont think it would be too hard to make any number of things using that as a base

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Thanks for sharing where to find more Bruges lace patterns. Your gallery was absolutely gorgeous. Thanks for sharing that too. :cheer

Beverly

Books by Yoko Suzuki or published by Ondori

Crochet Lace Through Pictures has a section on the Bruges lace with excellent how-to photographs. There are a few Bruges lace patterns in the book, and the rest are a combination of Irish crochet and other wonderful designs. This is a must-have and worth the price you'll pay. To find a copy, look on www.bookfinder.com

Pretty Lace contains about two patterns and more Irish crochet.

White Crochet Lace by Ondori has one Bruges lace pattern.

Elegant Crochet Laces by Ondori/Yoko Suzuki has some Bruges lace patterns. It’s full of exquisite designs.

Back issues of Magic Crochet and Decorative Crochet

Magic Crochet

• Feb. 2004/#148
  • Sep 2004/#101—It contains a Bruges/Irish lace pillow pattern
  • Dec 1998 #117—has one pattern by Yoko Suzuki in Bruges lace
  • April 1996 #101—has a Bruges lace pattern by Sadayo Yoshida
  • Oct 2004 #152-contains the Fortune Teller doily as seen in my gallery. This one is Bruges lace-esque. Very challenging to assemble.
  • February 2002 #136—contains the Zither pattern as seen in my gallery. It looks like two hearts. Quick and easy to crochet
  • October 2003 #146 contains the Viennese Waltz table runner as seen in my gallery. This one is not that difficult to make, just time intensive.

Decorative Crochet

• March 1998 #2 contains a Yoko Suzuki design in Bruges lace—it’s outstanding!

My collection of back issues of Magic and Decorative Crochet is limited, so there could be more out there to find.

Take care,

Lori

Thanks for these links. I traced them to the patterns and found this:

http://www.haekelspass.de/Hakelanleitungen/Kugel_10cm/umhakelte_CD/umhakelte_cd.html

It's an Irish rose surrounded by two simple rows of Bruges Lace. The pattern uses German style symbols.

http://members.aol.com/maluholder/coll03/crochet.gif has a chart identifying the symbols in both German and English.

Closeup photos show how the strips are joined. The photos would be better if lighter colored threads has been used but they are still useful.

Note that the Japanese books of patterns for this style may also call it Breughel lace. I guess the translator just used the first English word

that sounded right.

The Sept 2001 issue of Decorative Crochet has some fabulous Bruges Lace.

I posted this picture on another thread, but here it is again from that issue: (sorry my photos are crummy!) This is also a Yoko Suzuki pattern BTW

th_BrugesLace.jpg

Archived