What to pack?

I'm leaving for my vacation tomorrow morning, trying to finish up my last minute packing. How much yarn should I take and how many patterns???? :think I'll be gone a whole week, how can I possibly know what I'll feel like working on 4 or 5 days from now? What if I get there and don't have the right hooks? :eek

Well, you could do like I do when we go camping: Pack a laundry bag with about 20 skeins of all different types. I keep a 3-ring binder with copies of any patterns you MIGHT want to use while your gone and lastly, I bring my smaller WIP bag to take in the car for those lost minutes while riding in the car. I have a wide assortment of hooks (doubles) and a travel scissors in there as well.

You know how you feel when you get home from a vacation, "I have so much to do, clean house, buy grocries, do laundry ect..." ? Well bring some WIP's along on your trip that way when you get home and feel overwhelmed you can tell yourself "at least I got this out of the way" and you'll have room for more projects :lol

I have done this and really enjoyed coming home to one less thing to do.

Thanks Zeropixie, taking WIP's is a great suggestion. :cheer Yammy, I like your suggestions too, but I'm flying and can't fit that much yarn into my bag. :sigh I did photocopy a few patterns I want to try, and put a few skeins of yarn into a gallon ziploc baggie -- you'd be surprised how much you can fit into one of those when you squeeze all the air out of it. :devil Now I'm busily stuffing yarn into every unstuffed space in my suitcase. :devil My plastic hooks and a pair of kid's scissors are in my carryon, good hooks and another pair of scissors are in my packed bag. :sweat I think I'm ready.

Great suggestions! I would also Google a local yarn shop in the area where you will be vacationing so you can explore and add to your stash. Oh, and just in case you needed more yarn...:lol:

:think You are going on "HOLIDAY", does that not mean "LEAVE YOUR YARN AT HOME" (Sorry to shout)

If you are going to crochet for a week, you may as well just save the travel money, use it to buy more yarn and stay home.

:cheerI am speaking from experience.

Many years ago, I had a wool shop and I knitted and crocheted for customers.

I would not go anywhere without my BIG BIG BIG bags of yarn and all that goes with it. Then I would beaver away at my WORK, even in the car, while the rest of the family tried to enjoy the holiday.

I look back now and realise how selfish I was, putting my customers before my family.

:hook How about just taking a bag of scrap yarn, a hook and if you need it, a pattern for a Granny Square so at least you will not be craving what you do not have.

You may even get an afghan done which you could then donate to a good cause such as Hospice.

Have a :cheer GREAT HOLIDAY.:cheer

Colleen:hug

Now I am just the opposite of Colleen. I have to have yarn with me at all times. But I did like her suggestion of granny squares to whip up while on vacation. Just pack some scrap yarns, some hooks, and a basic pattern for the squares and off you go.

Or pack some hat patterns. Hats can be made in a few hours and you will feel like you accomplished a lot if you come home with 3-4 hats completed.

Pack things that you like to work on. If it is a baby afghan, hats, etc. bring that along.

We just came back from the Dells and I got about 6 rows done on a round ripple that I was working on. Vacations are for doing what you love. And not having to worry about work, housework, etc.

Have a great time!

Linda:manyheart

Archived