ARGH! I know better!

Ok, so hubby decided he wants me to please make him a hat. A hat with ear flaps and a brim. Ok, I can do that, I even have yarn on hand that he picked out himself, (Walnut wool-ease) and I found the Deer Stalker pattern. He said yep, that's what I want.

So, I looked at the pattern, size g hook, check, worsted weight yarn, check.

I start going to town on this hat for him. As I'm working on it, it seems a bit strange and I just can't imagine how it's going to come together and fit his rather large head. I keep working, I'm FOLLOWING the pattern right? I have the right size hook and yarn... should be no problem.

Well, you guessed it, I didn't check the gauge. This hat will maybe fit a child :( Guess you all know what I'll be doing tonight.

3161_frog.jpg

:(:hug Oh man - I hate it when that happens (and since I rarely check gauge -:hook I'm much to excited about the project to do that!) it happens to me a lot :blush

Well the good news is, I figured out how to get 'gauge'... I grabbed another complimentary yarn, so I'm using doubled worsted weight and a J hook and we got caught in a few traffic jams today between jobs so it's in progress and looking much better :D

Patterns LIE!!!!! They LIE I tell you!

Love the frog! I bet hubby will appreciate his hat all the more! If the gauge didn't work out right, I figure the pattern was off! It couldn't be me, could it?

Love the frog! I bet hubby will appreciate his hat all the more! If the gauge didn't work out right, I figure the pattern was off! It couldn't be me, could it?
Of course not. Us crocheters always have perfect stitches and tension.

Yeah, I'm one of those that subscribe to "gauge? what gauge? I don't need no stinking gauge!!!" I've also reached a high level of proficiency at frogging! In fact, my time is almost equally split between crocheting, frogging, and untangling the mess from having frogged. With the time I spend looking at patterns in books and on-line, looking at yarns and hanging out on crochetville, I get very little actual crocheting done...:think

Paulette,

Yep, I hear ya. I often don't check gauge but I usually do check what size yarn and hook they were using, which usually will get me pretty close. I don't crochet super tight or loose. I think the wool ease isn't a true worsted weight, maybe a DK weight. The hat is almost done and I like it better with the doubled yarn and his head is kinda big, so it's working out.

Archived