Five best books

Guest SamplerLady

Guest SamplerLady

mmouseplus.gifScene one: The local LYS is redecorating and developing a crochet corner. There are shelves for books, racks of hooks of all sizes and brands, leaflets and a couple nice easy chairs. The manager approaches you, asking you to compile a list of five books for the store to carry. These books should appeal to beginner as well as seasoned crocheters. They should inspire as well as instruct.

What five books would be on your list?

Scene two: You are sitting in one of the comfortable chairs crocheting with a wonderful new yarn. :D

"To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong."

Joseph Chilton Pierce

here are my top five picks..

1.. Crochet Stitch Bible (Betty Barnden)

2. How to Crochet(Pauline Turner) (is good for beginners as well as intermediate,, i got this and learned several new things)

3. Encyclopedia of Crochet (Donna Kooler)

4. Hip To Crochet( Judith L Swartz) ( not really one of my faves but seems to appeal to alot of people)

5. Hooked On Crochet (Candy Jensen)

Here's my five:

1. Donna Kooler's Encyclopedia of Crochet

2. The Crochet Stitch Bible ( this is a GREAT price on this, too, I paid $30 for mine! :faint )

3. Crochet School

4. 200 Crochet Blocks

and ... I honestly can't decide what the 5th should be - these are my 4 most important, for pretty much any level, except #3 which is geared to beginners but still a great reference. The rest that I had in mind don't stand out nearly as much, but here are a few:

Crocheter's Companion

Family Circle: 50 Projects

Candi Jenson's Books - She has several for babies plus others and they are all nice. click here or here to see a couple.

- Plus so many more, I'm sure others will suggest, I've already gone over board, but you hit on my two favorite things - crochet and books! :lol

Also, I'd LOVE it if one of my LYS's, or ANYWHERE, for that matter, carried subcriptions to crochet magazines that I could buy. I can't find Crochet! or Crochet Fantasy or any of the others near me at all...

I vote for -

1. How to Crochet by Pauline Turner

2. The Crochet Stitch Bible (both this and the 200 Crochet Blocks really encourage creativity, which I find important. :) )

3. 200 Crochet Blocks

4. Donna Kooler's Encyclopedia of Crochet

5. either Hip to Crochet or Hooked on Crochet by Candy Jensen.

1. Donna Kooler's Encyclopedia of Crochet. A must have.

2. The Crocheter's Companion. A must have.

3. Hooked On Crochet. Beautiful book with appealing projects.

4. Vogue Knitting Crocheted Scarves on the Go. Everybody loves to make scarves, beginners and experienced crocheters. The scarves in this book range from fun to sophisticated. (And it's a cute, small book to boot.)

5. Don't have a 5th recommendation yet. Let me think about it.

We should add the 63 Square book... as a beginner I found it a very valuable companion... and it wasn't as pricey as the other books. (something for everyone) :ducky

I couldn't live without MODULAR CROCHET by Judith Copeland, although this book is out of print, it gives the most simple directions on how to create pullover sweaters, without having to read a complicated pattern. If you can get your hands on this book, don't let it go, I see one on half.com for $170.00! I got mine for about $35.

I also like Practical Modern Crochet by Vibeke Lind, very cool patterns in this book.

my blog

Guest SamplerLady

mmouseplus.gifThanks to all that shared your books with me. I'm giving it to the powers that be today to see if we can start carrying some of them! :D

"To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong."

Joseph Chilton Pierce

I love the books that yarnjunkie listed. I'll have to see if the library has any. I also agree with most of the ones above, but I just loooove Erika Knight and would want to see Simple Crochet on display as well. It helps inspire to think outside the box, esp. when it comes to working with non traditional fibers.

:read Ok, I have 2 new additions to my collection now so I'll put in my :twocents ...

200 Crochet Blocks The layout is great, pictures are clear as well as the instructions, excellent index with pictures so it's easy to find a favorite block.

Crocheted Socks I haven't tried any of the patterns yet, but I like the way it's laid out and the information is clear and it's got me thinking that I could actually make a sock!

The Needleworker's Constant Companion I am in love with this book and have been for several years...so much so that I've contemplated permantly "borrowing" it from the library, but I'm a good girl so don't worry! :angel

Archived