January Crochet! Magazine

Julie

Am I the one who finally got it after everyone else? I thought it would never get here. I love the two thread doilies in it, especially the table runner. Beautiful!! :)h

• 2 months later...

I started working on the "Soft Winter Set" (pg 16) this weekend, and ran into some problems that I think may be errors in the pattern as written. One I am certain of after doing a search online, but I'm not as sure about the rest.

I started with the mitten pattern, crocheted up the cuff no problem, slip-stitched it together (I'm making the large version) and began the row of sc along the edge. I thought it a bit strange to have 32 rows for the cuff and have to "evenly space" 42 sc around that edge but no matter, I did as instructed, and everything seemed fine until I got to the section where the thumb is, Rnd 9, where I'm told to place a marker on the previous row and then to "sk 9 sts for thumb, [sc in next st, ch 1, sk next st] around to last st. I couldn't figure out how I was supposed to leapfrog across those 9 stitches with my yarn... Obviously something had to be missing there, and from browsing other mitten patterns online, I guessed it was a chain across the opening. But now my count is totally screwed up, and after looking at those other mitten patterns, I'm wondering (again) about that 42 sc evenly spaced around a 32 row cuff.

It could be my imagination is playing tricks with me now, but the hand part of my mitten seems like it's far larger than it should be for a child's mitten. This is the first mitten I've ever attempted, so I'm not real sure of myself here. I checked the magazine's website to see if any corrections had been posted for the pattern, but there were none. I really liked the way the pattern looked, but I've kind of lost confidence in it now. Can anyone help? I don't want to go any farther with this project, especially if frogging is in it's future. I've had to do enough of that lately with most all of my projects, it seems, for various reasons.

TIA!

goldi

Archived