how did annies attic run before the net was popular?

frogsrock

i know that they have a catalog and thats probably how they did it but how'd they get the catalog to people? (like how'd you sign up to get it)

was it a big company in the early/mid 90's?

im trying to get the cathedral window afghan pattern and it might help me figure out who i can ask, and possibly jog a persons memory about the pattern (i know a lot of crocheters and i plan to put my great grandmom on the case ;) a lot of the women at her church crochet)

Annie's had the catalog, and the magazines that they publish. I can remember that at one time they had tours, and a bed and breakfast in Big Sandy, Tx. It started small I believe, and then just went crazy. Alot of the patterns were created by the founder. A few years ago they went in with Needle Craft. There is a 1-800 numer that you can call to get the catalog, but I haven't received one in the mail in a long time. The founder was Annie Potter.

i know that they have a catalog and thats probably how they did it but how'd they get the catalog to people? (like how'd you sign up to get it)

was it a big company in the early/mid 90's?

im trying to get the cathedral window afghan pattern and it might help me figure out who i can ask, and possibly jog a persons memory about the pattern (i know a lot of crocheters and i plan to put my great grandmom on the case ;) a lot of the women at her church crochet)

There's a long thread (most recently much of it was archived because it was getting too big) just about the cathedral rose window afghan. Quite a few people have contacted Annie's Attic about reprinting this pattern. Depending on who you ask, you'll get a variety of answers. But the general consensus is that it "will" be republished in 2007.

In the meantime, if you can't wait, the booklet comes up for auction on eBay. Be prepared to spend upwards of $35-$50 though.:(

There's a long thread (most recently much of it was archived because it was getting too big) just about the cathedral rose window afghan. Quite a few people have contacted Annie's Attic about reprinting this pattern. Depending on who you ask, you'll get a variety of answers. But the general consensus is that it "will" be republished in 2007.

In the meantime, if you can't wait, the booklet comes up for auction on eBay. Be prepared to spend upwards of $35-$50 though.:(

thanks but i know about the thread, ive read all of it and posted in it

i was one who wrote to the company, i got a thank you for the feedback but thats it...

since we're not sure if they're going to do a re-print i might as well try to get it from people i know

theres no way id pay those insane ebay prices

all i know is they are the slowest shippers on the planet

They have gotten a lot better through the years. It would sometimes take about 3 weeks to get your order and now it is less than a week. I didn't order for a long time because it would be so long. But I gave them some more orders and now they get here pretty fast.

One time, something got lost in the mail, and they made me wait 6 weeks before they would issue a new item. Which, when you are patiently waiting for your stuff, can be very frustrating. But that was quite a few years ago. I don't know what their policies are right now.

I do love all their products and I have to really watch how much I spend (teacher) so I have to really budget for their merchandise. But I am very happy with the company.

Linda:manyheart

B&B in Big Sandy

http://www.innsite.com/inns/A031468.html

Annie Potter Presents:

http://www.anniepotter.com/estore/

more of her patterns available at Jenny Gaskins site:

http://www.countryyarns.com/wesell.htm

I live so close to Big Sandy.. I should take a road trip up there one day...

They have gotten a lot better through the years. It would sometimes take about 3 weeks to get your order and now it is less than a week. I didn't order for a long time because it would be so long. But I gave them some more orders and now they get here pretty fast.

One time, something got lost in the mail, and they made me wait 6 weeks before they would issue a new item. Which, when you are patiently waiting for your stuff, can be very frustrating. But that was quite a few years ago. I don't know what their policies are right now.

I do love all their products and I have to really watch how much I spend (teacher) so I have to really budget for their merchandise. But I am very happy with the company.

Linda:manyheart

Well, they have improved somewhat. It use to take 21 days to get anything I ordered, but right now it is taken from 7 to 18 days. Yes I guess you could call that an improvement.

That is the most frustrating thing about them. They make you wait 6 weeks if something is lost and then it takes them 2 days to get it to you. Go figure.

The big problem is that they have some great stuff and even though I swear that I will not buy from them again, I go back. I guess I am a glutten for punishment.

I have foutn this place that is just and good and they ship internationally.

Maggie's Crochet

• 3 years later...

I can answer your original question about how Annie got started. She started with quilting patterns. She took out a small ad in the back of a sewing mag. She was flooded with responses. She tried again with the same results, she built up a mailing list from the responses and started sending out news releases on new patterns as she made them. Then one day she included a crochet pattern for baby booties. Her first love was crochet. Once again she got immediate response. After a few years, she was able to start producing a mail order catalog of her patterns. The company grew from there.

One person commented that she merged with The Needlecraft Shop, she didn't. After her company was taken over by House of White Birches, she started Annie Potter Presents. The Needlecraft Shop catalog marketing manager jumped on the chance to carry those patterns in his catalog. I know cause I was the manager. I was already friends with Annie at that point and couldn't wait to carry her new stuff.

House of white Birches has since taken over The Needlecraft Shop. And rolled several other catalogs all into one. It's kinda sad, their catalogs are heavy in clothing now. Not nearly as many cute ones as we used to have.

I hope this will answer the question on how she got started.

Thanks,

SteveCrowell

Archived