Diagonal Box Stitch Baby Blanket

Deb

Hi all. It's been awhile since I've posted any pictures. (I've been knitting a lot :eek and there isn't exactly a category for THAT on this crochet board :hook .)

I've just finished a blanket for a baby boy, due in September. I used Caron's Simply Soft in three shades of blue. This is the first time I have used the diagonal box stitch pattern, found here:

http://tutorials.crochetcabana.com/patterns/darbys-diag-boxst-petit.pdf

It's super easy, and really a GREAT pattern if you are tired of the same old same old. :yes (which I was!)

so.. without further ado... my blanket:

diagonal2.jpg

A close up of the stitches can be seen here:

http://www.definitelydeb.com/diagonalCU.jpg

Thanks for letting me share!

(edited to make picture smaller - oops!)

That's beautiful! You did a wonderful job! I just started a blanket using this stitch, but I don't like how stiff it feels, so I'm going to wait until I can get some softer yarn to try it again.

I love the diagonal box stitch! It's a challenge to get the hang of it, but once you do, it goes right along. Your blanket looks great, although I think your blues went grey in the digital camera. Well done! :clap

Thanks ladies.

Twinnish - the blues are actually kind of grayish.. a country blue. It's NOT your traditional baby boy blanket color... but I don't usually do traditional. Unless it's a girl... then it's PINK all the way.

Wow that looks fabulous!

I've tried three different diagonal afghans, and all three of them have turned out to have two corners that are bigger (not right angles) than the other two. Do you normally have that problem, or was this design different? I still can't figure out what I do wrong to make mine, and your blanket looks GORGEOUS. I'd love to try one, it's so inpiring! But I'm afraid...very, very afraid!

Thanks everyone for your kind comments.

Keiyla... you simply MUST try this pattern. When the gals were talking about it 'round the 'Ville a year or so ago, I'll admit I poo-pooed it. But when I was looking for a pattern for a baby 'ghan, this came to mind. It is a bit of a challenge.. but not so much as to make you want to pull your hair out.

The tutorial gives GREAT step by step directions. :hook

Ithinkican: The link did not work for me either. Just go to crochetcabana.com and scroll down. on the left there are several sections for tutorials. The fourth one down, I think, says speciality stitches. The diagonal box stitch is in there.

Lovely! I think it would look grand in just about any color. I am thinking about using this pattern with graduating bands of color. Purples are on my mind today - so maybe it will be purple ~:yay~

Thanks for sharing your work with us!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived