Tunisian crochet

I have just learned tunisian crochet and I really enjoy it. It makes such a neat looking pattern. So far, only a dishcloth, but I am hoping to try a more challenging pattern. In some ways, I have a better time with it than with regular crochet stitches. It took me a long time, but I studied the tutorials carefully and practiced. It is a little confusing at first. Scarves in this are especially pretty. I am still on the simple stitch, but there are tons of variations. If you have not tried learning, give it a try to see if you also like it! I am going to try and learn a few different methods this year, just for fun and a challenge. Would like to try tatting, now that really is an art. Its amazing how crochet can be both fun and create some nice things into the bargain.:jumpyay

In the seventies, I learned how to do Tunisian from my bf's mom. I just love it. It can make some really neat projects. I have made pillows, baby afghans, purses, etc. It is just so easy.

Annie's Attic has many products for Tunisian. Do a search on their website and you will find hooks, books, and other great products.

I am glad you tried it. Keep us posted on how you do. It is a great thing to learn.

Linda:manyheart

:) I've done some Tunisian Crochet. It's crocheting with a finished look of knitting. Very cool stuff... and extremely easy to teach to young girls. My 11 y/o niece made a small coin purse for herself in one afternoon.

It's great to keep learning new things! :yes

I haven't finished a project, but I've played around with it and love it. Had some problems trying to make something too big, but I'm going to try again soon. Before my hooks arrived, I practices using a regular hook and crochet thread. It looked beautiful!!!

I absolutely love Tunisian. I just made a basic cap using the simple stitch, and have made dishcloths using TSS, T knit and purl stitches. Of course I had to break down and buy the 101 Tunisian Stitches book. There is also a Yahoo group where Angela 'ARNie' Grabowski and Kim Guzman (Tunisian crochet gurus who wrote the books on it) read every post and personally respond. I want to do an afghan with it sometime and maybe a sweater.

There's a book called "101 Easy Tunisian Stitches" By Annie's Attic that is just great. So many variations on the basic stitch and how to use two or more colors of yarn.

It's a great book.

Linda:manyheart

I have done afghan stitch but I find it very boring to just keep doing the same thing over and over - I have a short attention span and need something different. I made a baby's blanket years ago and cross-stitched the pattern on - it looked great and was VERY heavy but it was such a chore to just keep doing it and doing it.

I agree that it is beautiful but it's a challenge for the crochet stitch addicted among us.

Tunisian is very high on my list of stuff to learn, just after mastering cables (which I'm in the process of doing right now). I love the look of it, and how close it seems to look to knitting. It's encouraging to hear so many of you finding it easy and loving it! :hook

I have been working on that a little bit myself. I would really like to do a whole project in Tunisian, but have promised some bags to some people who helped me out this summer, so it's going to have to wait a while longer.

I have a hard time keeping my margins straight with TC' date=' any suggestions?[/quote']

Is it the left or the right side you have trouble with?

The first time I swatched a piece of tunisian crochet, I found the right side got too loose. So now I just make sure to pull it very tight and also do the next couple of stitches a bit tighter than normal. It seems to be working for me. I guess I'll have to measure to be sure, but it looks like it's ok.

Archived