Pillows! Salvaging 35 year old granny squares.

PaulaMI

WOW! :eek That is an astounding labor of love:bheart! What a wonderful way to help preserve these lovely granny squares! I can just picture you "Charlie's Angels" style trying to figure out which line to cut!:lol You did an extraordinary job:tup and should be very proud!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought of you yesterday when I was at an estate sale in north Denver. There were several crocheted granny afghans for sale but they looked as though they had been hit by a Mack truck. :( I looked at them, wondering if they could be restored. But I opted not to buy them. Besides, I'd have no place to store them since yarn has taken over the house and I don't think I even have five feet of storage space anywhere!

Thanks everyone! :hug It was quite the project. I didn't know if my crochet skills were up to it at first. I've never really worked with any motifs before, just a couple scarfs I made for people at christmas.

I was happy to box them up and ship them to California yesterday. I can't wait to hear what she thinks. Making those pillows has given me a lot of other ideas. I plan on making myself some throw pillows to match the colors in my living room. :) My list of projects keeps growing!:P

My other sister informed me yesterday that my cousin has a whole box of squares my Gram made... I told her to wait a couple months before dropping them off, I need a break!:lol

Oh my, didn't that project come out GREAT!!! I think your pillows look wonderful. I'm also one who likes to salvage handiwork so I completely understand your motivation here. Your sister will love them!:)

What a wonderful gift to be restored and passed down. I think someone already said, but, I bet your Grandma would be very proud you took so much time to restore her work. You should have kept a couple of the pillows for yourself! Maybe with the next batch of squares, you could.

:hook

Tina

What a wonderful labour of love, your story has really moved me:manyheart

I recently found a shawl i crocheted in the 70's and have been wearing it again, my daughter has said mum please don't throw that out when you are bored with it i would love to keep it. She still castigates me for not keeping clothes from that era as a lot of them are back in fashion:eek

My Abuelita (grandma) passed away a few years ago, I inherited all her crochet yarn and half finished projects (a trait I inherited). I was not sure what I could do with a bag of loose squares she had. this is such a fantastic idea! thanks for sharing, this will make some great gifts this holiday season for my sisters that don't have anything handmade from her. Thank you so much for the idea!

What a wonderful thing to do! They are beautiful.

I love to look at the projects that my grandmom made. It makes me want to go look in my mom's attic for my grandmom's crocheted doilies that I know are in a box!

Gardnr

She got the pillows and really liked them :):clap She has them decorating her bedroom. Thanks for all the compliments! It was definately a learning experience making them... I think I know all there is to know about that type of granny square :)

Those are really cool pillows. What a way to keep your Grandmothers craft around. It was really nice of you to put all your time and work into making something for someone else to enjoy.

I restore and repair antique clothing and quilts and I would suggest that you use a no fray product on these restoration projects......The yarns might have wool in them and cotton doilies are natural fibers which break down in time.....there might be moth/bug damage or just from loving the article.

Nice job. I have an old granny square afghan that my mil made.. that needs repair. I haven't tackled it yet.. when I do, if I can't repair it, I'll consider borrowing your pillow idea.

Archived