Pillows! Salvaging 35 year old granny squares.

PaulaMI

My sister sent me an afghan my Grandma had made back in the 70's. It was a granny square afghan that had seen better decades. It was all falling apart and so were some of the actual squares. All my Gram knew how to make was granny squares really, she didn't know much more nor did she know how to attach them. She used thread to sew things together and instead of weaving she knotted the yarn. Knots and thread don't hold up very well after 30+ years :P

First I had to get a mildew smell out... a few washes with white vinegar in the rinse helped with that. Then I had to separate all the squares. This was not an easy task. It was like defusing a bomb with all black wires except in this case black thread and yarn :P A few times I was actually sweating at which thread/yarn to cut. Then I had to separate the squares into piles that were approx. the same size. My Gram must of used different hooks to make some of them. Then I started to crochet them together to make panels for pillows.

I was able to make 2 large pillows, 4 small pillows and 3 lavendar stuffed pillows for linen closets/drawers.

Here's the finished project...

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d16/paulam03/projects/revamp_grannysquare_pillows.jpg

It took me a while but I'm glad it's done. Instead of being stuffed in a box in a closet my Gram's granny squares will be a functional piece of decor. I hope my sister will like them :)

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a really wonderful idea! You did a beautiful job with them and I'm sure your sister will love them. Right now I'm sitting here having a laugh trying to imagine either my Grandma or my Mimi (also my grandmother) working on bright granny squares.

Kassi

Those pillows look great and you will always have something made by a loved one.:manyheart

I have a couple of ornaments that my Mom made for each of use and I put them on the tree every year.:hook

what a wonderful idea thanks for sharing you just gave me inspiration as to what to make for christmas gifts when i dont want to make a full afghan thanks for the inspiration and those look so awesome .. I would do the same for my grandmother shes got a ton of afghans that she made .. my grandmother made me an allwhite dimaond popcorn afghan that my fiance took in his semi truck for his sleeper afghan and uh i had that afghan in perfect shape for 20 + years and he managed to get it black in 6 months grrrrrrrr darn truckers lol

You're amazing!!! My DH saw the picture and asked me what this thread was about...when I explained everything you did to get these squares from their original state to these pillows, he was astounded that you'd put that much work into it...and wanted me to tell you that you've got him completely impressed LOL!!!

From me, the thought that keeps running through my head is that your Grandmother would be so proud that you enjoyed her work so much that you did all this to be able to have her squares around, especially looking this good!! You did a wonderful job here!!!:clap:clap:clap

Jessie

Archived