What does Crochet mean to you?

I use crochet to relax, and also to take out anger. When I'm angry, I can work myself into a crochet frenzy, and usually it helps me to get some of that anger out in a constructive way. Sort of like a punching bag.

Crochet also makes me feel good about myself. I know I have a bit of a natural talent for it, and when I can finish something that looks good, then I can feel good that I made it. Sometimes I just take out past projects and look and admire them. Not to be full of myself, but to remember making it and enjoy something pretty.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My grandmother taught me to crochet. After many years I finally figured out that Grams was teaching me to be patient and relax. I stopped crocheting for many years but took it back up 10 years ago. It soo reminds me of her and I cherish those memories.

She also taught me how to embroider and I still have many sets of pillow cases that she made.

My grandmother crocheted for as long as I can remember. For the longest time, I had no interest in it. Then one year, my sister came to visit and was crocheting. I love making things and have been told I am just crafty in general. I learned a bit from sis, and then taught myself the rest. I really like being able to make handmade stuff for others. I have a baby blanket that my grandmother made me and it is very special to me. My hope is that others can experience that feeling through something made for them.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

For me, crochet started out as a coping skill to deal with some very intense personal issues --- it has since turned into a way for me to share my faith with others and learn more about God. Crochet has turned into a way for God and I to get together and "bond". I show His love with MY HANDS now... I love it!

• 4 weeks later...

what does it mean to me....Well if you read all the posts before mine, ditto! I love the smell of hobby lobby, and joannes, i can always pick out the different smells of the yarns, my craft room smells like hobby lobby too, i wish there were a room freshner named Yarn! Or a scented candle named Crochet!!

I love working with colors, patterns, textures, and most of my art is just that. colorful... Some prefer neutrals, some jewel tones in particular things, and I see no problem with that, but give me something bright and cheerful and colorful that I put together, and I am happY I aslo enjoy the act of giving my art to others, whether that be in the form of a charity, or friends, and neighbors. They say giving is good for the heart, i agree...

It's also relaxing, meditative at times, and what a way to pass a few hours, you can get so much done! My grandma guides my fingers at times, sometimes I just sit down, with hook and yarn, and let her do her thing through my fingers...Sometimes to places Ive never been before, with a stitch, or a color combination, or a pattern or sorts.

I still have a small bag, hermetically sealed of course,ha ha with a tiny ball of the yarn she taught me how to knit on, which by the way, was the precurser to me teaching my self crochet...... it's dated, oranges, and yellows and brown i think, and it is rolled up tightly, but i know her hands, and my then little girls hands of long ago, held it and cherished that little ball after a project was done, I think hot pads, lol After she died, it was there, in her small wooden box, after so many years, and so now it is mine...RIP meemo......thanks for the journey down the memory lane!

• 1 year later...

When I crochet I feel like I'm changing chaos into order, and I feel soothed and productive.

When I crochet I feel like another woman in a long line of billions of women throughout history who have made things to take care of themselves and their families. 

When I crochet, I increase my ability to be patient and to persevere, and I gain new understanding of what my mom always says -"If it's worth doing, it's worth doing well."

When I finish a crocheted project, I admire each individual stitch I've made. I know that if I approach difficult things in my life with this "one stitch at a time" philosophy, I can handle difficult things and I can do great things.

I have no idea how I survived before I learned to crochet.

When I start to crochet it means that I can escape into the world of crocheting & forget for the most part what is going on at that current moment & also it means that I have some spare time to try & relax until I either need to do something for someone that is here or I need to get up to stretch.

for myself its the letting my imagination take flight

Seeing the finale piece finished and thinking did I really create that?  It's a sense of achievement.

Knowing someone is going to love the item when they receive it.

Having something pretty, well made and usefull that not mass produced in a sweat shop.

Archived