What does Crochet mean to you?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

my maternal grandmother taught me, so I never crochet without thinking of her. it could be said that all of my projects are a testament to her patience in teaching me,(she claimed that I learned fast, but I wanted to learn) or that they are dedicated to her life-time of fine work.(she also embroidered and cross-stitched (and occasionally tatted, I think). she learned as a necessity.

still, to me it goes much deeper. if you have any old pattern books take a GOOD look at the patterns. there is something in those old patterns that you won't find in most of the newer patterns. they have a style, a sophistcation, that you can't find just anywhere. I realize that they had more time,(they did not live in an "instant" society). they created a pure down home folk art. that is the thing that I try to recapture when I make any procject (crochet or knit). I like to think as my work more as art than as simply "just another project". I believe that many, if not all of you, feel that way also. at least that is how I feel when I see the fantastic work that is being done by the members here. the work done by our ansestors may have been borne of necessity but, they, as we all do, put part of their soul into each piece.

as I have already stated, I think of my work as "art" as valuable as any of the masters (Van Gogh, Davinci, [all of the others, which I can't spell]. I think of all the work here (and by other un-named persons who have yet to discover this haven) as priceless works of art. I have yet to sell one piece as I know that no one that I know could afford the monetary value, but they each treasure their piece as if it were a bottomless pit of gold or precious gems. I apologize to be so brazen as to brag, but I have seen the look in each and every one of their eyes and so I know how much these things mean to them. I certainly know what each piece means to me and I have yet to give a piece to anyone whom I feel would not cherish it.

I am sorry to have spent so much time rambling. I hope this answers your question.

my maternal grandmother taught me, so I never crochet without thinking of her. ... a pure down home folk art. that is the thing that I try to recapture when I make any procject (crochet or knit). I like to think as my work more as art than as simply "just another project". I believe that many, if not all of you, feel that way also. ...the work done by our ansestors may have been borne of necessity but, they, as we all do, put part of their soul into each piece.

I feel the same way. Crochet is, for me, the way I am creative, the way I create art.(It may not be art to anyone else, but it is my art.)

But it also is my meditation: I find peace in the process. I love that process so much that I will make things with no recipient in mind, just so I can be involved in the process of making it. Then I give away almost everything I make, if not to a specific person then to charity.

Crochet also is a connection to people who are important to me: 1) my mother. She taught me to crochet when I was about 7, and we've crocheted together ever since. We are not close and have almost nothing in common other than crochet, so it's something she and I can do together; 2)my late MIL, who loved to shop for yarn and with whom I sat many a winter night in her living room, crocheting, while the snow and wind blew outside; 3) my sister, my best friend, who lives a thousand miles from me, and with whom I crochet every time we're together.

• 2 weeks later...

Crochet to me is everything it is to you

And more!

Crochet is my stress reliever, my snack inhibitor, my "Don't bite your fingernails, you'll snack the YARN" inspiration, my back up to dumb arguments with the boyfriend (keep your mouth shut and your hook moving!). Its my entertainment, and often others who watch me work.

I feel creative and at home with a hook in hand. :hook Idle hands do the devil's work while mine make baby clothes! Crochet is my medium to experiment with. If it looks the least bit flexible and long, I'll probably try to hook it. (My boyfriend can attest to this from our hardware store trips...he dragged me out while I pouted over the coils of wire, sisal, and even the plastic bags)

Crochet is a way for me to show my mom how much I love her by making her gifts. Its a way to show others I care, even if I am not that social. Crochet is something to do while watching TV, riding in the car, just hanging out. I definetly feel "high" when I crochet, I'd say I'm addicted and LOVE IT! :yarn:hook:yarn

Melena:manyheart :yarn

For me it is relaxing, and it is a way to honor my grandmother and my mother who taught me how to crochet and sew , and all the women that came before me in my family...I always think of them when I am making something ..and funny sometimes I hear them saying I am doing it wrong, I have to frog it..:hook

Crochet like the other crafts I partake in gives me such a sense of achievement. I've never been good at anything in particular but I can get some threads and a hook (or paper and glue) to do some amazing things. It offers a challenge, it's relaxing, and fun too. I might even have to teach my 3.5yr old DD soon as she wants to "help" (she helps with tatting and cardmaking so to be told she can't help really upsets her). I was taught when I wasn't interested, I was too young. But I was taught enough that when I did pick up a hook again I was able to teach myself everything else I needed to know. I love the freedom of crochet. There is no right or wrong way, there is nothing you cannot make and there are enough combinations available to make a somewhat endless design of one item.

• 3 weeks later...

My late mother (gone more than 9 years now) taught me when I was 8 years old. I have hung on to it ever since. I'll go through dry spells where I won't crochet at all, but I always come back to it.

There is something about it that makes me relax. It was that way for my mother, too. I will never forget, or get rid of, the baby blanket Mom and I crocheted together for my oldest daughter as we spent the last week of my pregnancy together. I was soon to be a single mother, living out of state. Having my mom there with me and creating something special for my daughter, her first granddaughter was a special time.

I have 4 of the most precious thread crocheted dresses my mom crocheted for my two oldest girls, a yarn knit dress she made for me as a child, and 3 baby yarn crocheted dresses she made for my two oldest. Heirlooms, they all are!

Crochet is such an emotional thing for me. It takes me back to simpler times, and especially as I make things for my home I feel a kinship with ladies from the past who also used their hooks and talents to surround themselves with beautiful things. Crocheting calms me when I'm tense, worried or nervous. It fills lonely evenings and sometimes even gives me a reason for hurrying home -- I have a project waiting for me. It gives me great pleasure to create things with my hands, and my projects are like a scrapbook of my life. I can look at a certain doily or afghan and remember what point in my life I created that and feel the memories. I can't imagine my life without crochet. I think this is one of the reasons why I like to teach crochet -- you never know when you introduce someone to our craft just how it will change their life.

I crochet for and because of my grandmother. She taught me when I was 10 and once I started to get good at it, she stopped making stuff for herself. Things like "I sure would like a scarf and hat to go with my coat" or "That blanket sure would look nice on my bed" are her little signals that mean "You need to go to the store and buy some yarn." :-p I crochet to keep my fiance warm (he's living in Canada right now). He says he loves to cover up in something I've made him cause it kinda feels like I'm there with him and I think that's sweet. In a more selfish sense, I crochet because of an "I can do this and you can't" mentality. Sure, there are a lot of us here, but in the grand scheme of things we're only a handful and I like being a part of a handful. :-D

It is a way for me to pass time I'd have to otherwise spend sitting there doing NOTHING which I can't stand!, a productive hobby that is relatively inexpensive (oh yeah nevermind.... yarn shopping! :lol ), something fun to do that yields tangible results, something to spark my creative side, something I can share with friends, and when I finally stop the "Oh that's pretty, I gotta try THAT!" syndrome, hopefully it will also be a way I can make more gifts for people. :) Or maybe even sell a few little things here or there.

• 4 months later...

i love crochet becuase it is a way to unwind when my 21mth dd is in bed, i can make her toys and clothes and when she wakes up sometimes there is something new for her and she loves it, for me the Joy of giving something that i have made.... My mum put it the best for me, she was sitting on her bed talking to my SIL and the were looking at the ripple I had made mum for Christmas, and My SIL askes what it is like to get a home made gift and my mum said"It it wonderful, i know that in every stitch there is Chantis Love and time and effort and there are hundreds and hundreds of stitches!" So for me i am thinking about the person that i am making it for and unwinding from the days excertions!

This is a great thread, thanks for posting it!!

Crochet is a way to relax and to carry on where my grandmother left off. I want to be able to teach my daughter how to crochet so that she can keep the crochet going in the family.

I am very lucky that my gram took the time and patience to teach me to crochet.

It's a way to remember her every time I pick up a hook.

:manyheart

I do it in part- to relax. Of course, since my mom taught me it makes it more special. My grandma used to crochet before mom did, so I think of her when I do it also, she passed on several years ago. I love to see or hear peoples reactions when I make them something they love.:cheer

My grandmother taught me to crochet.

I remember her making Granny squares and the desire to learn to do that was overwhelming.

It took some time ; but I finally learned Gran taught me the love of crochet , sewing and quilting. I learned to knit on my own.She also taught me to hand embroidery. My Mom helped me to.

Crochet to me means relaxing.

And the sastifaction I get from taking a string of yarn of thread and making a thing of beauty out of it.

I love to knit as much as I love to crochet. I combine the two whenever can. :yes

It's always been relaxing for me. I'll come home from a stressful day of school and just crochet up a storm.

Also, it makes me feel better about myself that I can actually make something pretty and special. I lot of my friends have started up crocheting again because I've shown them stuff I've made. I love the feeling of accomplishment when I make something pretty.:hook

It relaxes me and keep me busy since I have no children living at home. And my husband always working.My mother use to crochet. Since she pass away 2 years ago. I am only one who crochets in my family. I hope when my 7 month old granddaughter get older. I can teach her. So, she can cont. What I learn.

corchet means everything .. there is something women in the Arab world say .. : the shadow of a wall is better than the shadow of a man . lol

and i always say . the shadow of crochet is better than the shadow of a man:hook

crochet is being myself .. a yarn means me and me means a yarn :yarn .. a hook is the best friend :hug .. whenever iam sad or lonely i corchet .. whenever i have a problem or feel stressed i crochet .. whenever, wherever. however i meet a new friend she should love crochet and learn how to crochet ..

it's a great world .. limitless .. it feels great when i know that my mama is happy to see me crocheting coz she wanted me to crochet since i was 6 years old ..

long live crochet:cheer

• 1 month later...

I do it in part, like so many, for the relaxation benefits. I also really enjoy challenging patterns, which keep my both my mind and my fingers going. It's also fun, and I get alot of satisfaction and enjoyment out of finishing a project, no matter how small or large it is. Too, I love the fact that I can crochet something instead of buying it in a store. DIY is always a good thing. And having a unique way to contribute to charities is awesome.

I'm currently the only one in my family who crochets, which makes me the one responsible for creating the heirlooms in the family. :hook With each item I crochet, whether for myself, family, or someone else, I share a piece of me that no one can get anywhere else.

• 4 years later...

There are a number of reasons..

1. It's very therapeutic for me

2. Gives me a sense of accomplishment

3. Allows me to be creative

4. It relaxes me when I'm mad and upset

5. Gives me something to do during the day

• 1 month later...

My number one reason for crocheting nowadays is to keep myself going and work through my pain.

But I have done it for 60+ years and most were pain free. My reasons were:

1-economy: yarn used to be fairly inexpensive, and we even used sewing thread to make lacey items.

2-need: to make pleasing and useful items that weren't available to me otherwise.

3-art and a desire to create something that would last longer than me.

4-I was given a gift of talent and felt the urge to share it with others

5-to give to those less fortunate than I was

6-to have a retreat from a hectic life, that I could take with me wherever I went.

7- (this may be considered selfish) I liked the feeling of self satisfaction when something was completed, and the compliments from others were like icing on the cake.

Archived