Giving Crochet Gifts - Presentation?

I couldn't think of a better place to put this, but if it doesn't belong here, please MOVE it! :lol

I was wondering what everyone else does with the gifts they crochet and give to others (if they are not being sent away that is!).

I am all about presentation - I really feel that how you present something really dictates how the person will feel about the gift (first impressions and all). But here comes the rub. I hate spending $4 or $5 on gift boxes you get at the Hallmark store or something similar.

How do you give away your stuff? Especially if it isn't for a special occasion like an anniversary or holiday of some sort.

Any ideas? I sure would like to find somewhere that sells those gift boxes at a good price.

I usually go with gift bags instead of boxes...especially for the bigger things like blankets...plus in my family, all the gift boxes & bags that are used over the holidays are folded away and re-used later, so we usually have a couple of shirt-boxes or something like that...also, you can ask for skirt boxes when you shop at stores like Sears...like, take the kids back to school shopping, bring all those clothes to the register and ask for some shirt boxes..they don't need to know that all those clothes are for your kids!!:D

Jessie

I usually use bags, as well. However, I am fortunate enough to live near numerous dollar stores that have great selections of oversize gift bags! Throw in a dollar bundle of multicolored tissues paper...and even a card if you want...and you have a beautiful looking package that no one has to know came from the dollar store!

I hope you find that pattern for the bags crochet mama, would love to see it.

I thought of that theworm, but sometimes I take it somewhere and would like to have something to transport it in.

Great suggestions all!

What if you wrapped things up kind of "old fashion style"

One year I used brown paper and snowflakes I cut out and taped them to the paper. You could even tape crocheted snowflakes to the package.

The Dollar Store where I live carries boxes, too. I think it is called the 'Dollar Tree'. (Don't think anyone mentioned that yet...)

When I didn't have *anything* to wrap my gifts in, once, I used shiny, colorful magazine pages (from an old Martha Stewart Living magazine), taped all together over the box. (One I had... I am a pack rat..) For the 'ribbon', I braided three different coordinating colors of yarn together, or twisted them. (I had three packages I was doing...) It actually looked pretty good, I thought. Or brown paper bags, like someone mentioned. I have done that a lot. If the gift is for a child, you could get some cheap (er, I mean, inexpensive...) stamps to put all over the package. (Markers work good for stamps, you wouldn't have to buy a stamp pad.) Or cut-outs, glued-on; I think someone mentioned that...

Oh, once, for a baby shower, I turned a (clean) brown paper bag inside out (the big ones), folded and glued the very top edge down, inside the bag. I cut slits all along the edge about two inches down, then wove a 3" blue checked ribbon through, and made a bow in the front. Put some tissue paper to cover the gift. There was my cheapo 'gift bag'. The person who hosted the baby shower said, 'That is a good idea. Everyone should have done that, then put the money they would have spent on a gift bag into a kitty to give the mother for diapers'. :D

(If you're tight on money, I thought those ideas *might* help...)

Tina

Tina, I love that bag idea!

I swear by brown kraft paper. You can do so much with it. One year, I did 7 afghans for gifts. I put each one in a big box and wrapped it with the brown paper. I tied each box with tulle and added some fresh cedar sprigs and a spray of gold berries that I got on clearance from Michaels. A couple got jungle bells.

My 4 year old also likes to draw and make the paper for me. :) When I see boxes of fabric at yard sales, I grab them beacause fabric is great for wrapping stuff. You can make your own bags that can be recycled.

I get some of my boxes at the dollar store.....the same with the gift bags. I always try to use a real nice tissue paper to put inside my boxes and I gift wrap them in an all occasion paper.....the dollar store sells that too. I like to do a pretty presentation, but I don't want to spend a lot of money doing it....as the wrap is usually thrown away anyway. You don't have to spend a lot to make your package look pretty.

Thank you all again very much!

I went to my local Dollar Store and SCORED on some bags! That is really a great idea!

I also like the idea of the brown kraft paper, can't you get that like in huge rolls somewhere?

I've gotten brown or white paper on a roll at office supply stores, Staples, Office Depot, i've even gotten a huge roll of wrapping paper at party supply stores (in my area at least, but I don't think they sell it anymore). That a suggestion.

jaye

Another something to get from the Dollar Store (or party stores) that is "unusual" is plastic tableclothes. They come in all colors, and even in different prints. They are especially great for large packages, but they aren't very thick.

But there are lots of ideas on this page I use and agree with, and I love the paper bag/ribbon idea! It sounds lovely!

Archived