To roll or not to roll.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I really prefer to work from a ball. I tend to work from the skein only if it's a fresh one that hasn't been used before. At that point, there's just... too much yarn for me to ball. My hands get sore if I try. Then I'm sitting there with a half of a skein and a half of a skein on a ball... I can't stop halfway. It makes me crazy.

When I'm done with a project I ball up the yarn for later, though. Sometimes I buy left over yarn at yard sales and such, then I'll ball those as well. It stores better that way and doesn't get tangled so easily. Also, it's less trouble some when my kitties get into balls of yarn than when they attack the skeins. :D

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I roll my youngest son cody gets very bored stuck in bed alot so i have him to the rolling skein after skein of it and he loves the pounders also i found the coolest tote it has a zipper area with 3 different compartments and three holes in each compartment holds up to 9 rolls at a time each color has its own hole and it works out great the only draw back is if your working on something and want to take store it somewhere maybe bigger the yarn attached to the piece is kinda stuck to take it anywhere from the bag you have to either finish a row or cut it so i think ill be buying a couple more totes like it DH will just love that

It usually depends on the type of skein. Vanna's Choice is a pain to work with from the skein, as there's not a center-pull option fresh from the store. I recently started an afghan project with 13 or so different colors of the the stuff, and I wish I'd known how to wind my skeins into center-pull cakes by hand, like I learned to do last week...those cute little old fashioned ball come unwound and snarled so uncommonly fast. Grrr!

I don't have a ball-winder so I just use straight from the outside of the skein, it would take too long to do by hand! Only back in May when I traveled overseas for a month I rolled all my thread and 2 partial cones of ww cotton in balls so they could fit easily in my luggage.

Archived