To roll or not to roll.

I use the yarn straight from the skein unless it's wound in a hank....then I use my winder. If I have only used about half the skein for a project, I will wind it into a cake then, just because I don't like those "floppy" half skeins, they always get tangled!

Couldn't have said it better myself. Yup, that's what I do.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't have a winder so I have always worked from the skein. It has been driving me progressively crazy because of the inevitable tangles half-way through. So I took my last clinical trial research check-up payment and used a bit of it for a ball winder. I used a coupon and got it for $25 and free shipping. I think it'll be worth the patience of having waited for a good deal!

Happy crocheting!

I've always used my yarn from the skein, whenever possible. When I first started crocheting, I would wind it into a ball because that's how the lady who taught me did it. I actually crocheted two afghans with Red Heart before I read the label and saw the instructions for pulling from the middle!:blush My mom always used to say "When all else fails, read the instructions" LOL. I'm still learning to do that.

I do have a question for those of you with ball winders, can you get one that works with thread and yarn? I have quite a stash of thread that I am hanging onto and it would take up less storage space if wound into smaller balls. I've looked at the ball winders, but can't figure out if they would work with both thread and yarn. Does anyone have one that does?

I used to pull from the center, but the tangled mess at the end of the skein drove me insane. Now I work from the outside of the skein and have never had a tangle doing it that way. I got a couple of those shoe-box size plastic bins and put the skeins in them as I work - it keeps them from flopping all over the floor.

When I have less than half a skein left I'll ball it for storage.

O.K. I know I'm 'new' but after reading quite a few posts here, I want to know.. Do you roll your yarn into a ball off of the skein, or just work straight from the skein?

I've always pulled mine from the skein. It's just never been that big of a deal to me! :yarn

• 3 weeks later...

I always roll yarn into balls! One it is easy to travel with and work with and most important I always find knots or the two end twisted together (that would drive me crazy in the middle of a project. Does anyone else get skiens with the same problems???

• 2 weeks later...

i use the skein and will dive into one and get the inside thread even if it is not a "pull skein"

i used to wind- a center pull ball ,but it takes too long and i usually want to get started right away on a new project

i do mostly squares so i can wind if the skein starts to tangle at the end

cakes are fine unless they are great big, i think skeins are easier to store and i have gotten cakes from others that are knotted in the middle just like some factory skeins so it's sixes!!:hook

• 2 weeks later...

Generally when I'm bored I will ball up my yarn if I have nothing else to do. Other wise I'm just a lazy teenager and leave it as a skein. I find the Skein's actually fit better in my tote than the balls of yarn do.

• 3 weeks later...

I work from the skein...I bought a ball winder and HATED it...could not get the hang of it at all. Gave it to a cousin who was over the moon to receive it...

Now then, that being said, I can wind up center pull balls, and when I've had to frog old WIP's and UFO's I've basically abandoned, I'll wind them up that way and they are great...I just do not want to take the time to wind up all my skeins before I start a project...I want to get on with the project.

Archived