To roll or not to roll.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I work from the skein unless I just half that awful stringy quarter skein left, then I wind it.

When I work, though, I make sure to pull out some yarn and work from that--the tension changes that can happen as the yarn comes out of different parts of the skein bothers me.

I only wind it into a ball if I have to. If the yarn comes in a pull skein I won't wind it but if not then I will. If I use part of the skein, even just a little bit, I will wind it in a ball so that I know that I used some of it and not to expect to get the full yardage. Since winding can stretch out the yarn I am careful to wind it loosely. I never noticed the difference when I wound it into a ball as opposed to not winding it. I guess it would make a difference if it was a variegated - it might make the colors flow the wrong way? I don't use a lot of variegated so I don't know.

• 1 month later...

I don't roll unless I absolutely have to...some yarns are just too soft & slickery to hold in the skein once more than half of it has been used, then I'll roll the rest (grrr)

Well, you know, I have to be different. I don't ball my yarn, but I don't pull from the middle either. I treat it as if it's already a ball, and I pull from the outside. :rock

:ladybug Pam

It all depends on the yarn...if it's one of those ones that's notoriously bad to pull from the skein, I'll ball it up. Otherwise, I try to pull from the skein. Some yarns that don't appear to be pull-skeins actually are if you dig around in there for the end (i.e. Patons yarns).

Right now, I'm working on a sweater using more expensive yarn that came in those skeins you HAVE to ball up first--a nightmare from hell, seeing as it keeps getting tangled. The worst is that I have 14 more skeins to ball up! I may have to break down and buy one of those swifts...

I do both. If its a brand new ball of yarn I start from the centre and will wind it up when its about half 'empty' if I can. I never start from the outside though, don't like the way it jerks around on the floor.

If its second hand yarn gifted to me from somewhere, or bought from a thrift store, I always wind it. Makes it easier to gauge how much I have. You know.."a ball this big will make..." - what really annoys me with thrift store yarn is that they usually tape up the outside and of course, the yarn stitcks to it. grrrr

If I want to work with yarn, but don't know what to make, then I wind yarn.

Somebody posted it on here before - I taught myself how to do it. I have the same gripe with the center balls as the skeins, though - they collapse on themselves and then you're left with a tangled mess from the middle. I don't do center pull skeins anymore, but it was such a great idea!

It depends on the yarn I get. My sock yarns generally come in hanks, so I have to wind them. If it's already a center pull, I'll just use it. That is until it turns into a tangled mess from frogging it and I have to ball it up anyway. :D

If I am frogging something, I will usually ball it up though.

I think the ball winder is the greatest thing yet Now only if I had one of my own :hook But for now I just use my mothers when she comes down for a vist.

they keep you yarn all nice and need and you can fit so much more yarn in little place that way looks like you have not bought out the yarn store lately

• 1 year later...

Two questions, and this will definitely prove that I'm a newbie :) What the heck does "frog" mean? And where does one acquire a yarn winder? I have some skeins that I'd love to ball, though I usually use the pull-skeins as they are, and a winder would be wonderful!! :D

EDIT- found a winder at www.acmoore.com; interesting looking contraption! I may have to head to the store to check 'em out in person!

I purchased a swift and yarn ball winder a few months ago because I was given some hanks of wool. I always wanted the winder so I used coupons for Joann's Fabrics. I haven't used them yet but I have a question about winding from skeins of Red Heart, etc. How would you put those skeins on the swift? Or, would you just roll them on the winder pulling manually from the center of the skein? That sounds like a project for this weekend!

Archived