Jo-ann's vs Michaels??? *UPDATED*

darncat

It is funny how everyone has different stories. I guess it is a regional thing or something. I just went to Joann's and Michaels today actually, Joann's here has A LOT of that fur (crap - sorry I don't like that stuff), a tiny bit of baby yarns and maybe an aisle of yarn. Our Michaels' has not much of that fur stuff, a nice size of baby colors and 2 aisles or so of the rest. I would choose Michaels for selection, but I would choose Joann's for the coupons. I guess money really becomes a factor, depends on how much you want to spend. Sorry if I didn't help any :(

EEEKKK!!! :eek

Now what do I do??? The Jo-ann's that is in the area is a superstore and the Michael's is 2 miles from that. I talked to my mom today and she added a few more stops to the trip, including the mall :yuck so I can't go to both. Plus I don't want to make them wait too long while I make my choices. Thanx fort the link to the coupon I will check that out. And the idea of calling about their inventory is a good one. Maybe I should go to Jo-ann's this trip and go to Miichael's on the next one. I just want to make sure the first store I go to I can get the things I need right now. (eyes, hooks and notions) I can wait a bit on the yarn. I just wish they were closer. There is a Hobby Lobby, but the one I've seen is very small, as for AC Moore I'd never heard of it untill I joined this site, there might be one in Fort Wayne but I don't know.

Oh man what to do now??

Thank You All For Your Input!!!

Here in California, I would definately say Michaels. They are a larger store and have a huge variety of crafting supplies. They carry high end and middle value as well. They definately have a larger selection of yarns and a wider variety of colors in the yarns they do carry. For example Lion Brand Homespun, Michaels has at least 20+ colors whereas Joann's has about 6. Joann's only has a few colors to choose from in each brand. Our Joann's has a larger selection of fabrics and notions than they do yarns. Our Michaels is a nicer store with nicer people too. The sales are pretty good too, but you really have to watch the adds. I would say that Michaels is an all around better store for every crafting project!

EEEKKK!!! :eek

Now what do I do??? The Jo-ann's that is in the area is a superstore and the Michael's is 2 miles from that. I talked to my mom today and she added a few more stops to the trip, including the mall :yuck so I can't go to both.

DEFINITELY go to the JoAnns this trip - the superstores are the best, they're HUGE. You'll have your best chances of finding everything you need at that one. Save Michaels for your next trip. That's my recommendation.

Oh, and a quick question: any of these family members coming along into any kind of hobby? They might like to go in and browse the store too, and it would take some of the pressure off of you to hurry. Just a thought...

LOL - I'm going to end up editing this to death, but... I just went back and reread what you wrote, missed the comment about needing "eyes, hooks and notions", and based on that, my recommendation is increased. Michaels does not have sewing stuff, or very little of it if any. JoAnns is primarily a sewing store/fabric shop. That was it's primary focus until it started expanding to include other crafts (that's why it was always known as "JoAnn Fabrics"). Okay, this is absolutely the LAST time I edit this post!

Well my mom used to cross stitch, but not any more. So I'm the only one in the family that crafts. As for the notions I ment things like stitch markers, row counter, nap raiser brush and other things for crochet. I used to sew but my poor little machine needs to go to the shop. It started making a funny noise and breaking needles when I made all new curtains for my best friend's camper. As for yarn I want that all the time :blush. My hubby doesn't get it, he says "You have 2 tubs of the stuff, isn't that enough?" Of course I say you can never have enough of a good thing. As for my addiction to crochet it's cheeper than most any thing else. Plus I love it.

I can't have them drop me off while they go to the mall, my mom wants me to go with her to victoria secret and pick out something, I won't say what for :D. Plus the Sears is in the mall if I leave my hubby there alone I would never see him again.

I can hear it 'Ding, Ding' In this corner we have Jo-ann's weighing in with a superstore and in this corner we have Michael's weighing in with a wide selection. Oh no I think I'm loosing it, LOL. Who will win? Two more days, I think I will tell my my mom which ever one is closer to the mall will be the winner, even tho they are only two miles apart. Since I can't choose. If I don't get everything this trip, my b-day is coming up. I'll just go to the other store next time. The only thing that will swing my decision will be a good sale, discounts or selection. I still have to call them both to find out what they have in stock. Sorry about the long post. Thanx for all your input.:hug

***I need: eyes, hooks, YARN, nap raiser brush and what ever I can get my hands on :devil Any input would be great, plus I just got a 40% off coupon for Michaels. But If Jo-ann's is better I will go there. I've never been to either store so I have no idea which one is better. HELP!!!!!!!!****

Wiggle eyes or hook eyes? Both places have them.

Crochet hooks? Both places.

Yarn? Around here anyways, Michael's has been trying harder than Jo Ann's. Jo-ann's look like it is going out of buisiness all the time.

I have no clue what a nap raiser is.

I'd say Check to see if the jo-anns is an ETC store or a regular store. If it's an ETC it will have more of a selection, but it will still be Jo-Ann's. Around here you can use competitor's coupons at the craft stores... so you might see if you can use that Jo-ann's coupon at Michael's. Call ahead.

I've worked at both places and I'm not real impressed with either. So I guess if you don't need fabric you may as well go to Michael's (they've been having clearance yarns).

I'd say Check to see if the jo-anns is an ETC store or a regular store. If it's an ETC it will have more of a selection, but it will still be Jo-Ann's. Around here you can use competitor's coupons at the craft stores... so you might see if you can use that Jo-ann's coupon at Michael's. Call ahead.

She already did that. It's a superstore. :D

(they stopped using the lame "ETC" thing a few years ago, thank goodness)

Well I need small eyes for toys. I need things like cat eyes and solid colors, no google. A nap raiser brush, the one I want is finger size. You brush it across your finished project and it makes the yarn fuzzy kinda like hair or fur, depending on what kind of yarn you crocheted with. It gives it a great look and feel. I told the hubby that I changed my mind again and he looked at me like I'd lost it. Then he said no more changes, and if I changed my mind one more time he would leave me at home and eat my steak for me :eek. He may say that but he wouldn't leave me, so there is still time for me to flip a coin or stick with the plan. Wish me luck, I will post here, where we went and what deals that I got. Only bad thing he keeps telling me that I can't spend too much :(.

Well we got back from our trip. I can tell you I was disapointed with Jo-ann's. They did have a large selection of yarn, but OMG the some of the prices!! Way to much for me. The crochet supplies weren't great. They had stuff but not much. I was able to get some clover hooks and eyes but that was it. They didn't have the nap brush and the row counter was almost twice as much as it is online. The patterns were in tatty condition and there weren't that many of them. Oh well, next time I will go to Michael's. Thank you all for you help.

I found the almost local Joanns, and it was about the same...except the yarn selection wasn't large, just different. And pricey. I am going to just suck it up and pay a bit more to go to the LYS and get exactly what I want.

I'm sorry the Joann's was such a disappointment. I really haven't seen a huge difference in my stores, except that my Joann's has a better selection. The prices are similar, with each store having some prices higher or lower than the other. Neither one does well with patterns, although both have some books.

our michaels will accept the % off coupons from ac moore usually one per transaction, but yesterday the clerk allowed me to do four sales using a coupon on each. (they were ac moore coupons)

Archived