work your abs while crocheting!

okay, this sounds really hokey, but i tried it before posting this tip.

2 days ago at my personal training session at the gym, the trainer asked what my hobbies were.

when i told her crocheting and reading, she got all excited and said how perfect!

she told me to try them while sitting on a 'stability ball'

you know, the giant balls that are all the rage at the gym these days. so i went to WM and picked one up for just under 12$. oh my golly! it doesn't take long before you realize that this really does a number on your abs (especially if they could use a little work-like mine). because you have to hold yourself steady by using your tummy and back muscles. i have found a new way to sit and crochet.

thought it was worth passing on :woohoo

What a great idea!

And I'm finding the google ads kind of handy, not annoying at all. I was thinking since my pysique is on the "fluffy" side perhaps I ballance ball might not be strong enough for me to sit on. Well lookie, just click on a google ad up top and I had my answer (which was thankfully, no, I'm not too fluffy to use one).

Holly

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol ::lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :

Guest crochetis4fun

I think this sounds so fun, and will be shopping for a ball for myself. Thanks so much for the great tip. Maybe I won't have to feel so guilty for sitting so long and not exercising enough:rock Do you think that Target or Shopko might carry them as well?

Joy

i'm sure target has them.

by the way,

finished my trinity square for the 63CAL last night- on my ball, of course. the kids think it is hilarious. :bounce

i have a lot of work to do on my bod, so i'm feeling pretty good about my ball-sitting :) i definately feel it in my back- guess that says a little something about my previous comfy couch slouchin crochetin stature :lol

let me know if you end up finding one

I really think I'm going to have to do this ball thing. My back has been killing me lately from over-slouching and two babies destroyed whatever chance I once had at nice abs. Thanks for such a great idea! :clap

Guest crochetis4fun

well I have been looking for the ball, and leave it to me to make something easy a little hard. How big is this ball? 3 ft.? 52 cm? or bigger? They had one at walmart for $11 and some odd cents. Is that the right one? The one at target was $25. but maybe worth it if that is the right one. I was telling my daughter about it when we were in Michaels today, and the little cashier lady was very interested also. Maybe you've started a new trend. Crochet the healthy way. :woohoo

Have a good day!

Joy

tiff - girl, we could chat about what these precious gifts have done to our tummies :) (i have 4). this ball comes with 2 posters of different really quick exercises that have given me some serious soreness..... that means it's working, right ?:b

joy - i got that 11 bucker at walmart. its in a square bluish box. the ball itself is white or 'crystal' or something in the sporting goods dept.

Guest wolfs1love

how exactly do you sit on it?

cause i know that if you sit on it with your feet on the floor you can actually just balance yourself with your feet...

i actually just sit on it like a chair. and you're right, you could cheat your abs by using your feet too much. but it will still strengthen your back because of the way it forces you to sit straight. and with your hands being busy, you have to use your core muscles to keep you balanced. i guess i am just aware of my actually wanting to strengthen my tummy so it keeps me in check with how much weight i put on my feet. and i kinda do a tighten/release thing with my lower abs. sounds complicated, but easily done. does that make sense?

Last time I sat on a ball like that, a 10 lb baby came out. :rollin I used a birthing ball when I had my daughter. And I don't have a six pack - more like a baker's dozen. lol

That sounds like a wonderful idea though! Talk about multi-tasking. ;) Have you fallen off?

When you sit on the ball, your legs should be bent to a 90' angle. So you fill the ball with air accordingly. I use it when sitting at my computer. Never thought to use it for crochet. A way to engage all the muscles is to lift a leg a bit and try to stay balanced but be careful, you're holding a hook! OUCH!!!:oops :rollin

Guest wolfs1love

i just got one at walmart tonight for like 12 bucks and the weight limit is 300pounds....

did you all inflate it to the max or close to....or much less?

Guest crochetis4fun

Got my ball today. I tried it out first thing. It was cute cause my hubby helped me blow the thing up. Had to try out a few of the exercises before I got down to crocheting. Try doing the pushups. I was quite the sight:blush I then try crocheting and I feel it most in my back and thighs. Which both are problem areas. I have a crochet slump, and my thighs...uughhhh Well anyway, thanks for the great tip.

Joy

i'm so glad so many of you have enjoyed this and don't think i'm a nutcase!:nana ;)

i really like mine and have been able to increase the number of squats i'm doing with it. my trainer said sitting on it everyday is fine, but to only do an actual "workout" with it every/other day = because you tear the muscles doing workout and they need the next day to repair and get stronger (on repair days, the more water you drink, the faster you repair). she also said doing arms-upper legs-booty one day then lower legs-abs-back the next is fine. doing all the same day is better if you can get your heart rate up while doing it. anyway, just thought i'd pass her advice your way.

oh, and did you know doing hamstring and quadricep exercises causes a hormone release in women that tells your body to burn fat? :woohoo squats are my favorite thing to do now!

Guest chrochetgirl

i just bought one of these balls at target, its a 25 nd 3/4 inch ball for 11.99 on clearance i hope it is the right one!

Gum:knit

I bought that same ball yesterday myself! :lol The bad part is that I've never seen my toddler laugh so much with glee until she saw that ball blown up. I loved watching my husband chase her around the house while she attempted to carry it or kick it. :)

Archived