Round Ripple rewrite???

Okay for months now I have been trying to make a round ripple afghan but as many people here have found the pattern that is most commonly used http://project-angel-kisses.150m.com/roundripple.html is somewhat lacking after round 9. I have read every tip and hint that I could find here and other places like Craftster.org but still can not get it.:bang:thair

Some of you have been able to get past this row and produce such beautiful ghans that it got me to wondering has anybody tried to rewrite this or help the original author rewrite it. I am not knocking her design at all I think that it is wonderful and simple but a little more detail would be nice.

Am I wrong in thinking this? Would it be wrong to write a new pattern if it was changed a little?

Any thoughts, I don't want to step on anybodies toes.:shrug

I don't think a rewrite is appropriate or necessary. Basically, after row 7, you just keep repeating rows 5, 6, & 7 (2 increase rows and one row without increase) until you have an afghan the size you want.

Melissa, when I read your post, I immediately pictured a five-petal flower. And then, I thought, why not? Maybe I'll try it, or does that seem a bit too 70ish?

Sorry if I offended anyone I think I was frustrated at having to frog yet once again. Mudpie no one has explained the rest of the rounds as simply as you have so I will give it another go. And your idea of a five petal flower sounds really nice.

I don't think a rewrite is appropriate or necessary. Basically, after row 7, you just keep repeating rows 5, 6, & 7 (2 increase rows and one row without increase) until you have an afghan the size you want.

Actually the pattern calls for repeating the rows in a 4 row repeat with 2 large shell (or increase) rows followed by 2 small shell (or no increase) rows. That worked for me!

Zeropixie, no apology is necessary, as I don't think anyone was offended. Flyinghooks, I didn't look at the pattern closely. You're right about the two rows each. The pattern I crochet does use the repeat I described (2 rows with increase, 1 without). Whichever works for you is the one you should use.

Chrome Kitty - are you the same one who organized the ROAKs in a spreadsheet? I really admire your organization. :D

I have trouble reading patterns sometimes and your 'play-by-play' just might help me overcome my block with this afghan.

Flyinghooks, I didn't look at the pattern closely. You're right about the two rows each. The pattern I crochet does use the repeat I described (2 rows with increase, 1 without). Whichever works for you is the one you should use.

Yes Mudpie - Sorry if I sounded abrupt - I now realize that there are at least 2 versions of this round ripple out there one does the 2 large - 2 small and one does the 2 large - 1 small repeat! No wonder so many people are confused!!

Chrome Kitty - are you the same one who organized the ROAKs in a spreadsheet? I really admire your organization. :D

I have trouble reading patterns sometimes and your 'play-by-play' just might help me overcome my block with this afghan.

No, that wasn't me with the spreadsheets. If you could see my house, "organized" is probably the last word you'd think of. :lol

The pattern is much easier than it seems when you read it. I did the row count because I'm insane about counting. Even when it's not necessary, I still do it.:blush Once you get going on this afghan, you won't even need to look at the pattern.:hook

Perfect timing....I just started the round ripple first (not star pattern) and got so confused that I frogged it and now am working Beth's Little Star pattern but I bought Pale Pink boucle which is so hard to see the stitches and may frog it again and just use worsted wt....I am trying to make it for a baby girl's arrival and I have 3 skeins of ww in a variegated pattern of pale pink, lavendar and salmon and thought the pale pink boucle would compliment it well, but it is driving me crazy....

One Question - which pattern is easier" - Round Ripple or Beth"s Little Star???

It's only my opinion but I find the round ripple easier than the star.

After reading this I wondered what the blanket would look like if you modified it to have six points..I didn't get too far but I blogged about it if you are curious what it might look like if the star ripple and round ripple reproduced LOL. if that link doesn't work try this one blogger seems to be having issues

Ro

It's only my opinion but I find the round ripple easier than the star.

After reading this I wondered what the blanket would look like if you modified it to have six points..I didn't get too far but I blogged about it if you are curious what it might look like if the star ripple and round ripple reproduced LOL. if that link doesn't work try this one blogger seems to be having issues

Ro

Hiya,

I have successfully made both six and eight point star afghans, and even made a six point 'star' poncho. Pictures of all of them are here in my MSN bloggy thing. Six Point Star Pattern is here.

It can be done!

Wonderful! :clap I'm glad someone else already did it so I don't have to LOL. My little Frankenblankie is getting wonkier and wonkier as I go and I think it has a personality LOL

Thanks Monique!!!

Anybody come up with a ripple that's more flower shaped so I don't have to bend my tiny mind into a pretzyl trying to figure that out?

Wonderful! :clap I'm glad someone else already did it so I don't have to LOL. My little Frankenblankie is getting wonkier and wonkier as I go and I think it has a personality LOL

Thanks Monique!!!

Anybody come up with a ripple that's more flower shaped so I don't have to bend my tiny mind into a pretzyl trying to figure that out?

I love the colors in Frankenblankie! Wish those colors were in my stash. :yes

A flower one wouldn't be all that hard...you'd just have to increase just so where the points are..wouldn't you? Start with a solid um, hexagon and round out the flat sides? You know I am going to have to go see if there is anything remotely similar and then try this, don't you? :s

Well that's what my mind says, it's in the execution between the brain and the hands that I run into problems LOL !

Thank you for the colors compliment, it's actually much better than it looks in the pictures it's Simply Soft brites the turquoise and blue quite loud actually my little webcam stinks!

I'll be sending you "be one with the flower, find your inner rippled flower, Monique!" vibes so hopefully you can get that pattern cause man I'd love to make one but I just don't think I have the cylinders in my head firing well enough to iron it out.

I'm so bad about writing out patterns now! I can make some things and certain hats repeatedly with no problem it's the getting it down onto paper that is getting increasingly hard for me :sweat

Well that's what my mind says, it's in the execution between the brain and the hands that I run into problems LOL !

Thank you for the colors compliment, it's actually much better than it looks in the pictures it's Simply Soft brites the turquoise and blue quite loud actually my little webcam stinks!

I'll be sending you "be one with the flower, find your inner rippled flower, Monique!" vibes so hopefully you can get that pattern cause man I'd love to make one but I just don't think I have the cylinders in my head firing well enough to iron it out.

I'm so bad about writing out patterns now! I can make some things and certain hats repeatedly with no problem it's the getting it down onto paper that is getting increasingly hard for me :sweat

the vibes..the vibes...are working ;)

I have four rows of the sample flower rug done....do do do do..all I have to do is write it as I go, unless I will forget how I did it! So far, so good anyway. Knowing the formula for star/round (circular?) ripples really helps too.

Okay for months now I have been trying to make a round ripple afghan but as many people here have found the pattern that is most commonly used http://project-angel-kisses.150m.com/roundripple.html is somewhat lacking after round 9. I have read every tip and hint that I could find here and other places like Craftster.org but still can not get it.:bang:thair

Some of you have been able to get past this row and produce such beautiful ghans that it got me to wondering has anybody tried to rewrite this or help the original author rewrite it. I am not knocking her design at all I think that it is wonderful and simple but a little more detail would be nice.

Am I wrong in thinking this? Would it be wrong to write a new pattern if it was changed a little?

Any thoughts, I don't want to step on anybodies toes.:shrug

Actually, I think it would be nice if it WAS re-written, espcially if someone took the time to write each round, and then say something like "Stop here for baby size," then a few more rounds and another "Stop here for toddler size," etc. KWIM?

Also, is there any reason why it can't be turned? I'm not loving the fact that it has a right side and a wrong side. By turning the work, wouldn't that make it more "reversible?"

With some help from Dasiy I finally get it. I am now on row fifteen :cheer I can't belive how easy this is 'NOW'. I am having internet issuses so I can't show a picture right now but I am doing it in black and red. As for size well I am just going to use up the skeins that I've got so I am thinking three or four feet across maybe bigger. Thanks for all the help will get a pic as soon as I can. :D :D :D

Thank you Chrome Kitty for your pattern correction and notes. I became frustrated trying this pattern and your suggestions cleared everything up. After several rounds, I think I understand it. It is really fun to do and doesn't require too much thought.

Archived