Rag crochet?

Good Morning Ladies.

My surfing adventures led me to alot of reading this morning about rag crochet. I really need new chairpads for my kitchen chairs...lol I figured I'd rather learn how to make them rather then buy them. They always fall apart when I have to wash them.

I ordered a book from Annie's Attic How To Rag Crochet. I figured that while I wait for the book to get here I'd try to see if anyone else here has ever given this a go???

I am thinking that maybe I would be able to recycle some of my family's old t-shirts or is it easier to just buy the fabric. I have a ton of that too from my sewing maching days.

Will a simple "Q" hook work fine with this? Do you machine sew all your strips together?? Is there anyway around bringing out the sewing machine?

Anyhow.....I guess until then it is best to wait for the book to arrive instead of jumping in with only one foot.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Ro-

ro - i have a booklet on it... seems to be the same as regular crochet.. just thicker with a big hook....just a sec, gonna go get it:

it is

McCall's creates... Fabric Crochet Baskets

it gives directions on how to cut the fabric, these are done with a fabric that has no stretch.... i'm not sure how the tshirt thing would work.

anyhow... guess that is all i have to share. not much really:p

i do plan on using this.... i want to make square baskets to go in my armoire in my bedroom-something nice to keep my non-mentionables :o in.

oh, it does use a Q hook ... and a "bias strip" approach to the fabric, so it's not loaded with frayed edges... make sense?

Thank you Amber...rebecca, do you know exactly what the bias is? I was reading about that this morning online at about.com and I am not to sure how to know where the bias is on the fabric.....a seemstress I am not...but not for the lack of trying that creative outlet also....:rofl

Thanks for running to your book. Maybe once my book gets here we can be rag crochet buddies or sumthin...lol

coach each other along while we learn it together. That would be fun AND helpful.

Thanks for the info,

Ro-

Archived