How much to sell yarn . . .

for? I am planning on having a garage sale soon and want to get rid of yarn. How much could I sell Red Heart SS for? Eyelash yarn (fun fur) or similar? Sugar & Cream (small) cotton yarn?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Julie

Just a suggestion:

Why don't you check with our members here at the 'ville? We are always looking for yarn bargains, the ones you mentioned are commonly used brands, and you might be able to get more from serious crocheters than at a garage sale. As long as you can find someone local so there is no shipping involved...

Thanks "angelfire" and "smartcat" for your quick replies. I was thinking $2.00 for each Fun Fur or is that too much? I know it sells for about $5.00 at Michaels. I guess I should walk into Michaels after I have everything that I want to sell to see what it sells for originally.

The grab bag idea sound great - I just don't want people to say "I don't want this color, etc."

Thanks again,

Julie

Just a suggestion:

Why don't you check with our members here at the 'ville? We are always looking for yarn bargains, the ones you mentioned are commonly used brands, and you might be able to get more from serious crocheters than at a garage sale. As long as you can find someone local so there is no shipping involved...

Is there anyone in the O'Fallon, MO area or surrounding area? If so, please e-mail me.

I would Say sell it for $1 a skein. While that seems really low... people will buy it (and that's the point of a garage sale anyway) ... plus with Fun Fur... It seems to be on sale for quite a bit less everywhere I have seen it. Unfortunately for a resale point of view it just doesn't sell for $5 anymore.

But that is just my take on it.

:-)

I am a REAL cheapskate when it comes to garage sales. I am MUCH more inclined to buy bags or boxes of yarn than "per skein". I wouldn't pay more than $1 a skein for RHSS at a garage sale. I have much more often seen a bag of yarn for $2-$3, but it's usually not full skeins that are labeled. It's often partial skeins and balls of odd things (still buy them, though!).

If you're looking to get rid of it, I would put a skein price, then make a "WHOLE BOX FOR $X" and make it somewhat cheaper.

I'm also a cheapskate when it comes to yarn. $1 is all I will pay for most yarns.

The $X for a box is usually a better deal. Put same colors (all reds- all blues, etc) in boxes and see what happens.

Good luck.

Linda:manyheart

My grandfather was a "yard sale man" so he taught me a few things.

1. Try and sell it at the price you want but if it doesn't sell in the first two hours lower it.

2. Alot of it depends on were you live. Walmart sells novelty yarns (fun fur, ribbon, ect..) for $2.97-3.97 so if you've got one nearby don't count on selling a whole lot if you charge more than that.

3. Also keep in mind that with school starting soon people are out looking for a real bargin even at yard sales so be flexible.

Good Luck.

a lot of people at yard sales arnt willing to spend more than 50 cents for stuff

if its a full skein try to return it to the store...even if you dont have a reciept a lot of places will take it back or give you a gift card (i suggest walmart)

Archived