Bear Pattern

Dina

I apologize. There was an error in this pattern and it has been corrected. The head should consist of 12 rounds, instead of only 9. Big thanks to gecko99 for finding my mistake.

http://static.flickr.com/67/194892701_94cacbaef3_m.jpg

Measurement

Approx 7-1/2†tall.

In my experience, it is always best to crochet each stitch tightly when crocheting animals in the round. And, I suggest a gentle tug on the end of the yarn after each stitch.

Yarn weights and corresponding hook sizes are extremely important. In most cases, the smaller the hook the better.

I usually like to count the stitches as I crochet each round. Sometimes, it is best to mark each round with a stitch marker or small piece of yarn.

Normally, I start the first round of stitches by using an adjustable ring. If you are not familiar with it, there’s a tutorial here: http://www.crochetcabana.com/tutorials/adjustable-ring.htm (My pattern consists of sc’s instead of the dc’s indicated in the tutorial.)

Materials

Medium brown worsted weight yarn

Light brown worsted weight yarn

F hook

Polyfil

Buttons for eyes and nose are optional.

Leg (Make 2)

With medium brown yarn,

Rnd 1: 6 sc in the round. (6)

Rnd 2: 2 sc in ea st. (12)

Rnd 3: *2 sc in the next st, 1 sc in the next st* repeat around. Slip st last st in this rnd. Ch 1. (18)

Rnd 4: In the back loops only, 1 sc in ea st. Slip st last st in this rnd. Ch 1. (18)

Rnd 5: 1 sc in ea st. (18)

Rnd 6: *Sc next two sts together, 1 sc in the next st* repeat around (12)

Rnd 7-10: 1 sc in ea st. (12)

Finish off the first leg only. But, think of the first leg as leg#2 in the body instructions. Do not finish off second leg. Consider the second leg to be leg#1.

Body

Rnd 1: Both legs held together with right sides facing, 1 sc in ea of 6 sts in leg#1, 1 sc in ea of the 12 sts in leg#2, 1 sc in the remaining 6 sts in leg#1. (24)

Rnd 2: *2 sc in the next st, 1 sc in ea of the next 3 sts* repeat around. (30)

Rnd 3-8: 1 sc in ea st. (30) At this point, stuff the legs and lower body.

Rnd 9: *Sc next two sts together, 1 sc in ea of the next 13 sts* repeat. (28)

Rnd 10: *Sc next two sts together, 1 sc in ea of the next 12 sts* repeat. (26)

Rnd 11: *Sc next two sts together, 1 sc in ea of the next 11 sts* repeat. (24)

Rnd 12: *Sc next two sts together, 1 sc in ea of the next 10 sts* repeat. (22)

Rnd 13: *Sc next two sts together, 1 sc in ea of the next 9 sts* repeat. (20)

Rnd 14: 1 sc in ea st. (20)

Add stuffing.

Head

With medium brown yarn,

Chain 6.

Rnd 1: 1 sc in the second ch from the hook, 1 sc in ea of the next 3 chains, 3 sc in the next chain. (Continue around the chain.) 1 sc in ea of the next 3 chains, 2 sc in the next chain. (12)

Rnd 2: 2 sc in the first st, 1 sc in ea of the next 3 sts, 2 sc in ea of the next 3 sts, 1 sc in ea of the next 3 sts, 2 sc in ea of the next 2 sts. (18)

Rnd 3: 2 sc in the first st, 1 sc in ea of the next 5 sts, 2 sc in ea of the next 4 sts, 1 sc in ea of the next 5 sts, 2 sc in ea of the next 3 sts. (26)

Rnd 4: 1 sc in ea of the next nine sts, 2 sc in ea of the next 4 sts, 1 sc in ea of the next 9 sts, 2 sc in ea of the next 4 sts. (34)

Rnd 5-9: 1 sc in ea st. (34)

Rnd 10: *Sc next 2 sts together, 1 sc in ea of the next 5 sts, sc 2 sts together, 1 sc in ea of the next 2 sts, sc next 2 sts together, sc next 2 sts together, 1 sc in ea of the next 2 sts* repeat. (26)

Rnd 11: *1 sc in ea of the next 7 sts, sc next 2 sts together, 1 sc in ea of the next 2 sts, sc next 2 sts together* repeat. (22)

Rnd 12: *1 sc in ea of the next 8 sts, sc next 2 sts together* repeat, 1 sc in the next st. (20)

Stuff. Leave enough yarn to sew the head to the body.

Muzzle

With light brown yarn,

Ch 5.

Rnd 1: 1 sc in the second chain from the hook. 1 sc in ea of the next 2 sts, 3 sc in the next chain. (Continue around the chain.) 1 sc in ea of the next 2 sts, 2 sc in the next st. (10)

Rnd 2: 2 sc in the next st, 1 sc in ea of the next sts, 2 sc in the next st, 1 sc in the next st, 2 sc in the next st, 1 sc in ea of the next 2 sts, 2 sc in the next st, sl st in last st. (14)

Leave enough yarn to sew to the head.

Ears (Make 2)

With medium brown yarn,

Rnd 2: 2 sc in ea of the next 5 sts. Do not finish the round. (10)

Leave enough yarn to fasten ear to the head.

Arms (Make 2)

With medium brown yarn,

Rnd 2: 2 sc in ea st. (12)

Rnd 3-5:1 sc in ea st. (12)

Stuff the hand and arm a little as you go along. I use very little stuffing in the upper arm.

Rnd 6: *Sc next 2 sts together, 1 sc in ea of the next 4 sts* repeat. (10)

Rnd 7: *Sc next 2 sts together, 1 sc in ea of the next 3 sts* repeat. (8)

Rnd 8-14: 1 sc in ea st. (8)

Leave enough yarn to sew to body.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I simply LOVE your little bear. He's soooooo adorable! Thank you so much for sharing the pattern. This one is going on my to do list for sure! You did a fantastic job! Well done! :cheer :cheer :cheer

I just love this bear. I have made oodles of Sandi Marshall's bear on about.com, but I love the fact that this one is so small. It will be a very quick gift to make the next time someone has a baby.

Thanks for sharing. :cheer

Archived