Crochet and Fleece blankets

I was at our county fair the other day and saw something I thought I would like to do--wonder if any of my friends here have done this: She had a fleece baby blankie and it had a beautiful crochet edge around it. She shared with me that she poked even spaced holes around the fleece with a turkey pin, and crocheted a row of single crochet around, then did the edging. It was so neat! Has any other person done this---maybe have some more detailed tips for doing it? She says she has done fleece blankets for adults also. I think I am going to try one for my grandson Hayden.

I've crocheted around fleece before. In fact, I've started a fleece shawl that I'm crocheting around -- I'm in the process of frogging because it's ruffling too much. I'll go back to work on it when it starts to cool off a bit.

Anyway, the first row is the hardest to me. I sit with 3 implements: 1 to punch the hole (if you punch too many at a time, they close up and you have to do it again), 1 small steel hook to pull the yarn through the hole, and 1 large aluminum hook to actually make the stitches because I like large hooks. The good thing is you don't have to hem fleece. If you make your holes about 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch from the edge, the edge folds itself under and self hems as us crochet.

I can't think of anything else right now. Other questions? Ask away.

Barb

I've done this many times:

http://public.fotki.com/madebyma/crocheted_bears_/page4.html

I used a book by Leasure Arts to start off with:

http://www.maggiescrochet.com/pages/Leaflets/Leisure_Arts/LA_3485_edgings_fleece_main.htm

Now, after trying many techniques, I use a quilt cutter and pad to cut the fleece (I use a plate w/the cutter to round the corners). I use a fabric marker to mark the holes based on what they specify in the book mentioned above - cannot think of them right off top of my head. Then I use a 1/16" paper hole punch. I've tried alll kinds of punches etc and that works the best. Also, you can get those $1 fleece blankets at Wal-Mart every so often - for those I use a steel hook and thread w/the holes that are already in the fleece.

Hope that helps!

I still don't get how to put the holes in the fleece though. I don't know anything about quilt cutters...the turkey pin I understand...any other suggestions? I have a bunch of fleece that I was going to make the no sew blankets with, but if I border the fleece with crochet, that will be twice as many blankets I can send!

The quilt cutter is a round cutter (like a pizza cutter). I use that to quickly cut the blanket from the larger piece of fleece. They are not a requirement.

For the holes, I use a 1/16" paper hole punch. You can get at any scrapbook/craft store (I got mine at Michael's)

message for tiggerhale:

OMG I VIEWED YOUR PHOTOS OF YOUR WORK AND I FELL IN LOVE WITH THE MAJORITY OF YOUR PROJECTS. I WAS VIEWING IT AND TALKIN' TO MYSELF SAYING Ooo THAT'S CUTE, AND THAT'S CUTE(THE CROCHET GIFTS/FLEECE EDGINGS). THE LIL' HEART TAGS AND HEART LOLLIPOP GAVE ME AN IDEA FOR A BABY SHOWER FAVOR IDEA. EVEN THE LIL' TAG YOU MADE FOR THE BLANKETS. "HANDMADE BY" AND THE CROCHETED DECORATION. I NOW KNOW WHAT TO MAKE...THANK YOU FOR POSTING YOUR QUESTION OR ELSE I WOULDN'T FOUND YOUR PIC'S SITE.

I'D LIKE TO PM YOU IF YOU DON'T MIND, WITH MY END RESULTS OF MY SHOWER FAVORS.

THANKS,

JAYE

I did this last year with some pillow pieces that I had purchased at JoAnn's. The fleece pieces had pictures of siamese kitty on it (the face was kinda blown up) so I made a 4 patch little quilt out of it. I also poked holes, I used a SEAM RIPPER to poke the holes, and crocheted the pieces together as I went. If I would do it again I would make the edges curl under like someone said ealier in these postings. I originally thougt it would be nice to have on the sofa for those cooler nights. But my 10 year old he-man son said it was so cute he stole it from me. Now he gets to sleep with a kitty, since our family cat sleeps with mom & DAd, along with our dog. I think they only do it just to make the other one upset. Thank goodness we have a queen sized bed. And the puppy still sleeps in his kennel, otherwise daddy would have to sleep on the couch. lol

Oh wow Tigger, those are some gorgeous blankets! I have always wanted to try this, but have been hesitant...afraid! i have the leaflets for thread edgings, and for the yarn edgings on fleece. Did you use thread, or fleece? Also, where did you find this adorable blanket pattern?

http://public.fotki.com/madebyma/crocheted_bears_/mbm-a337.html

I've seen some people use their sewing machines and a wing needle (needle that's flared and makes a larger hole than regular machine needles) to poke the holes.

You put the wing needle in your machine (dont thread it!) and just slowly run the fabric thru the machine. It apparently makes nice even holes.

I might try it this weekend with some scrap fleece that I found in my scrapbox...

I have crocheted around fleece baby blankets that I have purchased like at Target or K-Mart on sale. they have a nice hem around them and I don't have to poke holes. It would be cheaper to just purchase fleece and make the holes yourself. I guess I am just lazy!

thanks for that affirmation! I had no idea how expensinve fleece was. I just knew that the blankets seemed too cheap to pass up and make nice gifts. Sometimes Target has the adult size for as low as 9.99!

OMG I VIEWED YOUR PHOTOS OF YOUR WORK AND I FELL IN LOVE WITH THE MAJORITY OF YOUR PROJECTS. I WAS VIEWING IT AND TALKIN' TO MYSELF SAYING Ooo THAT'S CUTE, AND THAT'S CUTE(THE CROCHET GIFTS/FLEECE EDGINGS). THE LIL' HEART TAGS AND HEART LOLLIPOP GAVE ME AN IDEA FOR A BABY SHOWER FAVOR IDEA. EVEN THE LIL' TAG YOU MADE FOR THE BLANKETS. "HANDMADE BY" AND THE CROCHETED DECORATION. I NOW KNOW WHAT TO MAKE...THANK YOU FOR POSTING YOUR QUESTION OR ELSE I WOULDN'T FOUND YOUR PIC'S SITE.

I'D LIKE TO PM YOU IF YOU DON'T MIND, WITH MY END RESULTS OF MY SHOWER FAVORS.

THANKS,

JAYE

Wow. Thank you! You know, I’d never thought of the heart lollipops for shower gift, but what a great idea!! I used them as Valentine’s Day favors for work and for my children’s daycare. I certainly don’t mind a PM – but perhaps others in the group would like to view as well? Maybe a post is in order J

Oh wow Tigger, those are some gorgeous blankets! I have always wanted to try this, but have been hesitant...afraid! i have the leaflets for thread edgings, and for the yarn edgings on fleece. Did you use thread, or fleece? Also, where did you find this adorable blanket pattern?

Thank you! :blush:blush:blush I believe that pattern was from Lion Brand Blankets book I got on sale at Wal-Mart. It’s this one:

http://www.purplekittyyarns.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1908

The pattern was a shell granny square and was fun to make

Fleece is EXPENSIVE! You're better off economically buying the blankets like you did. The last fleece I bought (last month) was about $8 a yard.

I quite agree – that’s why I love those little $1 baby fleece blankets at Wal-Mart – this is one:

http://public.fotki.com/madebyma/crocheted_bears_/mbm-a320.html

The pattern was from a thread book:

http://www.maggiescrochet.com/pages/Leaflets/Leisure_Arts/LA_2828_baby_shower_gifts_main.htm

Fleece is EXPENSIVE! You're better off economically buying the blankets like you did. The last fleece I bought (last month) was about $8 a yard.

I usually stock up when they are on sale for $5/yard.

also I make 2 baby blankets out of 1 yard of fabric so even at $8/yard it is $4/blanket.

• 2 months later...

Do you HAVE to hem fleece purchased on the bolt? Can you just poke the holes and run with it? I want to make one of these?

I bought some light blue fleece with yellow duckies on it. SOOOOOOOO Cute! I'm going to trim it in the yellow to match the duckies.

You can buy blankets all ready to crochet around, but it's expensive.:no

I've used an ice pick, which didn't work very well. Also a leather punch, which was better. I want to try the wide sewing needle!!! That sounds like a real possibility.

You can also blanket stitch around and then crochet off the blanket stitch edging.

And you can crochet an edging separately and then hand sew it on. This isn't as strong as crocheting it on.

I make those terry cloth towel toppers and the pattern I use says to use a size 3 thread crochet hook to poke through to attach the first row of yarn. Then you switch to an H hook. I think that process would work with the fleece blankets. Don't you? I thought fleece didn't ravel?

I already bought my fabric. It was $4.44/yd at Walmart.

Ok, maybe I'm offbase but couldn't you either machine or hand blanket stitch around the blanket and then crochet your first row using that yarn (thread, etc.) to attached to? That way even if you're doing it by hand, you're using a sharp pointed object to make the holes. Plus if you want to turn under the edges of the fleece a bit, you can do it during that stage.

Does this make sense?

Ok, maybe I'm offbase but couldn't you either machine or hand blanket stitch around the blanket and then crochet your first row using that yarn (thread, etc.) to attached to? That way even if you're doing it by hand, you're using a sharp pointed object to make the holes. Plus if you want to turn under the edges of the fleece a bit, you can do it during that stage.

Does this make sense?

I'm pretty sure that's what my aunt does. (she lives in FL, so I've never seen how she does it) She's told me how she blanket stitches around flannel and then crochets around that...I'll have to ask her if she's ever used polar fleece. (probably not. I bet FL is too warm for that)

I found some fleece blankets for about $5 at walmart. They had a stitch all ready around it and I just added some crochet to it. It was really not that great as I had no idea what I was doing, so I kept it for myself (was going to be a gift) and it was small, mostly a lapaghan.

But this sounds better. I see really nice patterened fleece. and I could make more baby blankets this way or other baby items. Oh, this could be an idea for my friends 2 daughters for lapaghans because it's cold in their tv room...

Debbi

I have done this many, many times. It is a quick and easy project. Two years ago, I ended up with a "surprise" pregnancy :P when we already had two teenagers and were in the middle of paperchasing to adopt from China. So...I ended up with two new babies at the same time. Other than a couple of crocheted afghans, all I made for them were fleece blankets with a crocheted edging. They probably have 8 or 10 each and still love them and drag them around the house.

My tips...

1. Buy the fleece when it is on sale. My blankets ended up being pretty darn cheap because I caught great sales.

2. Most of the time I only bought one yard of fleece and then would cut it into a 36" X 36" square. Made it easy to cut and measure using the triangle method.

3. I laid out the fleece on the table and used a marker and a ruler to measure and mark my holes. I then used this teeny tiny hole punch thing that I found at Hobby Lobby to punch the holes. I tried the wing needle and the leather punch, but neither worked well for me.

4. As another poster said, if you do it at the right distance from the edge, as you are crocheting, the fleece to self-hem itself.

5. I experimented with lots of different threads/yarns/hook sizes. I had great success with embroidery floss, the thicker craft threads made by DMC, crochet cotton, sock yarn, and even sport-weight yarn on a couple.

6. I joined the fiber to the fleece with a slip stitch and then did a sc in hole, ch 2, sc in next hole all the way around. And then, I would make up my edging from that point on. Some ended up very elaborate, some ended up very simple and succint.

7. I also ended up making two twin bed size for my teenage boys. They LOVE them because they are so lightweight and warm compared to their normal afghans.

Sorry - didn't mean to write a book...but it was really a fun project at the time and they went very, very quickly. It's also a great way to make a couple of last-minute baby shower gifts when you don't hqve time to crochet an entire baby blanket.

Good luck...

Archived