Vent Ahead! Stupid Hooks!!

I could just scream! I broke ANOTHER one of my plastic hooks! This is the second one! I broke one earlier this week, but I was lucky and had an aluminum one in the same size. Now tonight, I just broke another one! And of course I don't have a duplicate one in the same size! GRRRRR!!! And trust me, I don't hold the hook tight, nor do I stitch super tight either. And the worse part, this is the first time I used this particular hook!

And I was on such a roll! ARRRGGGHGHGHGHGHGH!!

:angry

Are they both the same brand? I think it's letter writing time!! They shouldn't break that easily. I don't think I've used plastic hooks, either. I almost bought some because they have pretty colors. Guess I know now, huh?

Tina

That is why I use the Boye hooks...I like the colors of the plastic...but I always have that little voice saying...you don't really want that...you know it will break...I still look at them everytime I am in that area...but that darn voice still keeps nagging me!!!:eek

:lol :lol :lol Sorry! I don't mean to be insensitive but plastic hooks break all the time! I never use them unless I'm on an airplane and even then I find myself crocheting gingerly so I don't shatter one. I think they are practically disposable. The quality is terrible and they are not cheap! They should not cost more than 50 cents a piece so that you could buy several in case of breaking.

When I first started crochetting, I bought two sets of the crystalite hooks, so I had all the sizes from D thru P....broke all the smaller ones..now I've still got the I, L, M, N, and P hooks and have replaced all the others with metal hooks...I thought I was being smart, saving money, but it actually cost me more in the long run since I had to replace them LOL!!!

:hug

Jessie

The Crystallites are good for breaking...I bought a set when they first came out. My G hook snapped apart while using it. I sent it to company and they replaced it, but I retired them to my collection...that's all they are good for. I love my Brittany hooks.

:cheer Did it break right where you hold it?

Now dont laugh but if you crochet really fast, the friction could be why the hook broke.

The combination of the warmth of your fingers and the heat generated as the thread slips over the hook could be the culprit.

:think Well it sounds a good diagnosis doesnt it?

I use the Inox hooks right now and they have a plastic handle with a shiny metal hook. I get really mad when the handles snap or when the glue gives way and the two bits part company, usually when you have something to get finished in a hurry and you cant find the glue.

My favourite hook is a large plastic which really looks like a steel hook but of course it is much lighter. It does not look like it will break in a hurry.

Have fun.

Colleen.:hug

I broke a 5 mm steel hook once, beat that! :lol

But I've also broken several plastic ones. I've become a little more careful with my choice of hook for heavy or thick projects. :)

Huh... I've never broken one!

I've seen a few -bend- a bit as I am working, but I have yet to break one! I must be doing something wrong... LOL!

That said, the smallest Crystallite I own is an L... and I wouldn't buy anything smaller than that in that brand, because they're hard plastic. The Bates plastic ones have some give to them, and that's what I have for the others, down to size G. Anything lower than G, I buy metal. I think I have G - K in metal AND plastic now...

I used to hate hate hate metal hooks, because they're so cold at first, and they slip out of the project and skitter across the floor on me... but now I am growing to appreciate them. LOL!

I only use the large Crystallites like the M, N, P, for my thick yarns or double strands of yarn. I never had one break on me.....at least not yet. For all my normal yarns, I use the aluminum hooks. If a hook should break, I recommend sending them all to the manufacturer.....if they get enough broken hooks, than maybe they will improve the sturdiness of them. Our hooks should be reliable, no matter what they are made of.

I knew it was a risk and that eventually one would break. But what made me crazy was that I broke 2 this week. Now I have been using them for almost a year with no problems, then wham! And the J hook had never been used!

But I did save my original metal hooks thank goodness! But of course I did not have a J...but hubby let me go buy one. Love that man!

I feel your pain, I broke two of my plastic hooks as well. G and H , I won't buy anymore , that's for sure. Fortunatly I have tons of others I can use, all metal and very sturdy. I don't crochet tightly either or hold my hooks tight but they broke nevertheless. My plastic knitting needles work just fine and I haven't had a problem with them. Stick with wood or metal from now on.

Wendyb532:ohdear

I don't use plastic hooks, the only one I had I gave to my neighbors daughter along with a book for kids to learn to crochet, that way there she has her own hook. She was so happy to get both and told her mother "I don't need to borrow your hooks anymore, you can have yours back":manyheart . All of my hooks are aluminum or steel, well except for my Q hook, and if that one breaks there is something definately wrong:eek :D

I've never broken a hook. I HAVE broken a plastic knitting double point (it was thin), and multiple plastic yarn needles. But never a hook.

I do worry about some of my Bates alum. hooks. The D's and E's bend a little too much for my tastes. Really, something that thin should be made from steel (I use metal yarn needles now).

I'm not big on plastic hooks in general because the yarn doesn't slide on them the same. Each stitch takes more effort and tires my hands out faster. Slows down the entire project. I can't see how wood hooks could be that much better. I broke so many sticks as a kid, I would probably smash a wood hook in minutes.

On the flip side, I know a woman with a nickel allergy. Metal is right out. She uses plastic or wood.

In 30 years of crocheting I've never broken a hook. I have plastic, steel, and aluminum - and it never occurred to me that the plastic ones might break. Hmmm, gotta think this over for a while.

Lee Ann, personally, I don't notice a whole lot of difference in the type of crochet hook (a lot of people do, though); but be careful when switching between brands, whether plastic, aluminum, or whatever. Trust me, they're never the same size, I don't care what they're labeled. (I always make a note on my patterns about which hook I'm using, size, brand, aluminum/plastic, etc., so that I'll know for future use, especially for UFOs.)

I've learned from my knitting needles that the type of needle can make a lot of difference - metal ones slip through the yarn much more quickly than plastic or wood, which "grip" the yarn a little more (some say this slows them down, others say it gives them more control - your choice).

Bev

Wow~ I've never broken a hook while crocheting.

I do use plastic (or wood) frequently when we are out camping. When the temps dip down metal ones are just too cold to work with.

Archived