Wanna see how a Jimbo hook is made?

jimbo

Ah yes the illusive G tree. They're getting harder and harder to find and a lot of them up here are charred (we have a big forest fire that's almost to a point where the ranch is threatened).

And it must be a hook whittlin thing, but shoeboxes and hook wip's seem to have this affinity.. Don't worry Roli, you'll find that shoebox one of these days and finish up that good lookin hunka oak.

Oh and Sakurasaku, you've got a beaut going there... be sure to post a picture of it in action when its done.

And Jimmie.... i'm sure you'd do fine with your Aunt's tree, but I'd be honored to carve it for you.

Keep whittlin and avoid stitches.... and don't nuke anything till it lights on fahr.

Jimbo

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I found your site quite some time ago and was intrigued enough to collect sticks from the woods behind my house in Vermont. I even brought them along on the move to Washington state. I have no idea what kind of wood they are. Hopefully by watching your posts I will be inspired to finally try this out!! I just have to find the sticks in the still unpacked garage!

I will wait to whittle until my husband is home so he can give me stitches if necessary! He would sure love that!! (He is an EM Dr., so is fully qualified for such things.)Thank you.

Boy what a plus, having a Doctor handy. For me its a roll of bailing wire (we call it "wahr" up the crick... as in Barb-wahr, you know for keeping dogies from strayin). So get those sticks out and start whittlin! And post some shots of your results.

Jimbo

• 1 month later...
Oh don't get me wrong. I love the smell of eewcaliptus. And the trees are really beautiful. But I have yet to find one that would make a good hook. Maybe i haven't been able to look long enough, but the ones i checked during our last trip to your amazing state didn't seem to be interested in becoming a hook. I think they all aspire to become Vicks Vapo Rub. Still, I'd still like to try one sometime if i ever find a good solid volunteer. Imagine... a hook that repels fleas, opens your sinus, and hooks a mean afgan all at once! What a concept. Feel a cold coming on? Sniff your hook. Got stiff joints from too many doilies? Rub your hook on the affected area!

Jimbo if I rub it on my head will it grow hair, make my brain stop swelling...or at least stop itching...I just found this post and you really made me laugh for the best time since i asked myself if I was crazy or maybe if I just have cancer. ...most just thought I was crazy.

You're welcome. Now i have a chunk of chokecherry my nephew gave me. Anyone who's ever tasted chokecherry has to know that that little bitter fruit will cure almost anything. It has to. Nothing could taste soooo bad and not have some kind of health benefits. So be watching for the anti aging, toenail fungus curing, weight loss, ko-lester-ol lowering, spelling correcting, face lifting, bust firming, hip reducing, iq increasing, etc chokecherry hook that's about to shed all its shavings that don't look like a crochet hook.

but wait, there's more.....

(QVC eat your hearts out!)

Ok there's been plenty of time for you guys to finish your hooks. Now lets see the results. And how about a shot of something you made with your hookalicious hookerific creation?

Oh wouldn't it be beyone great to have a piece made from yarn you spun yourself with a hook you made yourself and, oh the ultimate, from wool you sheared yourself?

Ok so i can't bet beyond the hook i made myself. But you guys....

Come on, show us your stuff!

• 3 months later...

Jimbo I finished my hook!!!! I know it has taken me forever and will probably bee at least a week until I post a photo!!! Its a pencil grip style(not comfy for me) So I think Ill give it for another traveling hook!!!! First we have to finish up the current hook thats somewhere in the mid west/maybe texas

I am pleased with how it turned out(after about 35 goof ups) finally I got to the apple tree at my moms place and it turned out great!

Way to go Jimmie!! Can't wait to see the hook. Now that i see this thread again, i'm wondering if Funkyreporter ever found her G tree.

Anybody else finish their hook? (Roli?)

Oh i bet olive trees would make excellent hooks!

I jut updated the tutorial to add a finishing section, and if you want to check it out... go to my blog and click on "August 06"... it should be there.

Musta got distracted and forgot to put a finish section in the How to make a Jimbo hook (in my blog... click on the August 06 archive).

So now its complete and all you folks who have your hooks done except for the finish, and have been patiently waiting since August can now finish those works of art.

Show us your finished wonders!

Jimbo

Wow, I just finished reading Jimbo's How to Make a Hook, very impressive!! I tell you, I am amazed at people who could do such fine work, as I was reading I sat here, going, oh my, I can't even HOLD a hook today, let alone do all of that SANDING...

BUT I tell you, I most certainly WOULD attempt to make one IF I had the peice of wood, where would one go in the concreat jungle for some fine twig to turn into a hook? :think

It was MOST interesting the detail that goes into it, and our Jimbo is a very god story teller!! Ironing thier underwear...lol...

Well, I did see one for BID, and I bid on it, surely not enough, or CLOSE to it, but oh, how one can DREAM of owning a Jimbo hook:c9

Jo Ann if you ask he will make you one. He made mine to order. And I will tell you its like I was right there it is the most compfy hook I own. It is a free spirit though and honeslty(hope Jimbo is reading) Most of the patterns I write come off my Jimbo!!

TY JimmieLu, I did PM him and e-mailed him also. WIth this RA of mine, I am wondering if I will be able to crochet for long......

I bought a set of Surina wood hooks off the net, and although they are nice, they are pencil thin, thus, I can not work with them, not sure what I will be doing with them yet, ROAK or putting up for trade....:hug

oooohhhh Surina wood hooks!!!!

Yummy!!!

Sorry Jimbo

You know JoAnn he has made one that sorta looks like an egg that fits into your hand. While I do not have this type myself it looks incredibly compfy!! Go to his blog in his signature to see it!!

Archived