Can you crochet RH AND LH?

Can anyone crochet from right to left AND left to right? I can't... never have been really ambidextrous. Though I wish I could... I think it would make some projects look better.

So is anyone an ambi-turner? (Little reference from Zoolander)

I am already jealous if you are! :lol

I never really thought about it I think my answer is no....I'm not sure about everyone else but when I crochet my work is comming towards me not away. I have watched others crochet a few times and thiers looks totally dif then mine.

• 1 month later...

I can't work lefty. The only thing that I can switch from from right to left is when I make friendship braclets. I have attempted to teach lefties and it's a really pain in the hind end for a hard core righty. But, some how we managed and the projects turned out.

Rosemary

I can't at this point. I'd like to learn to crochet lefty so I could get more into tapestry crochet and things involving reverse SC stitches, but I'll have to take some time out one day and do this because it does NOT come naturally!

:cheer I only do Crab Stitch (Reverse SC) from left to right but that is only one row, as an edge.

If you changed hands at the end of a row, your stitches would look quite different unless you put the hook into the work from back to front instead of front to back.

You would still have to swap your hook and yarn over so you may as well just turn. Much less trouble in the long run.

Have fun.

Colleen.:hug

PS, You do not have to crochet with the left hand to do reverse SC. Just turn the hook back, across the front of the last stitch and put it into the second to last stitch, from front to back, then complete as a normal SC. Keep doing this back across the row, skipping a stitch every now and then if the edge is getting wavy. Once you get the hang of it, it is very simple and you will want to do it on everything.

About 24 years ago I taught myself to crochet right handed, since I am right handed it made sense.

Then 4 years ago I began teaching crochet at a mid-winter program in the school district. One little girl was a lefty, and no matter how we tried she could not "see" what I was doing. So I taught myself to crochet left handed. Now when I have a lefty student, I can sit next to them and show them exactly how to do the stitches -- just like I do with the right handed kids. It has worked out great! I try to have the left handed kids sit to my left and the right handed kids sit to my right, so I don't get confused.

The reactions I get from students when they find out I can use either hand ( usually when I turn to the left handed group, rip back my work and start over with my left hand) range from amazement to relief. Last year I had 2 girls who were also learning to knit, but the teacher insisted they learn right handed. When they found out they could do crochet left handed they were very happy and picked up on it quicker than they did the knitting.

I do find I have to think harder when I use my left hand, so maybe it is good for my brain. But the kids figure if I can learn to do it with my "off" hand they should be able to do it with their dominant hand.

Kitty

I can't do anything with my right hand except cut with scissors! LOL, so my answer is no!

Last year I had 2 girls who were also learning to knit, but the teacher insisted they learn right handed. Kitty

That is soooooo wrong. Coming from someone that is very left dominant...I can't imagine trying to learn right handed. I don't care what anyone says....knitting and crocheting are NOT a 2 handed craft.

I am left handed, but purposely was taught to crochet right handed as left handed was supposedly so wrong back then. Those nuns - didn't like me writing left handed either - "she will always have a dirty hand" they told my mother as they slapped me with the rule. Mom put an end to that real quick.

I do almost everything right handed except write and hold a fork - my friends think that is weird. Oh well, I can crochet and they can't lol!

I am right handed. I recently made myself crochet a baby blanket; for my sister to give away;(click the link below for a picture) and crocheted it both right and left handed. the second knuckle on the middle finger of my left hand became swollen and hurt badly. I do like the idea of being able to crochet from both directions though, so I doubt that a swollen finger will be much of a deterent, it will only slow me down some.

I like the way the fabric comes out, sort of with a front and back sided texture.

I have been trying to teach myself lefthanded I do alot of things lefty as my oldest son is a southpaw...and I try to make things easier for him. He loves making chains. Was differnt but we are both practicing.

Yes, I crochet both ways, and I write both ways and I quilt both ways.....I can use both hands equally well though I do most things right handed style because the tools are made for the right handed world, like scissors, potato peelers, even knives ( serrated edge is only on one side )I think that as a child I was actually left handed and was forced to be right handed or I'm ambidexterous???? I just know I've always been this way

I can ch, and sc lefty, at least, long enough to teach in a class. I've never tried to crochet anything lefty-wise. I can see where sometimes it would come in handy...maybe that's why they invented tunisan or afghan crocheting ;)

Archived