can you croceht in the dark?

I was trying to crochet tonight in my room, watching tv like normal, except the kids are in there b/c that's where the AC is, and it's over 100 deg in their room, so I had to have the lamp off to get them to crash out. I was able to work to the light of the TV, but i think only b/c i am working on a totally fpdc project, so I could feel the stitches and not have to see the 2 loops... and I was still going like 1/2 or 1/4 speed...

and i was wondering.... can anyone here crochet in the dark?

nope, have definitely tried though... my family hates it when I crochet because they see it as a big waste of money and time so I've tried numerous times to crochet in the dark while they are sleeping (I share a room with my sisters). it's really hard and I haven't succeeded yet.

I just tried last night. We were at an outdoor concert and it was getting darker and darker. I did a bit just by feel, but it really wasn't relaxing so I gave up.

Joan

No, I always like to keep an eye on things, count up stitches....make sure everything is how it should be...OR I am afraid I will have to frog a whole big project for a mistake near the beginning!!!:eek :eek

my family hates it when I crochet

Ankey...my heart breaks for you!36_1_44.gif

I've done it, though I certainly prefer not to.:lol I've done it by the light of the TV and once in total darkness when I was pretending I wasn't home;) and didn't want to turn on a light and once in the moonlight. It was a full moon on a really nice summer night and the moon was so bright I thought it would work but turns out it wasn't as bright as I thought.:D If I had been using glow in the dark yarn . . .

i just tried this the other night in an attempt to not wake up the b/f. If I'm watching a dvd or program on tv then no I can't because of the lighting changes in shows. But if I turn on the dvd player without a dvd in it, it puts out a very bright screen and I can use that to crochet by i finished 3 rows of my round ripple like this the other night. Although I do prefer to be in a nice comfy chair with proper lighting this is good for if I can't sleep I guess

:cheer Several years ago, I crocheted the front of a cardigan, in the car, at night, with only the occasional headlight to grab a look at what I was doing.

I figured that if I needed to unravel it the next day, it would only be the same as doing nothing.

As it was, I did not make any mistakes, even the armhole shaping was right.

It was a cardigan I had made many times so I was very familiar with it.

I am sure I would not be able to do the same thing now, but, I have done a bit of crochet in my sleep.

You know how sometines you think you need to get something finished so you sit up late, crocheting away and next thing you know you are waking up and the hands are still working.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

I can crochet granny squares in the dark. Sometimes I fall asleep crocheting and wake up to find that I have continued on in my semi awake state only to mess up the whole row/round that I was working on. Yikes!

I've crocheted by campfire-pretty darn dark! I could hold the work up and see the holes, but couldn't really make out the stitches. I'd have to say it was still relaxing, I was using a very basic pattern.

:yes YES, I can crochet (and knit) in the dark! Now this is for granny squares and other projects that are familiar to me, not projects where you are increasing and decreasing a lot! I learned to make granny squares first and I often sat up late in the night working on my afghan, only having a dim light from the street light coming into the bedroom I slept in. That light burned out not long after I learned to crochet, so I found myself continuing to crochet, only in the dark, counting stitches to make sure I was on target! Now I can chat, watch t.v., read e-mail, read C'Ville posts, etc. without looking and I often challenge those I teach to do the same! Long answer for a short question! :hook

I don't know why... but somehow, konwing that the crochet dude can't do it without causing himself bodily harm, makes me feel soooooooooo much better :rofl I guess I've always thought he could do ANYTHING... nice to know that even Crochet Dude The Great has limitations.... :lol

and to lavendarbear I'm :nworthy , I mean I guess i did ok, but if the tv was off... i'd a been up a stitch with no where to put my hook

I could crochet in the dark when I was 8 through 10 years old. Then I stopped crocheting for about two years and when I picked up the hook again, I couldn't get used to the idea of not seeing what I'm doing. Which makes me feel awful :( considering my DH is completely blind and does EVERYTHING obviously, without seeing what he's doing. Just don't tell him I'm that insecure!:D

I have eczema...and the latest fun addition to it is that it has decided to flourish around my lips...and it's so sensitive that I can't use cortozone creme like I usually do to help stop the itchies...only plain original chapstick helps keep the skin loose and making sure that I drink 3-4 L of water a day to keep everything super-hydrated help....because of this, I have found myself awake at absolutely evil hours of the night doing my darnedest to not rub my face off....generally, if the itchy fit is really bad, I will leave the bedroom and go sit on the couch in the living room, so as not to disturb my DH with my scratching and mumbled curses....and I sit in the dark, because if there is a light on, my kids will think it's time to get up and will come and join me and then never go back to sleep...

A week ago I had the bright idea that if I could just keep my hands occupied, I wouldn't interrupt what I was doing to scratch....and my current crochet project (a star-burst ripple baby blanket in 2 colors for a Yahoo group member buddy of mine who is expecting in Sept.) was sitting right there....so I picked it up...the only light in the room was from a street light a few doors down outside, and that was filtered through our blinds....but I managed to work 10 rows, changing colors when I needed to, joining with slst into the beginning ch, all of it....and looking at the now finished blanket, I can't tell which rows I did in the dark and which ones were done in regular lighting....

So I guess, yeah, I can crochet in the dark LOL!!! And now I've got something to keep my hands busy so I can hopefully get the eczema to help up and stop disrupting my sleep!!!:lol

Jessie

I don't really crochet in the dark- but I do crochet in bed with a book light while watching TV. The kids or the hubby are usually asleep in the same room and so I cannot turn on a lamp. Instead of going through batteries like crazy for this book light I went to Radio Shack and invested in a power cord and extra bulbs so I'll be able to use my booklight for a good long time. I'm mostly working on granny square type of stuff now so it's easy to crochet this way. I have a hearing impairment and need to use the close captioning on the tv so I find that I am looking at the tv more than I am at my crochet anyway.

Archived