crochetted sweaters for men?

I've been doing lots of searching for crochet online lately (that's how I found you all!) and I've noticed a real lack of sweater patterns for men.. I think I found one or two.. and neither of them really jummped at me and said "Make This!". There seem to be TONS for women and for knitting especially.

Do men not wear crochetted sweaters??

Midnight, in the past I've used a woman's sweater pattern that came in larger sizes. Many women's patterns are quite unisex in style. :)

Roli is correct.. in fact I remember there was an article I ran across in one of the many crochet magazines I have lying around.. about how to take a pattern shown for a female and how to alter it (only slightly) to suit a man.

I wish I remembered which magazine it was in.

Although I've found a few patterns I've either made for my DH or am planning on making for DH, usually I just create my own for him...and bless the man, he wears them all the time. I usually just take one of his sweaters to use as a template for sizing and then just pull out my stitching encyclopedia and have fun...

I've been doing lots of searching for crochet online lately (that's how I found you all!) and I've noticed a real lack of sweater patterns for men.. I think I found one or two.. and neither of them really jummped at me and said "Make This!". There seem to be TONS for women and for knitting especially.

Do men not wear crochetted sweaters??

My buddy Peter (who founded the Men Who Crochet yahoo group) just self-published a men's sweater pattern that is pretty neat. If you want to see it click here:

Jacob's Sweater by Peter Franzi

:bounce

Funny you wrote this because this past Monday I was searching for a Men's sweater pattern and couldn't find one I liked. I was going to ask around here about it but alas, time got away.

I'm not experienced enough to take a women's sweater and adjust it for a man. If it's not written down for me to follow, well, then it doesn't happen. :blush

Finding patterns specificly for men can be a bit challenging for crochet. (But then again, depeding on your sence of style, it can be hard to find women's sweater patterns. ) I have found that many of the "womens" patterns can be made larger for man, assuming that the sweaters don't have a lot of extra shapeing for hips and such. The sweater I most recently made for my husband, I used a pattern that was modeled on a women, but I changed the color and the neckline (it was a tutleneck, and he wanted a crew neck). It turned out great.

Men are basically rectangles :lol so the modular style of sweater would work well. Draw two rectangles, one for the front and one for the back. Cut out a rectangle for the neck. Add two rectangles for sleeves. If you want the sleeves to taper at the wrist, start with a large hook and keep decreasing hook size as you get to the wrist. Add cuffs and a crew neck and voila! you have a man's sweater. :D

Crochet garden has some gorgeous manly Aran sweater patterns (and scarves and hats and a free hat pattern!)

Unless I just overlooked them I couldn't find any sweater patterns. :think

The Aug 2006 Knit 'N Style has a men's knit sweater pattern that has been converted to crochet. If you follow the link, it's the gray one on the site. I don't know if that makes it worth it for you to buy or not. I don't knit but I bought it anyway because my dh liked it.

I have a Leisure Arts book called "Seasons of Love Sweaters for the Family." It has several really nice looking sweaters for men, including an aran pullover, a Reindeer Pullover, a really nice looking Houndstooth pullover, and more. And it also has ladies and kids sweaters. The designs are by Melissa Leapman, and it's definitely worth taking a look at if you can find it in the stores near you.

I see it for a good price on Ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Seasons-of-Love-Sweaters-for-the-Family-Crochet-NEW_W0QQitemZ4578326375QQihZ002QQcategoryZ378QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Archived