What is your "finish off" method?

I have taught myself mostly from books, and from time to time I find a finishing off method that I hadn't seen before. I am not particularly fond of my results when I finish off using the method I have now, so I was wondering if there are more methods out there still?

So, you're either at the end of a row, or you've just slip-stitched into the first stitch of the round, and now the pattern says to "finish off".....what do YOU do?

I chain one more, cut my thread, then pull the loop until the end of my thread ("undo" the loop") comes out. Then I snug it down.

It leaves a lump, but it usually gets covered by the next row or the border.

So, what about you?

Well, when I learned to crochet I was told not to make knots. I did that until a particular 3 strand afghan began unravelling. I depressed me because it looked awesome and I had invested in so much yarn that I drove around to different stores to find the right shades. After that I began making little knots at every end or color change. They haven't been affecting my work adversely so I see no reason not to.

Basically You get to the end of the row/color/edge and after making the final pattern stitch I make an additional chain. I cutthe yarn leaving about 3 or 4 inches. I use the hook to feed the yarn back through the last chain in such a way as to make a knot (This is one of those things I can't describe right unless I'm actually doing it as I describe it). I pull that tight and tuck in the tail or stitch over it with a new row/border.

I agree with everyone except I don't add a chain stitch at the end. I cut the yarn (leaving at least six inches) and pull it through the loop of the last stitch and pull tight. Then I thread the yarn onto a large needle and weave it in, going in various directions so it won't unravel if it's pulled in one direction. Does that make sense?

I agree with everyone except I don't add a chain stitch at the end. I cut the yarn (leaving at least six inches) and pull it through the loop of the last stitch and pull tight. Then I thread the yarn onto a large needle and weave it in, going in various directions so it won't unravel if it's pulled in one direction. Does that make sense?

Ditto! You explained that very clearly. That's exactly what I do.

Nicole

I finish the same as Birdlady . . . but I'm posting so I can add a tip. Krystal16's comment about her tapestry needle reminded me.

I put one metal tapestry needle and one plastic yarn needle in a pill bottle. I have several of these needle bottles and just throw one in each project that I'm working on. No need to distinguish between yarn or thread projects as each bottle can handle either.

Hope someone can use this idea!!

I finish the same as Birdlady . . . but I'm posting so I can add a tip. Krystal16's comment about her tapestry needle reminded me.

I put one metal tapestry needle and one plastic yarn needle in a pill bottle. I have several of these needle bottles and just throw one in each project that I'm working on. No need to distinguish between yarn or thread projects as each bottle can handle either.

Hope someone can use this idea!!

I keep an old metal band-aid box (don't think they make them anymore) with needles, small folding scissors, stitch markers, etc. I just keep it in my crochet tote bag so I always have them.

Ellie 13 :yes

Archived