Bullion Stitch

lunchbox

Question

7 answers to this question

Hi lunchbox

I've always had trouble with the bullion stitch too. I have been resorting to pulling the hook through each loop individually, but wasn't happy with the way the finished stitch looked. After reading Cuddlefish's method and experimenting a bit this afternoon, here's an easy way I've found that is working better for me than anything else so far. You will need a much smaller hook as a helper -- at least 1.5mm-2mm smaller, though not so small that it splits or can't hook your yarn. My main hook was a 4mm/G and my helper a 2mm/B.

1. When you've done the required number of yarn-overs, slide them and the stitch on your hook down to the flat finger-rest part of the hook. This evens them out and enlarges them (which will be very important later on!) Then slide back down to the working end, being careful not to pull tight again.

2. Insert hook into next stitch, yo and pull through, making the loop about the same size as the yo's on the hook.

3. Now, while pinching the base of the stitches on hook with your "yarn" hand, carefully pull your hook from the front out of the stitches, so they slide off the non-hook end. Pick up your small helper hook and push it through the stitches.

4. Still keeping the "pinch" with your yarn hand, pull the first stitch on hook through the rest. You may have to wiggle the hook or swivel it a bit to get through individual loops, but you should be able to pull it all the way through the coil.

5. Now I pretty up the coil a little :) Pull out the loop on hook a bit, so it won't undo, then drop it. Point the hook downwards towards your work and push it gently through the coils on the bullion stitch you've just made; when you've picked them all up, move your hook up and down in a ramming kind of motion a few times, then remove it. This evens out the loops and gives the coil a nice round 3-D look.

6. Still using the smaller hook, pick up the dropped stitch loop and adjust size, then make the ch-1 that locks the bullion in position, being careful not to pull the long thread at the side too tight. Now switch back to your normal size hook and continue :)

I hope I haven't made this sound too complicated with all these steps -- it's really very easy, I was just trying to be clear! Do give it a try and see if it helps.

Smiles,

Boy, that does sound like a lot of work for just one stitch. I was thinking about making a tapestry bag using one of the bullion stitch square patterns. This doesn't sound like a quick project, though. Still, I'm going to give it a try. Thanks for the tips. I've also read that there is a hook made specifically for the bullion stitch that has a straight shaft, no widening. I wonder if that would really make much of a difference.

Everyone has their own way that is easiest for them. Your best bet is to practice a swatch and really get hang of it before starting your pattern. Would love to see a pic of your first finished project using this stitch

Well, I've been practising and I can now make the stitch and pull through all the loops at once every time! :yay:cheer

The two changes that made all the difference for me were:

• Switching to a Bates-style inline hook -- the head was much smaller than on the hook I'd been using;
  • Not pinching but rolling the loops (see below).

All the instructions I'd read had said to pinch the coiled loops at the base, but I found that just seemed to make them tighter and even harder to get the hook through. What I mean by "rolling" is: push the loops together, then pin them against the stem of the hook with the index finger of your hook hand. With the same finger, still pressing them against the hook, make a pushing, rolling motion towards you.

This causes the loops to gape at the side enough to get the hook head through. If the hook gets stuck at any particular point, just concentrate on the loops there and keep rolling and pushing towards you, and you should be able to ease your hook through.

I also still like to push a smaller hook through the coils of the finished stitch and swizz it up and down a few times; I find it evens out the stitch and gives it a great 3-D look.

lhasaapsolady is right that everyone has their own favourite way, but I hope this might help someone else who's struggling!

Smiles,

I love stitching. I've been stitching since I was 12. That's why I already use an eyeglasses now. I've been stitching and stitching and I haven't put it in a frame. I just gave it to my friends.

cutie_tech123

Everyone knows the value of the US Dollar is going down - the only thing that keeps its value is metals - In the early 1900's and ounce of Gold bought a real nice suit - Gold then was around $20 an ounce. Today that same Ounce of Gold Will buy a real nice suit but that $20 would maybe get you a nice tie.

To fight off inflation everyone should be purchasing Gold and Silver in some form - Gold Coins - Silver Coins or bullion / bars

The best way to start is to start out with a simple program called Silver Snowball - You can visit my site, join and start your collection today. http://www.silversnowball.com/27

:yay

Archived