Interweave crochet subscription

Karen C.

I received this response as well but I'm wondering if that means that if we sent in the subscription card and are on the list will we get the next issue in the mail? Or are we just on an "interested" list. Are we actually subscribed or not? It's not really clear to me.

I wrote to Debbie upon seeing the response that y'all got, expressing my confusion and frustration over what that card really meant. She forwarded my email to the publisher, and this is the response I got last week. (Notice that she got my name wrong!)

Natalie,

Thanks for taking time to reply about our test Interweave Crochet subscription card inside of Interweave Knits magazine; there’s also one in the current issue of Interweave Crochet. While a test like this is common practice in the magazine world, I totally understand why you would question the practice. In many areas, we have ways of garnering market interest in a special interest publication. We have received a lot of excitement about the possibility of Interweave Crochet going to frequency and there are many ardent supporters (being a crocheter myself, I crave a good magazine). And as you are aware, while many yarn shops carry standing orders of knitting magazines and we are able to track overall general market interest from that venue, the crochet world doesn’t operate the same way. Many people have to rely upon purchasing the magazine at the newsstand, and the way the newsstand operates is very different than a LYS. I’ll certainly take your comment about how we can do better in the future so as not to mislead the reader to heart. And at the same time, we need to know there are many crocheters out there who would subscribe to Interweave Crochet. If you have time, we have an online survey that’s mentioned in the current issue. It’s another way we can make a determination in the overall market interest.

Marilyn Murphy

President

970-613-4667 direct line

970-613-4610 fax

MarilynM@Interweave.com

www.interweave.com

So, despite the fact that the card said nothing about it being a "test" for interested subscribers, that's just what it was. Cheap market research. Those of us who returned the card have been placed on a list to be notified (and presumably sent an invoice) should the powers that be decide to offer a subscription. Until then, we should continue purchasing the magazine on the newstands. :(:emptymail:kick

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish I had another one of those cards to fax to her, to show her that it was over the top in the misleading category. And I'm pretty sure there was not one in the current issue of Crochet, because don't y'all think we'd have noticed that?!

• 2 months later...

"And as you are aware, while many yarn shops carry standing orders of knitting magazines and we are able to track overall general market interest from that venue, the crochet world doesn’t operate the same way."

I am coming to this discussion very late, but here goes...

Why can't the crochet world operate the same as knitting world? I get so incredibly frustrated when I go to the yarn store or bookstore, and I see so many great books full of gorgeous knits, but hardly any crochet patterns. One scarf book (I forget the name of it) boasted "knit and crochet" on the cover, yet it contained only two gratuitous and very predictable (and boring) crochet patterns!

I guess we all need to convince our yarn stores to start carrying a better selection of crochet magazines and patterns so that our voice is heard and publishers like Interweave don't need to resort to such sneaky tactics to feel the market out. Time and again I read that there are more people who crochet than knit, yet you would never know it when your out their shopping!

my DH had sent out that card as my birthday gift and he alerted me a few days back that his credit card hadnt been charged and he didnt receive any bill/invoice. so basically for me i got no birthday present because they mislead that as a subscription not a "we are just wondering" card

hmmm i have the latest issue of interweave crochet and all the cards said interweave knitting... ungh >.<

good to know that it's now going to be a regularly printed mag b/c i love it so much!

now to actually make something from it lol

That's really annoying, I thought about filling out that card and forgot to, so they didn't get my response because I went onto the website and tried subscribing there but they don't have anything, argh! :irk

• 2 weeks later...

I'm late to this thread but I justed wanted to add this bit of information: I purchased the Fall 2006 "Interweave Crochet" last week and the subscription card was in this issue! I intended to send it in but forgot. Now, after finding out what the publisher has done, I'm tempted to boycott them and stop buying the magazine completely (:angry)!

Market research I understand - but this little trick seems more like fraud (:thumbdown)! And the card is completely misleading (:yuck) - there is nothing on it to remotely suggest that you are not requesting a real subscription! Boo hiss to the publisher and anyone else 'there' who thought this was a good idea (:grumpy:irk) !!

• 3 weeks later...

Everyone -

I had signed off for today (:blush) but I read this and just had to log on again to tell: Interweave Crochet IS going to be available via subscription 4X a year starting with the Fall 2007 edition (:cheer:cheer:clap:clap)!! And Kim Werker, the editor of Crochetme.com is going to be the new editor (:cheer:cheer:clap:clap)!! This is great news for all of us who love to crochet (:manyheart:c9)!!

To Interweave Press: "Thanks (and "About Time!")

To Kim: "Congratulations!"

I wish I had another one of those cards to fax to her, to show her that it was over the top in the misleading category. And I'm pretty sure there was not one in the current issue of Crochet, because don't y'all think we'd have noticed that?!

I have one here if you need a copy. I saved mine because I, like the rest of you, was interested in receiving a subscription. I had intended to put it on my wish list for Christmas but I forgot. Glad I didn't! I intend to subscribe when it's truly available because I'm in the industry, but I find it VERY MISLEADING to tell people not to send money right now, but fill out the card and send it in right away.

I will say this much though, I've emailed Interweave in the past about wording on their crochet section of their website and I saw action taken as a result. If enough of you say something, I'm sure the message would get through.

I just read kim's newsletter from crochetme.

Me too, I'm glad, I'm not necessarily the most fond of her pop culture-ish tone (and I'm not quite sure I'm saying exactly what I mean) around the crochetme website, but I do really like her writing style for a more serious/academic publication. I think she has a smart way of getting information across, and I like that she's as into the history and seriousness of the craft of crochet as she is.

I dunno, I'm tired, maybe I'll get better at saying what I mean tomorrow, but yeah, YAY, I'm glad she's the editor, I can't wait to read it! and I'm definitely getting a subscription.

I'll be interested in seeing where the publication goes once she is in control. Her vibe is very different than what Interweave is currently putting out. I'm also excited to see the other stuff she mentioned in her post (the Crochet Me book and site re-design..again!) I wonder what that all entails.

:c9 I just read kim's newsletter from crochetme. Oh the torture! We have to wait until fall of 2007. I'm saving up my pennies for sure.

According to the press release, there will be a Interweave Crochet spring 2007 mag.

But if you meant that you're saving up your pennies for a subscription that doesn't start until fall 2007, you're right on target and excuse me for interrupting. ;)

I'm psyched to hear about this news. I enjoy Crochetme. Kim Werker will be a great editor for the new mag. She's got the right take on crochet and has a good eye for projects. I've liked a greater percentage of the projects she's posted on Crochetme than the average crochet magazine I see. I just hope that Crochetme will be able to go on as it has been once she is putting her energies into Interweave Crochet.

Yes, I was wondering the same thing. How will she be able to do both. The only conclusion I came up with was that she is really an alien robot.

j/k! All kiddding aside, I don't envy her workload, but I do envy her new job title. If that was me, I don't think I could have contained that info for many months. I'd be bouncing off the rafters!!

I did receive the press release and on one hand I am glad that Interweave Crochet will become a periodical magazine but personally I am interested to see what direction the magazine will be going. I have read Kim Werker articles and I can't say I'm a fan of hers, I'm sure she is a delightful, wonderful, person and of course Big Congrats are in order here.

Eva

• 2 weeks later...

Archived