Ministry Challenge Sqs needed PHOTO ADDED POST 185

Jimmie Lu

As many of you know my husband and I take teams into Mexico to build houses and do mission work. I try to take as many gahns with me when I go (the more colorful the better)

For the month of aug. I am making 6 in sqs. I have a goal to make 200 in mind. here is the challenge

Make more than me to donate for my cause and I will send you a very nice gift. Hopefully some of you will help me on my quest and set a goal and mail them to me the first week of sept. I will not count any sqs until Aug. 1st.

Please consider helping me out and remember if you do more you get a nice prize.

6 in any color but remember NO WOOL. Granny's are great and colors dont matter because The more colorful the more they are desired.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, 200 6" squares... This calls for a trip to the store! I don't know about you guys, but doing the math... I can make 14 traditional grannies from one 7 oz ball of Red Heart Super Saver. This means I'd need... 15 balls of yarn. Ah yes... Definately calls for a trip to the store... :) Oh! And shall we all post how many we've done, to encourage eachother? Just wondering.

Victoria

I am working on squares anyway, with the newbie group, so count me in. I may not "win" anything, but I'd be helping my crochet along, and also helping out.

Yes starting tomorrow please post your totals thats great motivation to everyone. I figured if I do 7 sqs a day that will give me over 200 sqs by the end of this fun little challange. The true winners are the recipiants of the gahns truely. and we'll all have a good feeling when we see how many gahns I can squeeze out of these sqs. lol

Thanks everyone and remember we officially start tomorrow.

Woo hoo! It's Aug. 1st.!! Granted, it's 1:33 AM, but hey, I'm excited! :) Hi to all you night owl crochetters doing this challenge too!

Quick question though... Do you need sport weight (baby blankets) squares too? I'm making worsted weight now, but I have a lot of sport weight baby that I could make up too. Just wondering! :)

Victoria

I don't think i can more than 200 or even 200 this month.... but I can make some, and send them in... so you want them all sent in at once at the end of the month?

All right! I cant stand it! I've gotta join in! i dont know if i can make the 200 in a month, but will definitely try! I am finding that since i joined this group all i can think about is what to crochet next, i dont want to go to work since i cant do it there, and i dont want to clean up the house i want to stitch! I think i need therapy!

Ok ladies new twist. Honestly I did think Id get one or 2 to bite at a challange but there are more than that now so how about I sweeten the pot. For every participant Ill send you a small token of my appreciation and for every 100 sqs sent a gift. That way everyone is sure to get something right? maybe itll be yarn or something handmade and for anyone who beats my total will get the prize I origannally stated.

Yes you can send them all at once the first week of sept. unless it is more feesable to send a few a week. I will keep track of who is sending what.

Today in PA it was so stinkin hot that there was not much else to do but crochet in the AC so far today I have 19 sqs finished. I am averaging about 4 and hour today. and night time is when I really like to pump out the sqs.

Well, it must be divine intervention that led me to this thread today. I saw it and thought, maybe I can do this. Then Hubby turned up with a bag of FREE yarn he got from someone on craigslist. I may not make it to 100 or even 200, but I do feel the need to make some squares and send them your way. I have nothing to lose and the yarn was fah-ree.

he he he, I found a box that I hadn't unpacked yet.... guess what was in it... 86 6" squares, and a bunch of oddly shaped ones.... so I'm up to 86 :lol is that cheating? anyway, I'll definitely be able to send in 100 now, all i have to do is make 14 =) but I'll shoot for higher for ya :yes

I've made about 15 today. My baby eats a lot, and so I crochet while he's eating (I breastfeed him). Sometimes he seems annoyed by the yarn tickling his face, but other than that, he is supportive of my craft lol. :) Everyone is doing really great! Keep up the good crochetting!

Victoria

Hey, just out of curiosity, how does everyone make the squares? I mean, I make traditional ones, 5 rows, sometimes with an I and sometimes with a J hook, depending on the yarn, to make it come out to 6". I was just wondering. :) Leaving now, to crochet!!!

Victoria

Archived