Christmas presents?

Hi everyone! I was wondering... I know it's a little while before Christmas, but knowing me, it might take me a while to get all the gifts together. Besides, we are going home for Thanksgiving instead of Christmas, since my hubby can't get off work at Christmas. Anyway...

What do you make for a family who all crochet/knit? My mother taught my two sisters and me to crochet/knit, and this year, we're trying to keep costs down, and only make things for eachother. We're all adults, and want to get away from spending so much on gifts, and more on visiting etc. Anyway...

Any ideas? There's my Mom, who is the master crochetter... My sister, who is 19, in college... My other sister who graduated from college about a year ago, and is 23... My father who doesn't crochet, but needs something... Anyway, I thought maybe purses for my sisters, and ??? for my Mom? I'm an afghan crochetter, and I haven't done much with other things, so I'm pretty much at a loss. I would consider myself at least an intermediate though as far as reading patterns and figuring them out. Maybe this could help others get ideas too? Sigh... Oh! My 19 year old sister made everyone scarves last year, and it doesn't really get hot enough (they live in North Alabama) for hats, and I think everyone has one anyway. Oh! And I do not sew, so if anyone knows of a purse pattern where you don't have to sew the lining, that would be great. I'm asking a lot, I know, but I know there is someone out there who can help, right?? :)

Thank you in advance!

Victoria:manyheart

They might merge it. My opinion is this is different since you're asking for help/advice. ;)

As for a purse, do you have the Happy Hooker Crochet book? It has the best purse that actually doesn't call for lining. However all of that made one or some, line it. If you choose to line it, it's really easy. Especially if you do it before adding the flap handles.

Also the book has some other things you might try for gifts. If you don't have it, I recommend getting it. You could probably gift your whole family from that book alone. :)

:) Hi Victoria!

Instead of crocheting items...gather all your favorite patterns...copy them (consider using the fancy paper)...if possible, take pictures of the projects...buy binders (one for each person)...maybe crochet a cover for them...and make a sort-of scrap book to give to each person. (Check the sales for going-back-to-school for the binders.)

Or...you could ask for patterns and pictures of farvorite projects from everyone and make a sort-of scrap book for everyone.

NOW...for your dad...and maybe any other men on the list, too... how about having all the crocheters crochet a square or two and put them all together to make an afghan for your dad...and the other men. Give guidelines for the size...color...shape...etc.

Maggie:manyheart

Everyone can use a tote bag......even you make one to use for crochet projects. Crocheted bookmarks, crocheted jewelry, lightweight shawls for those chilly nights, cell phone bags.....etc. There are oodles of things that you could make. Try Crochet Pattern Central and browse around the patterns there......I'm sure you will find a few good ideas. Best wishes!

http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/directory.php

Daisy.

How about jewelry and a jewelry pouch for the ladies?

There are a lot of really neat free crocheted jewelry patterns on the web, and I've seen a couple of crocheted jewelry pouch patterns too. (I think the Crochet-Dude has one)

Here are a few I had bookmarked:

bracelets:

http://www.michaels.com/art/online/projectsheet?pid=e03118

http://www.michaels.com/art/online/projectsheet?pid=b0099

earrings:

http://www.nezumiworld.com/crochet_060.htm

http://www.crochetmagazine.com/free_patterns/pdfs/fp_0407_bead_earrings.pdf

I am currently trying to make something sort of like this necklace:

http://www.interweavecrochet.com/projects/Necklace_in_Wire.pdf

I am just using very fine silver wire and beads that I had left from other projects. I put 20 beads on the wire and then just chained 3, moved a bead up, chained 3 again, etc. I plan to do several chains like that with different beads, twist them together loosely and add a clasp. I'm not sure how it will turn out, but so far it looks pretty good. My 17 year old daughter likes it a lot, so that must mean its not too bad! The hardest part is getting the chains to look even, because the wire twists easily and you can't really take iit apart and expect the wire to look good when you use it a second time.

Sorry I don't have any great ideas for men. The idea of an afghan made by everyone is really neat though. Wish my sisters crocheted!

I made a "nap pillow" for my dad since he likes to take naps. I made the front with crocheted fabric and the back with regular fabric. That way he can sleep on the regular fabric and turn it over when he's done.

I think a shawl would be a nice gift for any of the ladies.

OK, ive had a think about this and so far im going to crochet... a bag for my mum and sister, probably something neutral as they are picky. Im going to finish the jolly roger sweater for my bf, a black mohair loveknot shawl for his mum, a pink guitar strap for her bf, and possible one in a different colour for our flatmate. Maybe one of those things that go around the bottom of the christmas tree? for my mum too, and i saw a pattern for elf shoes so i think everyone will have some of those lol. Il also make some little bits and pieces for friends and maybe make some other bits to sell in case my auntie has a craft stall this Christmas.

Il also be making jewellery for a lot of people too :)

Thats everyone i think :)

And this christmas, il be asking Santa for yarn :)

Ah... I love the ideas! I like the square idea for my father. One sister knits and the other sister, mom, and I crochet, so it could look really neat! :) I just e-mailed them to see if they want to do that. Thank you for all the posts and the links! :)

Victoria

Archived