Questions about entering Fairs

Hola Everyone,

I started crocheting in February and love it, love it! I am thinking about entering our Annual Fair. I have been inspired by all the ladies entering on this site!:cheer I just got the Exhibit Catalogue in the mail and I noticed that regular afghans are judged using the Danish System and everything else including Baby Afghans are judged using the American System. Can anyone tell me what the difference is? :think Also, I'm nervous about doing this, so I could use any advice anyone has to offer. I'd really appreciate a few pointers! :) Thanks.

Esmeralda

Hi, I am not sure of the different systems, but your exhibitors catalog should have a phone number to call. Call and ask for the person in charge and ask them.

Good luck! I have entered for years and love it! It is always a surprise as to what the judges like each year. Generally, the more unusual the better.

One year I got a best in show for an afghan I wasn't going to enter because it was only 4 DC across each strip and then each strip was woven, and then you crocheted around it! I talked to one of the judges after the fair and she said that it was because no one had ever seen anything like it!

Last year, I was floored when a granny square afghan won a prize and when I picked up my stuff after the fair, I asked and they said it was because of the border on it and then showed me. It was definitely unusual, I couldn't even begin to describe it, only something like woven and twisted!

So good luck and just enjoy the suspense/anticipation and just plain fun! Also, now is the time to start planning for NEXT year!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One more question, maybe someone can answer... Do you wash your items before entering them into the fair? For instance, I am manking a round ripple baby afghan to enter. Should I wash or just enter it without?:think

Esmeralda

Sorry, but I don't know the answer to your first question....but for your second question....I didn't wash any of my items that I entered...but that is just me.

Archived