"Off to Kindergarten" Dress

MrsD

It's over a month till school starts, but my daughter is ready to go. She chose the fabric for the bottom and fuschia Microspun for the top. The fancy hem is thanks to my very thoughtful dh who surprised me with an embroidery sewing machine for my birthday last year. Stay tuned for the "Off to Fifth Grade" dress coming soon!

Gabriella.jpg

GabriellaBack.jpg

GabriellaHem.jpg

Thank you! I made the top up as I went along (it's a cluster stitch that frankly did not lend itself very well to increasing and decreasing), so there's no pattern.

Ok, that's cool. How then did you fit those big buttons? Did they just happen to fit into the space between the cluster stitches? And which cluster stitch is that? Sorry for all the questions, just wanting to do the same thing for my daughter!

For KnicKnac: I worked the top from the bottom up (using my daughter as a model every few rows!).

The stitch goes like this: Ch multiples of 3 to the width you want.

Row 1: Ch 2, 2 dc in third ch from hook. *Skip 2 ch, in next ch do sc and 2 dc.* Repeat between * to last three ch. Skip 2 ch and do just a sc in last ch. Ch 2, turn.

Row 2 and beyond: 2 dc in last sc of previous row. Skip 2 st, sc and 2 dc in next st (which will be a sc in the previous row). Continue to end of row, ending again with just a sc in the top of the ch 2 that started the previous row.

For the button holes, when I decided what row I wanted them to be on, instead of making the second cluster (sc and 2 dc) in that row, I just did a sc and 2 ch.

The cap sleeves are actually just decreasing rows of 3 dc clusters (with a sc between) and the whole thing is edged in single crochet. The trim on the bottom is three rows of (sc, ch 6, sc).

Please feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions!

Thank you Jeanmarie - I will make it work with the directions you have given me! I thought it might have been that stitch! I use that stitch on a bunch of stuff I have done. It's amazing how different yarns make the same stitch look different!

i love it. i have been trying to picture one to make for my daughter. i just could not figure out what yarn to use for the top. never thought of the microspun. was it easy to work with? i have a few fabrics already purchased for me to do list.

nadine

Mrs. D. I love it...The dress is so beautiful and original...You did a fantastic job....Keep us posted on other dresses you make....Love to see them....:clap

That is adorable!:manyheart Perfect for the first day of kindergarten! She will be the envy of all the little girls! You did an awesome job. I love all the "extra" little touches that you added...the buttons, the bottom of the crochet, the sleeves, the embroidery.

Let us know how you and her both do on her first day of kindergarten. I hope you do better than I did! (my son started last year). He was so excited:yay, but I was sooooo...emotional.:(

Very cute! She looks very happy to have her dress for the first day of Kindergarten. And Dora too! (I have two little girls myself -- one going into first grade and one into Kindergarten.) Very nice job. :U

Archived