Michaels---A good place for crochet, yarns, etc?

Bearsgrammy

We are getting a Michaels Craft Store here and I just wondered if they have a decent crochet section. Joann's is such a big disappointment in that regard lately--A.C. Moore is the best so far. Walmart here is small and not too much--can get some yarn there but not many new types of yarn. Please let me know if you have an opinion re Michaels. Thanks, friends.

My local Michaels has a wide variety of yarn and crochet supplies. They are usually good about keeping their yarn well stocked and can special order pretty much anything they normally carry.

On the flip side, they are not as "loose" about coupons as Jo-Anns is. They only take their coupons and competetors coupons which are originals. If you get Jo-Anns or Hobby Lobby ones in your e-mail, they won't take them. They'll also only allow one coupon per purchase per day.

However, they are the ONLY place in town that honors competetors sales prices. Just take the ad in with you and they will give you the items for the prices in the sales papers from other craft stores. My local Jo-Anns, HL, and Rag Shop don't offer this service.

Good luck to you!

The thing I like is their clearance bin. Hee! You will find cool stuff there, from time to time as they rotate it. Sadly, nobody in my area has bought what's in our bin, so nothing new has been there in a couple months, though. ;(

Michaels is good but ac moore is the best!!!! I go to michaels quite often and usually find what I need.

I enjoyed going to Michael's - it was the first place I knew there was yarn, before I discovered my LYS in Annapolis - though they didn't have the variety of ACMoore.

ACMoore was much further away, Michael's was closer, JoAnn's didn't have anything that Michael's didn't.

Actually, Michael's was where I got my learn to crochet book that promised to teach me how to do it by the time I finished the book - and it did!!:cheer

Well, that is so cool that Michael's will honor the competitor's price. I didn't realize that! They take the competitor's coupons too? I'll have to remember that!

I just went to Michael's yesterday and got 19 skeins of clearance yarn for 17 dollars!!:clap Most was Lion Brand baby yarn ($1), but they had some Patons Grace($1) and even Bernat Velour for $1!! But they only had three of those left. Also got 4 (all they had) red heart super saver for 50 cents each! I was so excited!!!!:cheer:hook

I like my local store. I've had great luck with the clearnce racks. I have never really found a yarn that only they carry. But, they always have a good supply of it. I have found that like with any chain store, the supply can vary a lot from store to store. Hopefully, you will get a good yarn section.

My local Michael's also honors AC Moore coupons. This is good since I get AC Moore coupons in mailers every week (and it's easy to pick up extras in the mail room trash.)

However, my AC Moore also has a much better yarn selection, so I usually shop there anyway.

My local JoAnne's, sadly, does not honor AC Moore coupons.

I'm pretty happy with Michael's but don't think they're any better than Joann's. None of the chain stores carry enough patterns. I hate having to order everything I really like and pay shipping charges.

The Joann's near me has virtually no yarn selection to speak of. For the longest time, I didn't like the Michael's yarn selection, but apparently someone hired a good yarn buyer, because suddenly they had a ton of yarn!

I have found that Michael's and Hobby Lobby don't have a lot of similarities in their stock (except for things like RH), so I like to go to both for a wide range of options. Michael's has some things my HL doesn't have, and vice versa. I'm fortunate that I have Michael's and HL very close to me currently, and that I'm in a big enough city that there are several locations of both throughout.

Archived