Book hogs!!

Guest PaisleyAngel

Guest PaisleyAngel

UGH!!! >: I just got back from a used book sale in my local library. I am SOOOOOOOOOOO annoyed! :mad I got in there and couldn't find the arts and crafts section. I went through each aisle and finally found it in the last aisle. Right as I walked up, a woman was lifting a huge 3-inch thick pile of old crochet magazines and putting them in her bag. I didn't even recognize the title. It was like All American Crochet or something like that. She then proceeded to take every single knitting book and put that in her bag too. She didn't even LOOK at any of the books or magazines to see what was in them. She just took them all and put them in her bag. I thought it was sooooooooooooo rude. :mad

I've gone to lots of used book stores and found a few crocheting things, but never much. Even so, I've never taken the entire section just to take them. I always look at them, take ones I am interested in and leave the others for other people. Like, I'm not into doilies. So I don't buy doily books, I leave them for threadies. I was just very upset about the whole thing.

She did miss a huge box of Bernat pattern leaflets though that was hidden behind the books. I only took two out of the 50 or so. Many were knitting. I did purchase: Linette by Bernat Book NUmber 250 from 1979 and Summer Medley by Bernat Book Number 262 from 1980. The shirts are a tad out of fashion, but I'm hoping in about 10 years for them to come back like the poncho did this year. :lol

Guest SamplerLady

Sorry, I would have done the same thing she did. Finding used crochet books, patterns, magazines is at a premium in this part of the world. (In fact, I don't think I've ever come across a book, pattern or magazine in our huge local used book/magazine/music/electronic chain If I came across a stash like that, I'd take them, too.

I personally think that's the benefit of used bookstores, Friends of the Library sales, freecycle and such. It's an inexpensive way to build up one's library. mmouseplus.gif

I am with you sampler.. I am sorry if that makes me rude Angel.. but I would have taken any crochet thing i could have found.. i look at it this way .. the early bird gets the worm .. just like at the Thrift shop here.. with the yarn.. I was in this morning and what wasnt being touched .. i was picking up.. and a lady was like.. " i was looking at that" as she was busy digging thru another basket of things hoping i wouldnt take it i am sure and all i could say was.. " well you werent holding it, so I am taking it " .. every thing i am interested in goes in my basket then i sort thru and put back what i seriously wont use.. I guess that makes me one of those rude people..

on the other hand .. I do put back what I wont use.. if I had picked up all those books I would have went and sat and looked thru them and then put back what i didnt want.. but i would have taken my time and sorted thru them.. i am not one on taking just for taking sake.. but I will take what I will use

Guest PaisleyAngel

You're not the only ones who have said that, so I guess it just means that I was the wrong one here. :( As for the early bird gets the worm, I was in the line with her when the sale opened. It opened at 10 a.m. and I got to the aisle at about 10:01-10:02. I don't think I could have gotten there any sooner. I wasn't saying that people aren't entitled to getting the books/mags if they are first, I was saying that it was rude of her to take it for taking's sake and not even glancing at anything was. If I had gotten to the aisle first, I would have held the pile, sat down and put back what I would not use, giving someone else a chance. I wouldn't have blindly taken everything. That's what I did with the leaflets, I sat on the floor and took what interested me, not every leaflet. I left nearly 50 leaflets for others to get. I was just very upset. I'm sorry if I upset anyone here. :( I certainly didn't mean to.

:o i feel bad, now.

i did the same thing:shrug at my library sale, i bee-lined to the craft (also the very last row) and took every knitting&crocheting book i could find - unless it was obviously thread - which i don't use. i also had the lady next to me looking for crochet (they were in NO kind of order) while i looked for all disney-any craft for her. we had a grand time trying to beat everyone else to the punch :box it was pretty funny, this little old lady and i conspiring with each other :P

hi angel, i'm sorry but i would have doen the same thing too, except i would have like you gone through them after i took them and put back what i couldn't use, but if you think about it, some people make their living at selling these on e-bay and first come first serve, although it sounds like she was a piggy, darn it how do i get one of the old emoticons to show up:? , hang in there though, check the other local librarys, i wish mine had some, they have nada about crochet:<> :cry , just my:twocents , vicki:bounce

Vicki, which emoticon were you looking for? The piggie? :pig He is still there, right about in the middle. Also, if you are looking for any emoticons you don't see, click on the "Complete List" link at the bottom of the emoticon section.

Guest Yarnentangled

Too bad she didn't share. It would have been the polite thing to do. What fun it would have been if you two could have sat on the floor and weeded through those treasures. She missed out. She could have met a fellow crochet fan and talked shop.

Instead she chose the grab-what-you-can-get-and-screw-everyone-else mentality.

What a greedy little pig.

Ah well, rise above it. She prolly got a stack of outdated Leisure Art books. You know, the patterns for those thick, funky neon colored, 80s zebra striped sweaters.

Guest PaisleyAngel

I'm sorry if I made anyone feel bad! I certainly didn't mean to. I've calmed down a lot since Saturday. hee hee :lol I totally understand people need to make a living and if she needed to sell them on ebay, then that's fine. I just wish I hadn't seen it so then I wouldn't have realized what happened! I've always been one to talk to the other ladies in the crafts section about what we're looking for, etc. I would've been helping that nice lady look for Disney stuff, too, Rebecca!! :) Oh well, there will be more book sales!! But probably only offering those 80s sweater books. hee hee, that's ALL I can find at my library!!! :lol

I know how you feel Pasily.. I would have been mad if I were in your shoes, :box but then, if I were in the book hog's shoes, I would have taken all the books I could get my hands on.. double standard? Yep.. I'm a mess!:rock

hi, i didn't mean to make you feel bad:)h , it would be nice if people were kinder i know. what kind of patterns are you looking for as i have soooo many would be glad to share. :)h i wish we had those sales here, the only think the liberarys here have are books and videos and that type of thing. oh well i need more books like a hole in the head:D! , talk with you soon. vicki:))

Guest PaisleyAngel

Hi Vicki! You're so sweet! :)h I'm sorry I didn't see this post earlier. I forgot to choose a subscription and then I forgot to check this forum over the last 2 weeks. I'm really trying to just build up my library, I like afghan and stuffed things patterns. But I couldn't take any one else's patterns. I would feel too bad! I actually have a lot I should be working on here, I just keep finding more. hehehehe :lol

me too, there is always another pattern or crochet mag i want!!!:bad , but i actually have a few extra issues of these same mags(crochet world and a few crochet fantasy) i want to sell them on e-bay but with my idenity being stolen, don't know that i will so if i decide to not do that is anyone interested in any of them? i have to go through and divide them, but all i would ask is postage. :D! have a super day. i'm off to clean my craft room:U :U :U :U :U :U :U , vicki:D!

Archived