Can you make a tablecloth with a heavier yarn?

I have been wanting to make a tablecloth for awhile now but I am really not too good with large thread projects and I know I'll never finish it if I start it.

This got me to thinking... Could you make a tablecloth with a heavier weight yarn like maybe sugar n cream or something? Sure it would be heavier, but it seems like it'd be easier to wash and clean than a thread one. I could also picture finishing it in my lifetime.

Just wondered if anyone had ever made one with a heavier weight yarn?

THANKS!

I can't see why not ...I made my 2 bedspreads (twin and a King) with Sugar & Cream and they wash and dry well ...I could even use the twin one for a tablecloth when I add the extension to the table..:D

You could just think of it as a table afghan. I think it is worth a try to make a table cover that is not made from thread. I can certainly understand your woe's about it. Tablecloth plus thread equals a very long WIP project. :eek Designers are always coming up with new and different ideas anyway.....It gets me tempted to try it too, because I don't think I have enough life-time left, to make a thread tablecloth either.

I've made placemats, coasters and curtains with worsted. A table cloth from cotton could be fun. Keep us updated if you come up with an idea!

I once read where someone used cotton yarn in place of thread for their doily patterns and ended up with really large table cloths that fit perfectly. They also used the same technique with acrylic yarn. It worked up bigger and faster.

I have a pattern that is a sunflower motif tablecloth. It uses Red Heart 100 % cotton (ww yarn) and a size H hook. It's a square turned on a angle so the corners of the table aren't covered.

I've seen people use quilts for table cloths, so why couldn't you use a heavier yarn? You'll have to use a small pattern or stop sooner because it'll be bigger.

There's this one (second one down) made with ww, even if you don't buy the pattern, it'll give you ideas. There's a flower one for a round table a little bit down.

http://www.vintageknits.com/table.html

:)

i can't wait to see what u come up with........I'm making a table cloth one fine day............just havent figured out which one yet.........gl in your adventure and if u need some encouragement make sure to take pics and drop by i'm sure almost all of us will help keep u going whether u choose thread.......ww yarn .........or even rope.......:cheer u go girl!!!!!! empress...... my gram had a tablecloth very similar to that......I wonder what ever happened to it???? :think

Archived