Crochet Graph Paper???

darncat

Is there such a thing as crochet graph paper. I know there is knitting graph paper but crochet? I try to make my own graphs and don't want to use the software. I tried standard graph paper but in tunisian the stitches are taller than they are wide. So when I chart it on regular paper it may look ok but when I make it it looks a little off. Any info would be great.

You can make your own with any size squares or rectangles. There are lots of sites where you can do it for free. Here are a few:

http://incompetech.com/beta/linedGraphPaper/plain.html

http://incompetech.com/beta/plainGraphPaper/ http://www.northtipton.com/graphp.htm

I've seen the knit graph paper where you put in your stitches and rows and it prints it up for you, but I've never found one made specifically for tunisian crochet.

You can use the ones she just mentioned or invest in a crochet program. I found the same problem as you with graph paper, so my hubby got me 2 different crochet programs. They are just wonderful, and I can import pics into either program, and its so easy. I have Filet Crochet, and I have Stitch Painter Gold, the latter of which is a little expensive. Have a great day

Thanx for the links I'll try those. Not to be a snoop but about how much do those programs cost. In the long run it might be better to get one even tho I like to make my patterns while watching tv. It might be better then paper, pencil and a huge eraser.

• 3 weeks later...

I've never been able to make graph paper work for crochet symbols. I get confused on the corners and I don't know if it's just me.. or if it's a trick I haven't learned yet. :think

I suspect it's just me :lol:yes:blush

I've never used the graph paper for symbol charting. I use it for tunisian crochet. I just color in the squares to make a pattern it also works for filet crochet. Tunisian stitches aren't square so when you make something you have to plan for the difference in sizes. Or the finished product will be elongated.

Have you tried using the knit graph paper sideways?? I believe that knit stitches are wider than they are tall, and you said that the Tunisian stitches are taller than they are wide...so maybe it could work if you turned the knitting graph on it's side??

Jessie

I thought of trying out that paper, but I just can't find any that's already made, like a pad of it. Chrome Kitty supplied a great link for graph maker but to tell you the truth I just can't figure it out. :think

• 7 months later...
Darncat - I make my own graph paper in MS Excel. Just make the rows/columns taller/shorter or wider/narrower. Then add a light border on all the cells and you've got it done.

Once you have the dimensions you want, just save the file.

Krystal can you pm me with a copy of the grahp paper you have made? I would like to see how to make it myself. I have never done a graph before. Do you use sc or tunision?

Thanks for your time

Have you tried using knit graph paper, just on it's side? Since knits are wider than they are tall and crochet is the opposite.... Just a thought.

Hmmm, never thought of that. I'll pick some up and give it a try. Thanks!!!:hug

I buy a pad of graph paper in an art store, and I use it for my own filet designs. I make the blocks with one dc, and the mesh with one ch, so the designs come out ok.

I did use it once for a tunisian design , and yes, to my horror, my designs were elongated. There is a book out on designs in sc, but I can't figure out the graphs offered in the book.

Carol Ventura has designed graph paper specficially for crochet (tapestry crochet, but it's for single crochet) She even has right and left hand versions. You can find it in her book, "More Tapestry Crochet". (Your Library may have a copy) She also has it posted on-line in the Tapestry Crochet Yahoo group. It is slanted, to take into consideration the fact that crochet stitches do not line up right under each other, but are at a slant. Once you've drawn the design on the crochet graph paper, she recommends copying it (tracing it) over to regular graph paper to make it easier to follow while you are crocheting. I know she is a member here... maybe she will see this thread?

Joan

Archived