Public display of crochet PDC

Guest Yarnentangled

the dishcloths are very cute.. i have to get the 63 squares booklet so badly but keep spending all my spare $$ on yarn... finally was able to locate another yarn shop near me that I've been hunting for for awhile ( it was hiding in the basement of an old church. what a weird spot) and since then i feel like i live there or something. two hours to vote is such a long time... took me only a few minutes (my first time too! how exciting) but i heard some places near me had to call in police w/ riot gear b/c things were getting violent and voters were scared. how :( that it couldn't have been more peaceful - i'm glad that your trip was productive though! :clap :clap

wow, that would be scary. i wonder what it is that makes people sooo angry, i mean we live in america, not a communist state, why cause problems? anyways was glad that it all worked out for you. i think it is a wonderful idea that they had for disabled people. before i became disabled, i always tried to help someone in need, but never really fully understood the problems that are faced by people. and for someone to do something like that its great.:)h so glad that you got through it alright without any problems. i would be afraid to go in to a situation like that, where was that at that they were doing that?:? talk with you soon vicki:)h

Waiting rooms......definitely! Any place I know I have to wait for a period of time....I take my crochet.

I've gotten a lot of comments from older ladies like, "I though that was a lost art." or "That's lovely." It's a nice conversation starter and I've always had pleasant results.

Young ladies usually tell me they wish they could learn to do it with all the crochet things coming in fashion.....I always tell them to get a I Taught Myself To Crochet and go for it! If I can do it....anybody can!

:bounce

Yup, I sure do crochet in public.

The comments I get are usually, "I tried crocheting, but my stitches were always too tight." That used to bother me!!!! Then I thought of a great reply, "Well, they you would be great at thread crochet. Give it another try!"

Some more comments I get are, "I used to crochet, but I don't have time for it anymore." "I want to learn to crochet, but I am left-handed and no one can teach me." This is my favorite comment, because, there is no excuse for them now. I am left handed!! :rofl Another one, "Will you make me something?"

I think I've shared this before, but I crochet on the train every day going to and from work. I also crochet on my breaks, and after I eat my lunch during my lunch break.

I have taught several co-workers to crochet, and I have inspired others to get out projects that have long sat in a closet somewhere.

On my morning commute I sit with two women who crochet; one is a beginner (who has caught on so quickly that it's inspiring!) and the other is a long time thread crochet wizard!!! (she is currently working on a christmas tree garland - thread crocheted around a strand of red glass beads - talk about patience!)

On the evening commute I sit with another beginner (she says, "afghans only please!"). She asks lots of questions... she is doing well. She might have an afghan done by Christmas!

Commuters in both the morning and evening train ask questions. "What are you knitting/sewing?" (doesn't ANYONE know crocheting when they see it?) or "What are you working on NOW?" (I tend to switch projects a LOT cuz I get bored easily.) Mostly I get compliments. I have seen a few people roll their eyes... but I think that's just because they are jealous. :D!

"I tried crocheting, but my stitches were always too tight."

You know, I had that problem when I first started, but then I just realized I need to use bigger hooks than most people do. If a pattern calls for an I hook, I usually end up using a K - and the stitches come out exactly like they're supposed to. At first I kept trying to crochet looser and got all frustrated--when I started using bigger hooks everything starting going much more smoothly...

I crochet in public all the time. I take it in the car whenever I have to wait for one of my girls. I take it to all their basketball games. I never get any rude comments, except from my family! Not my husband and kids, but others. My mother is horrible. Any time we have a family get together, she is like "do you have to bring that all the time??" Guess that's another reason we hate to go to her house. I don 't like to waste time! I can't even watch a movie without doing crochet or laundry!

Depending on what I'm working on, I'll take it with me. When I was crocheting the Winnie-The-Pooh characters, I would take them to my dtr's swimming lessons every day, and actually had people getting out of their cars to come see (Pooh was nearly finished, and how often do you see someone with a headless bear?).

Otherwise, I haven't ever gotten much in the way of comments, but in person I don't appear to be the kind to enjoy small talk, which I actually do enjoy. How is it possible for someone to "look" asocial? LOL

Over the years I've definately crocheted in public as have my friends...usually in the breakroom at work...but certainly in other places too.

Over here I see more knitting in public...on the trolly, some senior citizen with four needles...I know 9 times out of 10 she's making socks...

In Washington State, usually on the ferry boats, I would see alot of crafting while commuting...this could be crocheting, knitting, needlepoint, cross stitch, embroidery, whatever...I'm all for it...

Archived