Public display of crochet PDC

Guest Yarnentangled

Guest Yarnentangled

Do you crochet in public? What kind of comments do you get?

I don't regularly tote my crochet around but when I have I don't receive too many comments except the occasional "Whatcha makin'?" or "My grandma can crochet in her sleep".

Crochet and knitting is supposed to be hot right now though I don't see a lot of people openly working on their craft. Is there still the "little old lady" stigma going on?

I crochet in public every chance I get, mainly because I crochet every chance I get. I haven't heard one negative comment, and I guess I would challenge anyone who made one. What's so wrong about making things with your hands anyway? The best places to see people crocheting (or knitting) seems to be waiting rooms in doctor offices. I think you have to be totally addicted to crochet while waiting for food to appear at your local diner after you've ordered. Or while in line at the drive thru at the bank. :))

I also crochet in waiting rooms!! :D! The only comments I get is usually positive. Though I have heard people say "I havent seen anyone crocheting in a long time" or "she is young to be crocheting" which strikes me as funny as I am 43. But no matter it makes me happy. :)) I also crochet on long car rides (when I am the passenger)ha ha! I find it makes the trip go faster. And my family is used to seeing me crochet at the family gatherings too! While we gab I crochet or knit. I just cant seem to sit and do nothing w/my hands. It makes me fidget :hyper . Maybe soon we will see more crocheters all over :fc .

Kelly V

I always take it with me if we're going to be in the car awhile. Also have started taking some everywhere. (You never know when you will have a wait).

Have never had anything but positive remarks.

I think there will always be that little old lady stigma , just like people who don't know my tattooed hubby are scared of him when he's on his motorcycle in his sleevless shirt,:rotfl he's the sweetest man in the world they should see him cuddling his chihuahuas:yes .

I do sometimes crochet in public , it just depends on wether I feel like lugging my stuff around. I don't look like a little old lady, not yet anyway, and my kids say I'm cool.

My hubby still say's I knit:irked . I do not now nor have I ever knit, is what I say>: , not that I don't want to learn.

I crochet in public all the time. I take my crochet with me while I wait the 10 minutes for my daughter to get out of school, I crochet in waiting rooms of hospitals, in the car during driving trips... My girls and I wear my crochet creations all the time too so I get many questions about them.

I've crocheted in public, mostly waiting rooms and when I'm minding the cash register at work. The comments I get are usually either "what are you making?" but sometimes I run into older women who crochet who are really thrilled and surprised to see someone younger crocheting.

While I was standing in line for an hour and a half to get a flu shot last week at the county senior center (I have asthma so had to get a vaccine), I was wearing one of my crochet hats and a woman asked me if someone made it for me, and she was surprised I'd made it myself, said she doesn't see too many younger people who are interested in it...

i crochet everywhere - now the questions are "what ya doin now?" i've had a lot of people say "i wish i could do something like that" so i've taught several people from this -

i also spin in public - i love my drop spindle, if i'm going to be somewhere walking that i know i can't crochet, i spin. especially sam's club - hubby pushes the basket and i make yarn - people stare 8o

:lol

I crochet at dance class, swimming lessons, and last year, soccer practice. My favorite comments are, "Oh, you're crocheting. I knit." or "How cute, you crochet." :irked I crochet a lot on car trips and if I'm lucky to have the girls nap on the plane, during trips home. I always take a project with me to class, but I usually spend break time running for coffee at Starbucks.

i crochet in public all of the time. i take it to the mall and just sit there and crochet. have had several people ask me what i was doing and when i tell them they are like oh i wish i could do that, and i always carry an extra hook with me and show them how. in fact yesterday when i was at walmart i was looking for camaflouge yarn to make my army bears(they are sooooo cute, almost done with the first one) anyways this lady asked me a question about a poncho pattern, i asked her how long she had been crocheting as it was not a easy pattern to follow(to hard for a beginner) and she says i don't know how but would love to learn, she told me that she was sending the pattern and yarn to a lady in mass. that was charging her an arm and leg to make crocheted items and i asked her how much the lady was going to charge her(i'm nosy) and she says, she was supplying the yarn, pattern, and shipping and they lady was charging her 200.00 for one little poncho. i about went nuts. here was this lady who had alittle money to spare telling me she was getting ripped off. i asked her if she would like to learn and she hugged me and said ohhhh would you teach me, i want to learn so bad that i can't stand it and no one will teach me. so as i was buying a new hook as my dd needed one to work on her scarf( i taught her on the weekend) i opened it and showed her the basic stitches like the sc, then i asked her to give me her e-mail address and that i would help her with any questions. she e-mailed me and told me she couldn't believe that anyone would be so kind as to teach her to crochet, in the middle of walmart of all places, and thanked me over and over. so now i have a new friend and we have a new crocheter out there, isn't that cool. i was so happy to help her. she said she wanted to learn so that she could help others by making blankies and such. i sent her some sites to check out and would like to send her here, does anyone have a problem with that?:? i don't think any of you wonderful people will but wanted to ask anyways:blush , hope your all having a great afternoon. vicki:bounce

That's such a touching story Vicki it brought tears to my eyes! Such a sweet thing to do.

I for one would be happy if you sent her.

I had someone tell me once after helping her that crocheters are the nicest people! Of course I agreed with her!

Guest zoezzoo

I crochet everywhere I go...I carry my 'security' bag of crochet with me, and add a few stitches every chance I get. In fact, I'm making a quick scarf for the lady who works at the local coffee shop..she wants to learn, needs a stress-reliever, and I'm hoping the scarf will be the trick to get her to sit down long enough to learn! I'm going to fix her up a little crochet bag of her own, so she won't have any excuses.

Anyway, people are always asking me what I'm making, and my doctor always says 'you still doing that?' Yep, and it helps me stay calm in a frantic world.

Crocheting rocks! :rock

I think your friend would enjoy it here, I sure do!

:hug

zoezzoo

(deb)

I take my crochet bag everywhere. If i'm going to be sitting and waiting I usually whip it out, especially if I'm working on a big project and need to get as much crocheting in as possible.

I get a lot of looks and compliments. I always tell people how easy it is and that I bought a book and taught myself.

I would love to teach people to crochet, that would be so cool. The more the merrier.

:grouphug

I take crocheting to Dr appointments and usually have a small project with me at school for in between classes. I've never gotten any negative comments or looks that I've noticed, but then I'm looking at my project not other people, LOL!

Guest mishakitty78

I crochet in public a lot, too. My SO likes to go get coffee and hang out there. Since I don't know the people there, I like to hide in my crochet. It's nice, too, as it gives me something to do and talk about if I have too. :D! I also take the bus home from work sometimes and crochet there. People really seem to like to see it and often ask about what I'm doing.

Usually people say "Oh, My _______ knits." I, too, have to hold off smacking them. :bang Perhaps we need a public crochet awareness day!

I started carrying something to class every day... Sometimes the lecture is something I do not have to take many notes on, so I can crochet while I listen, and I also usually have a few minutes before class starts that I pull it out, and I have gotten a few people say something about me knitting... I correct them right away with the easiest difference (knitting=2 pointed needles, crocheting= one hook). They are usually suitably impressed, especially when I finish something up, and they really see what I am making :D!

Guest SamplerLady
Usually people say "Oh, My _______ knits."
mmouseplus.gifDon't feel bad. In my last life when I did counted cross stitch, more people than should be legally allowed asked what I was knitting. Then about 2/3 that number asked what I was sewing. All but about 8.5% wanted to know why I'd bother doing it or "whatcha gonna do with it when you're done?" with a tone of "What a waste of time! You could be playing video games!"

Since I started re-incorporating reading in my life, I usually take a book with me instead of crocheting. Although if I'm going to be someplace where I have to listen instead of take up space, I'll take crocheting.

I have crocheted as a patient in a hospital, in the OBs office while waiting for one of my miscellaneous six kids to be born, movie theaters, classrooms, cafes, and coffee houses...

I have crocheted a few times in public. People also asked what I was knitting. I said I was crocheting and told them what I was making and they just said "oh", like it was stupid. I was showing someone at work something I had made and a coworker told me I was too young to be a "knitting grandma" (I'm in my 40's). It makes me feel bad :( I was somewhere yesterday and the person next to me was knitting and we had a nice conversation admiring each others work. That was nice :) . I usually sit in my car and crochet while waiting for my kids.

Happy :jack :jack :jack :jack

I take my crochet everywhere I go. usually i don't have any comments. But if I do it it usually something about knitting.

I recently waited about 20 min. at the airport for my husband. I stood outside leaning against a pole and crocheted the whole time. Got a lot done and no one said a word to me.

Crocheted on the plane with no problem used crystilites hooks and fingernail clipper for scissors. :)

THE BEST COMMENT: while waiting for my nephew's baseball game to begin, my neice and I were crocheting outside the ball field. A MAN came up to us and said, "you're are crocheting! I used to do that when I was on the High School Football team. It was sooo relaxing" His wife said she thought we were knitting. :ducky

I crochet every chance I get, so even in public, and on car rides. My boyfriend drives a souped up Mustang and when we drive he will be all tough and fast, and i will be yelling because my yarn is rolling everywhere - quite a sight the two of make. The only bad comments i get are from my friends who call me weird because i have to finish a row or stitch or whatever before i can pay then full attention... but people who don't know me usually only ask what I am making, what kind of yarn, what I am "knitting" - does that one drive me nuts, when did i learn, etc etc, but more and more lately people are sharing their stories too - how then have taken up crochet or are learning to knit... just today at the flea market i overheard a guy comment on this woman's poncho, and ask if it was handmade. she replied no, saying that she could've made it though, b/c she does crochet, and he piped up with SO DO I!! it was fabulous. :)h

thats so cool. i wish more guys would crochet. i told me dh i would teach him how to relieve his stress and he was like "noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo" sissy baby i told him:bad , and now dd crochets too so he is outnumbered around here. wonder if i could teach the cat:? :bad :bad :bad :bad :bad then he would be wayyyyy outnumbered. i know what you mean about finishing a row or whatever, on:jack i was crocheting and the bell rang for the 2 kids we did get and i had to finish counting before i could answer the door:lol :luckily they know me and waited or we would have had none:<> , now have a ton of candy to dispose of, told the kids to take it to school with them(my dd is in college and ds teaches at university) so it would be alright, i just need it out of here:bang :bang :bang :bang :bang take care, vicki:D!

I crocheted today while I stood in line to vote (2 hours). Nobody called it knitting :D! and people seemed impressed. I made one dishcloth and started another. You can see them here on my blog. :cloud9

way to go donna!!!!:clap :clap :clap , you had to wait 2 hours:? :U :U :U :U :U , thankfully i didn't cause i couldn't have done it, back won't let me stand that long:<> love the looks of them too, great job:)h vicki

Thank you, Vicki! :fluffy I used the seed stitch ~ very easy and pretty. It's #14 in the 63 Pattern Stitches booklet. The time went by quickly since I was crocheting. :)h They had curbside voting for the disabled, and I don't know what you had to do to qualify for that, but I'm glad it was there and maybe you would have been able to vote that way if you had encountered a line that long. :thinking1

Archived