Sock MOnkey POncho on Ebay - a CopyCat!

Okay - i'm just a little bit upset - someone just knocked off my sock monkey poncho and hat set - here's the link COPYCAT! - they didn't even try to change it up any. Should I be upset????? I just saw it and first thought - is this the one I made that the person didn't like????? but its not mine - because frankly I think mine looks a little better - oh well - I sent them a note and said I guess copying is a form of flattery - she'll probably write me back and tell me where to go.

Sorry - guys just wanted to get that off my chest!!! Thanks for listening!!:blah

Guest PaisleyAngel

I think you have a right to be upset. Sure, it's a form of flattery, but it's like stealing too. If you had sold the pattern to her, it'd be one thing, but just copying it seems wrong. :(

Ugh. :U

She lives near me! Want me to go and hurt her? :tryme

I'm sorry this happened to you. :grouphug

Wow Deb - thanks for the offer to do that!!!!

But, well let her slide this time...because as I was ranting and raving to my sister on the phone about it she said - well its a compliment - isn't it?? I'm still not convinced - I try, but not always give credit to patterns I've used. She could have at least changed it up a little!

The funny thing is that she just replied to me that she also sold one of a 'hello kitty' poncho for $60 but got in trouble with Ebay regarding copyright laws....blah blah blah! She didn't even get that I was criticizing her for copying me - so I replied to her with my original ebay link of the same poncho and told her I was flattered!!!

Okay - now i'm over it - thanks for hearing me out ladies!!!!

Guest mishakitty78

Holy cow, she totally ripped you off! :<> (<-- that's the smiley for 'grrrr!') I *know* it's flattery but that is still really poor. As you noted, though, she really didn't seem to get it. Sigh.

I posted about this before; I had a lady not completely copy my item but totally rip off my descriptioins, color names, etc. Which sounds silly and picky but I felt like I wrote her copy for it and she just cut and pasted (which is what she did). I can only imagine how you feel.

It's so annoying when people do this! At least we all know it was your idea!

i would tell her she was infringing my copyright.. and if she didnt wanna get sues she would take it off.. i know you dont hold the copy right but she doesnt have to know that.. and YES..yours looks hella better than hers.. i would have told her .. well any one here that knows me can insert explicative here.. and deb... when are we hunting her down??

Yours was soooo much better:clap !! You know I was flipping through mags the other day and saw a baby poncho that resembled the one you made I thought wow that really is cute I might make 1 (not sock monkey though) for my neighbors baby.

Just be happy in the fact that she didn't do nearly as good a job as you did.:hug Sorry she made you mad.

That's just rotten! Did you notice her username? It seems appropriate enough. I think her work is sloppy and the fact that there's only 11 hours to go and not a single bid on her stolen work, well, it looks like other people see that too! Maybe you can take heart in that. :grouphug Sorry this happened to you though.

Marvie

:tryme Come on over Elizabeth. :D! We can pummel that copycat. (then steal her stash of yarn. to the victor go the spoils!)

Let me assure all of you that I am NOT really a violent person. :wink Honest!

Take heart :)h darlin'! Your creations ARE much prettier than hers.

I saw her poncho set too - yours is SO much nicer looking!! I think it's inevitable that people are going to sell the same type of crochet items, but when it comes to a custom pattern or design that you made yourself and then sell the finished piece on ebay, that if someone wants to do the same thing (copy the look of yours) they should ASK first! It's not like this sock monkey poncho set is in any pattern book, right? This is an original idea by our good friend Carmen and this is blatent copying. Cant blame her though - if she saw yours sell for such a high price she figured she should do it too! But she really should have asked to make sure there wouldnt be a problem.

:hug

I just looked at yours and yes it's sooo much cuter than the other one.I for some reason thought your's had a little turtle neck sorta collar :blush ?? Your's is super cute and yes you should list it why not you came up with the idea.Maybe make a little stuffed monkey to sell with it ??

Lil~

After all the comments above, of course I had to go look at yours. Nope, it's not yours, but boy the similarity! That was supposed to be sarcastic. Anyway, it's still 3 hours till bidding closes and there are still no bids :cheer2 so hopefully that will be enough to vindicate you. It could have something to do with her low user rating too...

Sorry this happened to you hun.

I see she's revised and added "Last Time On Ebay". Well, perhaps she had NO idea that taking your idea and selling it in the very same place you were selling yours was wrong? :bang

Have you thought about selling your pattern? You could continue to sell originals on Ebay (as Chelle does with her sweater jacket) but I think a lot of crocheters would buy the pattern for their own use! (I know I would! Hint, Hint, Hint.) :bounce

This just seems totally against Ebay's rules! It is copyright infringment:

From EBAY's Prohibited and Restricted section:

A copyright is the legal protection given in the United States to original works of authorship, including books, paintings, photos, music, video, software, and so forth. Copyright protection attaches to a work the moment it is fixed in tangible form (on paper, on video, and so forth) and prevents others from exploiting the work without permission.

Thanks all for the continued support - heres the follow-up- One of my friends today - said 'I know why it upsets you - because she's messing with 2 things you love!!! Sock Monkeys and Crochet!!" I thought that was so funny. I decided I was going to give her some competition and re-listed mine to sell again. She must have me tagged or something - because as soon as the listing went up she sent me a question through and it said - Mine didn't sell - good luck to you though...I may just put it up in the boutique. I listed it again for 3 days this time. Well then a little later I get an email from her that says 'Just so you know I do not want to cause any ill will with fellow vendors on EBay - I am removing my item - it will only be listed for 2 more hours and I will not place it on ebay again. Thank [/b] - Not sure what that was about, I think someone might have sent her an email about what she did and I hope so - finally she got the hint and canceled her auction. So that's the end of it - I hope! I'm so thankful that I have this wonderful board to come and talk about the good things and the bad - you guys are so supportive and wonderful!!!:grouphug

Archived