Ohhh, its a hand crocheted gift!

Guest Yarnentangled

I always fret over giving homemade gifts because some people think it's the price tag, not the thought. I make my own soap, bath salts, candles and lotions and have been giving out them for the past two Christmas's. I started crocheting last year and made some cotton face cloths to go with the baskets this year. Well, once I got "hooked", I made two lapghans for gifts, some scarves, three ponchos and some hats.

I gave my mother a poncho just "because" and she wore it to work. From that I got two orders to make them for other people. Then I made Chelle's hat and posted a picture and got an order from a girl my husband works with. I also made a poncho for my 12 year old neighbor, and she wears it all the time (makes you feel good). My DD is 4 1/2 and won't wear her poncho to school because "whenever she wears it out, people stop her and tell her how cute it is" and this embarasses her. Now, she has a b'day party this Saturday and I made a poncho/skull cap set for a gift (the Starbrite one in the pic). I'm hoping the little girl likes it and when my DD sees her with one, she'll wear hers too.

Anyway, I know how you feel. We live in a very materialistic world and unfortunately you can't change how people feel. So, this year I'm giving half homemade gifts and half store bought gifts.

Believe it or not, I've been crocheting for a yar now and have never made anything for myself. I have two patterns set aside for "me", but keep putting them off.

I've had people ask me to make up a "bath" basket with candles, soaps, etc over the past two holiday seasons. I do have one lady who received my soap as a gift and now buys it from me. Shipping could be high though. I never tried to "market" my toiletries. I started making the soaps for my family and it sort of snowballed. We still only use my handmilled soaps. If you have any questions about making your own or about what I do, email me at dsa0901@juno.com.

Deneen

You know...handmade is the best...but really only to those that can appreciate the thought behind the gift in the first place. I've noticed that many times gift receivers fall into two categories...those that only want commercially made gifts that they pick out themselves and others that look beyond the materialness of the gift to the giver and realising that the giver was truly thinking of them and making or giving something they thought the receiver would like.

To be fair, there are two kinds of givers...those that stop and think a moment if the gift they are making or buying truly suits the person they are giving the present for...

I make a large amount of gifts over the course of the year. Of all kinds of things...not just crocheting (yes, this year many people will receive hand crocheted items...) but handmade toilettries, handmade cards, copies of pictures I've take, stories I've written...

The most hurtful thing that ever happened to me was by my own mother, who normally appreciated my work. I was extremely poor one year monetarily but had lots of yarn, so I made afghans for people. My mom, I actually scraped money together to buy yarn and I thought I had carefully picked out the colors for her. Before Christmas eve turned into Christmas Day and after I had left her place, she gave it away to her friend and told me later, "Next time, let me pick the colors..." It hurt to the core...and another time she got angry with me and the kitty musical dolls I had especially made for her almost ended up in the trash...my sister saved them and gave them back to me...

I have another sister that just isn't into the whole "arts and craft" thing. She has been coming around to appreciating the time and talent...but to her, it's just all too "homemade" for her...so I'm careful about what I do for her...and I'm okay with it...

But probably one of the worst things I ever heard was in a one day seminar for starting one's own business...I was asked what I thought my business would be, and at that time my talents were limited pretty much to crocheting...this was about 20 years ago...and when I said "crocheting" the speaker quipped something sarcastic about that not being much of a business because one can only have so many "toilet paper" covers and doilies...how bloody shortsighted of that woman...I've thought of her often these past 3 months as I've discovered all the websites and businesses related to crocheting (just crocheting) on the internet...

Too many people have a very narrow view of what crocheting is...it's not just afghans and doilies and toilet paper covers and dish towel toppers...as you all know...

You know most of my friends are shocked to find out that there are wonderful sock patterns that are crocheted...

And the pieces I've done for gifts this year...unless I've missed my mark, I think my friends and family will like...because I carefully selected designs and patterns that I think are in keeping with who they are.

As for your SIL...I would probably not give her any of your handmade items...yet...let her see what you create and pay attention to her reaction...her prejudice may simply be on the craft itself and not you...

:wangel

Archived