I have to share a funny crochet story...

I've been crocheting since I was ten...and I think my cousin has since she was about ten too...we are both over 40, and we have been a bit rebellious in our crocheting...normally we don't follow patterns, don't do gauges, but just go along our merry way, make things and have a good time. However, in the last three months I've been going great guns with crocheting and printing out tons of patterns from the internet (truly had no idea what a gold mine that is until recently) and actually been trying to improve my skills and learn something. I'm still a rebel, but I've been learning the value of things like the proper hook for certain things and certainly the importance of gauge...

My cousin's daughter wanted her mom to make her a poncho...cool...I find her the links for tons of poncho patterns...and away she goes...for about a week...and then I get an email..."something doesn't look right, it looks too small..." so I ask for the link to the pattern and try to figure out where she went astray...

She tells me right off the bat that she knows she did at least one thing wrong...the pattern called for 86 foundation chain and then the stitch pattern itself was sc, ch 1, sc and repeat...all she did was sc...no ch in between...but she goes on saying that the panel was suppose to measure something like 36 inches and instead measures only 10 inches...so...I look over the pattern...size M hook...I write back...what size hook are you using, what letter? She writes back..."Oh my hook doesn't have a letter...it just says 1/1.95MM" and I'm thinking "I bet it's an "I" hook" and go through my hooks just to verify...sure enough...she's using a hook 4 sizes smaller than the pattern is called for...then I ask if she did a gauge..."oh my bad, I never do a gauge...I don't understand how to do a gauge..." and I'm dying on the other side of the computer because although I seldom do gauges myself I'm thinking, "why did you decide on this pattern if you weren't going to follow any part of it...

So I proceed to inform her that the pattern, with a size M hook was going to make a poncho that would fit Jabba the Hut (and her daughter is like a 4th of the size of Jabba...meaning she's tall, but slender) and that's the main reason the piece was so much smaller...I asked her if she was aware that it called for working with two strands of yarn at the same time..."Oh yeah, but Lizzie didn't want that...thought it would be too heavy..." I'm shaking my head...but to be fair...when I looked at the pattern, I think the reason she opted for this pattern was it had a diagram of the pieces and how they were put together...

The last part truly cracked me up though...she wrote, "M hook, now is that bigger or smaller than the I hook..." and I was kind and wrote back explaining the differences between steel and plastic/aluminum hooks...but to myself I'm thinking, "it stands to reason that if the pattern is calling for an "M" hook and she's using an "I" hook and what she's done is much smaller than it should be, then the "M" hook would be bigger.

I swear...I felt like I was living a "blond" joke...except that I'm the smart blond and she's a burnette...go figure...

I have no doubt the poncho will turn out fine...I gave her some ideas how she can turn her mistake into a miracle...I'll keep you posted on what happens...

Gotta love my cousin...

I'm glad I've tickled a couple of funny bones...I keep saying to myself...remember you're just as much of a rebel as she can be...but I also problem solve alot on my own...she's always asking for help and truly I don't mind giving it...but this poncho thing has just made me shake my head more than once.. I can hardly wait to see it finished and find out how it turns out...

Now, in fairness I have my own "anti-gauge" story...back when I was a juinor in high school I crochet a beautiful shawl and in fact I had that shawl up until about 12 years ago. Made it back in the 70's and I think I still have the pattern at my home in the states. Anyway, then I really didn't know, understand or really have any guidance on the gauge thing...and the pattern instructions were a bit confusing for me...I understood the stitch pattern okay, but didn't understand the amount of yarn or even the type of yarn I was suppose to get. I got wayyyyyy too much yarn and it took a few years to use it all up...anyway, I'm following the pattern row by row and I'm like within 5 rows and the shawl, although a triangle, was like bedspread...and I'm exaggerating here...but it seemed like it was made for a king sized bed...it was beautiful...it really was. I had crocheted it with probably either an I or K hook and with Red Heart Wintuck white yarn...it had something like a sc,hlfdbl, dble, treble, dble, hlfdbl, sc shell pattern throughout...I got an A on it in home ec and wore it to my juinor prom. No, unfortunately I don't have a picture of it. And now I wish I still had it...oh well...another example of "Gauge? We don't need no sticking gauge!!!" Truth be told, it depends...like I told my cousin...when it's something I make for myself, I gauge it to me...if it's an afghan, who cares? But over the past 3 months, I have a better appreciation for gauge!

Oh how funny. Aren't you a fabulous patient, cousin! Maybe she'll learn something about gauge and hook size now, thanks to you!

Kathleen

P.S. I hate following gauge and hook size too. I'd rather "wing it," so I do understand your cousin's POV.

I've noticed many patterns will also say, "whatever hook to obtain gauge..." believe me, I understood the POV...it just cracks me up that she really didn't follow the pattern at all and she's sitting there going, 'why isn't this working?' She doesn't know that she's given me ammunition for years now...hahahahaha...but right now I won't tease her...I want her to finish the poncho first.

I need to send her an email or post in her journal at another site and ask her for a progress report on the poncho...I'm making the Berry Bobble backpack in blue to go with the poncho for Elizabeth (her daughter) for Christmas...:wangel

Again, I'm glad I made some people laugh...

I can relate!! Gauge??? I am supposed to check gauge? I only started doing that when I started knitting. In knitting a sweater I check otherwise I dont bother. That was a funny story! I got a big chuckle out of that:rofl Please let us know how the poncho turns out!

Kelly v

speaking of knitting...I found a great book I'm giving to a friend of mine who knits, called "Stitch and Bitch" anyone heard of it? It's a great book and I may have to acquire my own company...anyway, what has that to do with the poncho...welll...as I was reading it I finally discovered why "ripping out" for knitting and crocheting is called "frogging" (in all the years of knitting and crocheting I had never heard that term before...anyway the reason is ... and forgive me if you all already know this...a frog goes ribbit and you go rip it, rip it and you're tearing out rows of stitches...

Which now brings me to the poncho...I asked my cousin today how the poncho was going...she completely frogged that whole "too small" panel and will start over with a bigger hook, what size, I don't know...I'll make sure to find out all the details as she gives them...she said she will keep tape measure in hand and measure from time to time...but that if the poncho becomes too big, she'll keep for herself and find another pattern for her daughter...okay...

Gotta love my cousin...sweet lady...:wangel

Archived